[pid][/pid]

Here is my Review of the System Pirates set; Sabre Island. (6265)

This set was released in 1989 and features 3 Minifigures; two imperial soldiers and one officer (Lt. de Martinet as stated by Lego)

This set has 92pcs. It comes with the island and a rowboat.

I have even more awesome System sets on the way!

Let me know what you think of it, and leave your comments below!

Thank you very much for your review. I like that set, in my opinion it is the best "small" set of all waves. Looks simply great. Everybody should have 5 of it or more :).

Thank you for your excellent review of what I consider to be one of best Pirates' sets ever made!

I really like your analytic approach to this set and it's time, in fact I can't disagree with anything you say.

Solid Bluecoats vs. hollow Redcoats”... hilarious... and obvious!

Anyway, great set (three Bluecoats, big flag, cannon, palm-tree, rowboat, no nasty pirates, stand-alone playability), awesome review!

Brought back a lot of memories.

@Matthias130182:

I own three of them, two more to go! pir_laugh2.gif

Looking forward for more!

Regards

PS. sealed Harbor Sentry!! pirate_oh.gifdefault_wubnew.gif

I've always wanted this set. When I was little, I went to someone's house and their kid had all of these old Pirates sets. I completely ignored everyone and played with them the entire time we were there. pirate_laugh_new.gif

I've always wanted this set. When I was little, I went to someone's house and their kid had all of these old Pirates sets. I completely ignored everyone and played with them the entire time we were there. pirate_laugh_new.gif

You may be surprised to know that some parents still have their kids older lego sets, and the kids don't want them anymore. I have been to at least three houses loaded with vintage lego, and the parents did not know what to do with them. I have also found some vintage lego at garage sales and yard sales. Keep an eye out, you may be surprised where you will find some of these old sets!

pirate_laugh_new.gif

I have found a lot of stuff at garage sales, but it's usually not anything I'm interested in. I keep the parts I find useful and sell the rest.

A few months ago, I found a massive collection of instructions and random other books and posters (idea books, magazines, etc.) at a garage sale. It was all 1980s/early 1990s classic space, castle, forestmen, and pirates. They had sold the bricks just a little before I got there. I was so upset I almost started crying. It was the biggest and best collection I'd ever seen. All of the papers were in mint condition.

BTW, I posted a thread about the Brick Kicks magazines I found that day. I'm looking to sell or trade them for parts.

I have found a lot of stuff at garage sales, but it's usually not anything I'm interested in. I keep the parts I find useful and sell the rest.

A few months ago, I found a massive collection of instructions and random other books and posters (idea books, magazines, etc.) at a garage sale. It was all 1980s/early 1990s classic space, castle, forestmen, and pirates. They had sold the bricks just a little before I got there. I was so upset I almost started crying. It was the biggest and best collection I'd ever seen. All of the papers were in mint condition.

BTW, I posted a thread about the Brick Kicks magazines I found that day. I'm looking to sell or trade them for parts.

Oh my… I would have cried! lol

I also have some similar experiences except with sealed boxes.

I was going to go to a toy show with an auction but decided not to at the last moment and regret it a lot. Boxed original 1989 pirates and castle and forest men sets that were sealed were auctioned off, but It was just a fluke that no lego junkies were there, and the sets ended up selling for a matter of dollars. (all under 30$ even for legorado fortress MINT) I was told by a friend who managed to get some at ridiculously cheep prices.

Always keep your eyes out! haha

This is such a great little set. It looks great for having a small number of pieces, I don't think the smaller sets look as good today. I bought Eldorado Fortress on ebay, and this set was bundled with it. I really love the look of the blue coat Imperial sets from that first pirate wave.

It was my first pirate set. In fact I stil have all the discolored pieces.. and remember how the cannon always shooted in a corner between two walls to avoid the loss of the ball :D

Edit: nice observation about prices.. but I don't think pirate had a great success those years: in Italy there was a famous breakfast cereals brand who gives a pirate or castle minikit for free for every four "points" collected. It was enough to buy two cereal boxes to have a free lego minikit.. there were probably a lot of items unsold..

Edited by Matteo1130

This is such a great little set. It looks great for having a small number of pieces, I don't think the smaller sets look as good today. I bought Eldorado Fortress on ebay, and this set was bundled with it. I really love the look of the blue coat Imperial sets from that first pirate wave.

Nice! I also have Eldorado Fortress, oddly enough, there were fewer made then the Imperial trading post, yet the imperial trading post seems harder to find and more expensive.