Sign in to follow this  
Ryushi

[MOC] SHIPtember: Astra Luminaria

21233237963_8ee2171f7e_b.jpg

Astra Luminaria by Alysa Kirkpatrick, on Flickr

Astra Luminaria is the biggest spaceship ever created by man. Built around Sirius B, the star, Astra Luminaria is the next technological advancement for humans to colonize other stars, and utilizing the star's energy to create long term survival in the ever increasing demand for more energy and space.

Two rings orbit Astra Luminaria, built for the ever growing demand of space travel and life beyond the colonized ship. The rings allow for people look at the galaxies yet to be explored.

Tech Specs:

- diameter with other rings: 123 studs

- diameter to outer shell: 101 studs

- height: 131 studs

- weight: 17 lb 11 oz

- parts: 20,012

---------

I had a ton of fun building Astra Luminaria, my first SHIP. It is a hollow core SHIP with no technic. Both were something I really wanted to try out. The design is based on 4 nested spheres, which I then modified for better aesthetics. There is a light bulb in the center of it, giving it a really cool effect in the dark, (and makes photos looks a lot better).

Let me know what you think

Alysa

Edited by bricktect

Whoa. Incredible, and still cant believe you did all that with no technic to support it. The light really does give it a sense of this massive inner core

This is Stellar! I love the unique idea! Very well executed! Simply gorgeous! The shaping is beautiful! I see a lot of PAB parts! Clever! :grin:

~Insectoid Aristocrat

This is Stellar! I love the unique idea! Very well executed! Simply gorgeous! The shaping is beautiful! I see a lot of PAB parts! Clever! :grin:

~Insectoid Aristocrat

yeah. alot of pick a brick, at 20,000 parts, and normally needed between 400 and a few 1000 of each type of piece...PAB quickly became a determining factor.... (there is 1380 hinge plates in the piece)

That is certainly an impressive ship! How do you keep the rings on?

rings are held on in two place (per a ring). The connection is a small single plate thick shelf holding the ring per a connection, which is then connected to the pentagram via more plates