Was browsing Brickshelf today and came across this masterpiece...honestly on my all-time favorites list. The builder, going by 'KidA' made this amazing GT86 MOC, with very intricate suspension and some of the best bodywork I have ever seen. His other builds include RC builds similar to mine, but with the official Lego Radio Control system. This car in particular is so great it has inspired me to start a new project I've had on hold for a while (another vehicle) testing some ideas I've had. Here are some photos and a link to his Brickshelf: (sorry if photos are too large)

img02.jpg

img03.jpg

img09.jpg

img08.jpgimg10.jpg

Link to the MOC folder: GT86

I have never seen him mentioned here and I would love to discuss the model in-depth if anyone knows him.

EDIT: Found a video!

Edited by z3_2drive

I was hoping someone would try and learn something about this amazing car. I believe this car was featured on The Lego Car Blog. Also does anyone know if "KidA" is featured or has an account in another Lego Technic forum?

There is no doubt this is a well built model with some innovative ideas and a good use of parts. The only negative for me is the body work. It's a bit empty for me, but that would not stop me from buying it if it were a set.

H

There is no doubt this is a well built model with some innovative ideas and a good use of parts. The only negative for me is the body work. It's a bit empty for me, but that would not stop me from buying it if it were a set.

H

I guess that is the trade off if you want speed. This is really nice. Does anyone know what springs are being used for the front suspension?

I guess that is the trade off if you want speed. This is really nice. Does anyone know what springs are being used for the front suspension?

I hear what you are saying The suspension is very clever. I would like to know what springs they are myself.

H

I am just wondering how stable that front axle is only using a stud width to support it. That is why I was wondering what springs they were.

this car looks epic :)

you know how much i love fast and light cars...really well done

I am just wondering how stable that front axle is only using a stud width to support it. That is why I was wondering what springs they were.

I believe they are the springs from 42007 and 8051.

I believe they are the springs from 42007 and 8051.

I do not think so ... these appear to be some custom springs as the ID (inner diameter) seems large enough for an axle connector to go inside ...

It seems to be a regular large shock spring, just removed from the shock itself. I have many of these and will attempt to re-create this setup!

I do not think so ... these appear to be some custom springs as the ID (inner diameter) seems large enough for an axle connector to go inside ...

I think I figured it out, it is a shock absorber from 42007 and 8051, but the spring itself was cut in length so you have the same dampening action while having the same spring which is pushed up against the gearbox piece:

mDw-mk1SPFq8vJDZSY_op2w.jpg

I think he just used those springs and that piece to make the spring stiffer, like ATR's idea of putting a half bush in a 6L spring... I always wondered if something like that was possible with 9L springs.

Very cool car! :thumbup:

Any one work out what output he took the drive from on the RC buggy motors?

I would say very close to 1:1, maybe a differential in there as well. It is hard to tell since the rear chassis is covered.

It's direct drive from the faster output. Two RC motors. In the video the car accelerates a bit slow and reaches 15 km

img12.jpg

I think he just used those springs and that piece to make the spring stiffer, like ATR's idea of putting a half bush in a 6L spring... I always wondered if something like that was possible with 9L springs.

The front springs are a custom design similar to that of Piterx's in his Ford Fiesta but in a larger scale. The gearbox parts are used to hold the spring in place.