Sign in to follow this  
Lasse D

Identify these LEGO cars

Hi fellow Eurobrickers.

When LEGO introduced the Creator Highway Transport in Model Team scale with working steering and other nice details, it could seem as if Model Team was returning as a Creator sub-theme.

I want to show the difference between this truck and a real Model Team creation (think of creations by RalphS), but for that I need to know what kind of cars to build.

What cars from real life do you think the cars from the set resemble the most?

6753-1.jpg

I have already decided to make the truck a Mercedes Benz Actros, but I'm not sure what the cars should be.

What do you guys think?

I think the one on the truck is a Ford GT40 or Ford GT and a Mazda MX5 or some MG.

What a nice idea! I look forward to seeing what you'll come up with. I think there is a resemblance with the Toyota MR2 and Mazda MX5 (Miata), but the red car reminds me most of a Honda S2000. The white one doesn't really remind of of anything much except perhaps a Chevrolet Camaro (the previous model; not the current one).

Since these aren't part of any license like the Ferrari or Lamborghini license, the designers are likely to have tried not to make them look too much like a particular brand or model of car because they don't. I remember reading an article in brick journal about the hot rod garage a couple of years ago where this subject was raised.

Cheers,

Ralph

U should build a Nissan Skyline or a Nissan Silvia or a Nissan 200sx. Great cars

Yeah, I could build those, but for now I just want to find what is closest to what is on the LEGO set.

Right now we have.

Red:

- Mazda MX5

- Honda S2000.

White:

- Toyota MR2. Previous generation, right. It doesn't look much like the late spider IMO.

- Ford GT because of the headlights and stripe, right?

- MG perhaps TF?

- 2002 Camaro.

I think the red one looks like some British sports car, while the white looks more Japanese. The lights and stripe on the white one does kinda make it resemble a Ford GT, though. Perhaps I should play around with some of the suggestions and see what is possible.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Please come with more if something pops up. I will dig a bit into British sports cars, thinking of the last episode of Top Gear :)

I was thinking more of a Mazda RX-8 for the red one, but now that Ralph mentioned it, I definitely see the resemblance to the S2000 as well. Can't wait to see the final product!

To me the blue/white car is a 3G Mitsubishi Eclipse and the red one is definitely a S2000.

That's a great observation for the white car! I think you are right, but I really want to build a Ford GT :tongue:

The red car sounds like a Honda S2000 by the majority of voices :classic:

When LEGO introduced the Creator Highway Transport in Model Team scale with working steering and other nice details, it could seem as if Model Team was returning as a Creator sub-theme.

With just a bit more complex design, HWT e new Offroad with trailer & Quad could be without doubt considered new Model Team sets. Creator designers e marketing manager IMO have to point higher, with an ADVANCED CREATOR subtheme destined to preteen, teen (and AFOL) market (11 or 12+). If MT series had run for a long period (14 years), why not a new MT-like subtheme? We have Modular House, now we need new model sets, maybe with some technical feature more.

We could suggest this the next time LEGO asks us for ideas to new themes.

While moving on with the project.

Often when I build large scale vehicles, I spend a lot of time measuring. This time I'm building software for this.

Would it be of any interest if I made a program for everyone that could put a grid on top of pictures in any LEGO scale? If not, then I will just make it for my own amusement :classic:

I have started project "Griddy", a program that can put a grid on top of pictures. Simple, but effective. After a couple of hours today, I ended up with this:

griddy.jpg

Source and binaries can be found here: http://www.cs.au.dk/~ld/lego/software/griddy.zip (any platform, requires Java)

The program will slowly expand as I need new features, or quickly expand if people need more features.

We could suggest this the next time LEGO asks us for ideas to new themes.

While moving on with the project.

Often when I build large scale vehicles, I spend a lot of time measuring. This time I'm building software for this.

Would it be of any interest if I made a program for everyone that could put a grid on top of pictures in any LEGO scale? If not, then I will just make it for my own amusement :classic:

I have started project "Griddy", a program that can put a grid on top of pictures. Simple, but effective. After a couple of hours today, I ended up with this:

Source and binaries can be found here: http://www.cs.au.dk/~ld/lego/software/griddy.zip (any platform, requires Java)

The program will slowly expand as I need new features, or quickly expand if people need more features.

I normally do this sort of thing in a little sketch, but I can see this being useful, certainly if you use it with proper blueprints.

Cheers,

Ralph

.... Often when I build large scale vehicles, I spend a lot of time measuring. This time I'm building software for this. ....

Nice idea! I know the designers at Lego have a similar method, using sketch paper with squares the size of a plate, but this is kind of reversing that.

The method I always find most useful when making Legolandstyle vehicles is measuring the space between the wheels using the wheels themselves. E.G: the space between the wheels of the red sportscar in your picture is about three wheels. Works on all scales... :classic: