Brickdoctor

[LDD MOCs] Brickdoctor's 2011 Star Wars Advent Calendar

It's December, which means it's time to start opening those LEGO Advent Calendars. (unless, of course, you couldn't help but tear it open the moment you got it, and seeing as it's LEGO, I wouldn't blame you. :laugh: )

However, you know me - never satisfied with what TLG produces for their sets. Their Advent Calendars are nice for children, but we need something bigger. Better. With that in mind, I decided to take up the challenge of rebuilding the Star Wars advent calendar, one model a day, every day from December 1st to December 24th. These models are built in LDD, but I used Bricklink and Peeron for reference with some pieces I wasn't familiar with, so they should be build-able with physical bricks. (should be, because I'm still no Aanchir :blush: ) No floating parts are used; the models use only legal LDD connections.

So, without further ado, Day 1 of the 2011 Bricdoctor-ian Star Wars Advent Calendar:

6437454525_d1761a0148_b.jpg

It's Midi-scale Radiant VII!

The Radiant VII was one of many Consular-class space cruisers that were used by the Galactic Republic to provide transport to the government's diplomats.

Read more...

This model does borrow elements from iomedes !'s version, because you really can't build this ship at this scale without doing so.

And, because Christmas is all about giving...

2011SWAdventDay1.lxf

(LXF attached because Brickshelf seems to be having a server problem at the moment)

Day 2: Miniland-scale Nute Gunray

Day 3: Miniland-scale Mechno-Chair

Day 4: Midi-scale OG-9 Homing Spider Droid

Day 5: Midi-scale Slave I

Day 6: Miniland-scale Chewbacca

Day 7: Miniland-scale Bowcaster

Day 8: Miniland-scale Rebel Pilot

Day 9: Midi-scale T-65 X-wing

Day 10: Midi-scale Lambda-class T-4a Shuttle

Day 11: Miniland-scale OOM Pilot Droid

Day 12: Midi-scale T-47 Snowspeeder

Day 13: Miniland-scale R2-Q5

Day 14: Miniland-scale MSE-6 Mouse Droid

Day 15: Midi-scale LAAT/i

Day 16: Miniland-scale Clone Pilot

Day 17: Miniland-scale DC-15s Blaster

Day 18: Midi-scale BTL-A4 Y-wing

Day 20: Midi-scale TIE/ln Fighter

Day 21: Midi-scale Millennium Falcon

Day 22: Midi-scale RZ-1 A-wing

Day 23: Multi-purpose Tree

Day 25: Minifig-scale TIE Collection

Wow, that is quite the challenge and a great start to it as well! I can't find anything wrong with. I love it!!

What will you do about the minifigs in the set? Skip them, make a new model, or use that day to comeup with your next model?

Jamie

What will you do about the minifigs in the set? Skip them, make a new model, or use that day to comeup with your next model?

I'm including them. :classic:

Let the speculation begin... :laugh:

An advant calendar with 25 models of that size would be AMAZING, costly; like extrmely constly, but AMAZING!!

Excellnt work on the model, I'm a real sucker for the dark red color :blush: , it's so nice!

Beautiful ship! I'm looking forward to seeing the daily creations.

:classic:

Mm, that's a nice model design for the ship you've got. :thumbup:

I can't help but notice you've begun this endeavor with a vessel from the very opening scene of Episode I. Are you going through the saga chronologically, by chance? Certainly, the Alliance festivities at Bright Tree Village and Luke's reunion with those he treasures most seem somehow fitting for Christmas Eve...

I'll certainly keep my eyes on this one. Creating all the Star Wars advent calender models in larger, and better versions, is a really neat idea. What I like about this project of yours, is that you don't have any choice in the vehicles, figures or structures you have to make, which forces you to come up with new ideas and building techniques - especially with the 1-day deadline. Your first build; the Radiant IV is great. Not too complicated, which is obvious, but you still managed to make it accurate. It will be really great to see more of the vehicles in this, what I assume, is midi-scale. Especially the Y- and A-wing. Can't wait for those two. :cry_happy:

Your attempt on the minifigures will be interesting too; are you going for moodland-scale? Oh well, guess I'll just have to wait to see it. That's indeed a part of christmas; waiting for your presents (in this case LDD models) and not knowing what it's going to be... (or HOW it's going to be, to be more precise) :wink:

Edited by Hollander

I can't help but notice you've begun this endeavor with a vessel from the very opening scene of Episode I. Are you going through the saga chronologically, by chance? Certainly, the Alliance festivities at Bright Tree Village and Luke's reunion with those he treasures most seem somehow fitting for Christmas Eve...

If I had a choice, this would be all OT. :laugh: I'm building the same models in the same order from the official calendar. :wink:

It will be really great to see more of the vehicles in this, what I assume, is midi-scale. Especially the Y- and A-wing. Can't wait for those two. :cry_happy:

I already know the A-wing's going to be the most difficult model. I'm trying to stick to my schedule and not think to much about it until the day comes, though.

Nice work, doc, and good idea for a project! :sweet: The Republic Cruiser is well done, even though it does look a lot like iomedes' version. I, too, am curious about your approach to the minifigs. I hope you don't mind that I took the liberty to blog this for you.

gallery_5203_163_10909.png

I hope you don't mind that I took the liberty to blog this for you.

I don't like blogging my own stuff, so thanks. :classic:

Outstanding! notworthy.gif

If the calendar came with a model like that I would be all over it! Being honest, except for the minifigs I think it's a VERY poor set. But if it came with models like that... :excited:

Beautiful work! :thumbup:

Great idea and an excellent first model. I'm looking forward to seeing more (especially when you get to the OT stuff - I think that will be Slave I on Monday :sweet: )

Very nice MIDI Radiant VII; you've handled the proportions well at this small size, and I love that SNOTed prow. The only major suggestion I would make would be to have less white around where the escape pods are located.

You've got quite the eye for detail to have noticed the tiny orange bit that doesn't even show up in most pictures I've seen. :laugh:

So you'll be building larger versions of all the MINIs, then? I'll be looking forward to your Falcon and Y-wing, not to mention the X-wing...

The only major suggestion I would make would be to have less white around where the escape pods are located.

There's a stripe of white there, and this was the only way I could fit that into the available space.

If I had a choice, this would be all OT. :laugh: I'm building the same models in the same order from the official calendar. :wink:

Ah, gotcha. I have the official calendar and intend to open it day by day, as it was meant to be, but haven't opened it up yet (I still have a few hours left, after all). I'd prefer an all-OT era one, myself, but I can always use parts for other things anyway...

The white lines are very thin and act more to outline various structures, so I personally wouldn't have included that much when it isn't also present along the outermost edges of where the turret mounts would be on a CR90. But I can see the reasoning behind it.

:wub: Wow Brickdoctor! I am really lovin' that ship you've got to start this off with! I can't wait to see how you built it. :thumbup:

Nice work, Doc. I'd do something similar if my plate weren't full with the Community Build. Also, I'd hate to do the Radiant VII in LUMS default_huh.gif

Great idea and awesome build, Doc! :wub: That Radiant VII is spot-on. :thumbup: I think this will be a very popular series that many (including myself) will follow with great anticipation. Now, about those minifigs in Moodland scale: that'd be something to see! :wink:

Edited by M<0><0<DSWIM

Now, about those minifigs in Moodland scale: that'd be something to see! :wink:

The presence of Moodland-scale characters, like everything else concerning the minifigs, is still pure speculation. :wink:

But are you actually making on each day for the x-mas season? :tongue:

If you mean building a model each day, yes.