1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding

gallery_101_23_281.gif

gallery_6705_157_22742.png

I went to my Local target with the intent of buying 8038 Battle of Endor, but they were out, and for some reason I remembered seeing the two Easter polybag sets in the SW forum, so I ran over to the Easter section and low and behold, they were there, so I present you a small review.

4390674996_27f41cc744_o.jpg

BASIC INFORMATION:

Set Name: MINI X-Wing Fighter

Set Number: 30051

Number of Pieces: LEGO bag 61, Bricklink 61

Minifigs: 0

Price: $3.49

Theme: Star Wars

Year Released: 2010

RESOURCES:

3966515209_20775f26c6_t.jpg

3966535017_39b869c30d_o.jpg (high res pics removed due to Flickr limiting accounts to 1,000)

THE REVIEW:

The Bag

Front:

4390675066_e2001e32c2_o.jpg

The mini X-Wing in all it's glory, except for the fact that it's in a polybag. I much prefer the sturdy boxes as opposed to these bags.

Back:

4389906395_84029f5121_o.jpg

Are you a member of the LEGO club? If not here is your chance.

Instructions

Front:

4389906441_3cdd657214_o.jpg

Identical in size to the instructions in set 30050 we have a a single piece of paper for the instructions.

Back:

4389906481_b4a498bacc_o.jpg

15 steps and you're done, and what a good looking model. Use code EAS10 when signing up for the LEGO club, not sure why, but you had better do it.

All Pieces:

4390675348_474a24eb44_o.jpg

Not a bad amount of pieces for $3.49, I like the two silver round studs as well, not sure that I have alot of those.

Extra Pieces:

4390675754_4e2487d80a_o.jpg

Wow, thank you LEGO piece sorting machine.

Completed Ship front:

4390675418_9691e9cedf_o.jpg

What a sweet looking mini. This reminds me of the quality of minis I've come to expect from Legostein, who is a master of mini building, I wonder if he sold a design to TLG?

Completed Ship left:

4390675460_bbab47a5ca_o.jpg

I must say TLG did a good job on the wings and the thrusters for this mini, it really looks accurate.

Completed Ship rear:

4389906669_dab1c57744_o.jpg

Sweet, an extra pair of binoculars, which if to scale, could see into another galaxy.

Completed Ship right:

4389906719_d0f9146663_o.jpg

Repetitive, I know, but it looks so good, from all angles.

Wings closed:

4389906779_3b9c145fee_o.jpg

Here we have the wings folded down for regular flight mode.

Wings Open:

4390675720_b45c86aed9_o.jpg

Ready for a full scale attack, this mini is.

Totals:

Design: 10/10 I absolutely love this mini, it's so accurate (to me), and I will definitely be buying more for myself, to make a small X-wing Army.

Parts: 7/10 If you read my review of 30050 you'll notice this got a higher rating, simply because you get more parts, and those shiny metal finished pieces are a plus.

Build: 8/10 I ranked this an 8 due to the ease of building, the pose ability, and the sturdiness of the model, it doesn't break easily.

Minifigs: 0/10 Hmm, I think I'll leave this out of my rating, it wouldn't be fair.

Playability: 10/10 It's a great little ship to swoosh, you can adjust the wings, and it looks great. Although you can't really play with it along side your regular sets, I think most people buy these as models anyway, I still give it a ten because it's easier to swoosh than a full sized set.

Price: 9/10 For $3.50 you can't expect much more, especially in the Star Wars line, again you are paying for the design as well as the handful of parts. Still a great buy, and I'll be getting more.

Total: 44/50 It's a mini and should be reviewed as one, of course you aren't getting any minifig's, and the piece count is going to be low. With that said, it's an awesome set that I feel is very accurate. I love it so much, I am going to buy some more for a display army, I mean at $3.50 a piece, it's cheaper than building an army with battle packs.

The only thing worth noting is that the 4 clear bricks I used as stands do not come with this set, those are from my personal collection.

Edited by Big Cam
Removed high res links due to flickr restrictions

Excellent review Big Cam, I so want this set, but I don't think they are available in Australia.

Very nice review. I don't have any mini's, but this one may be my first. Not to mention these would make great little gifts.

Thanks for the review 'Big Cam' - the X-wing is my favorite Star War vehicle ! :grin:

Nice to see how they have turned it in to a mini model !

I don't collect mini's - this one might change my mind !

I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

This $3.50 set is the best for all my hinge piece needs. This thing has a metric crapload of them. Ok, 12, but that's still a lot.

Also, so those antenna things.

As a town/CITY collector this set gives me easy access to parts and color that I dont usually have or can't easily acquire. So I'm buying a bunch more of these.

This looks nice. I'm curious to see how it compares to the old one. It seems like there's been a color shift from red to burgundy on it, but it looks okay. Lucky you that they're available in your area :cry_happy:

Thanks for the review.

Nice review! :thumbup: I like this set, except that there is a minifig backpack bracket piece on the back. I have that piece, they always break so easily :sceptic:

Great review Big Cam! :thumbup:

Been awhile since you have done one!

Man this looks like one awesome Mini!

The parts are Great, and the colours are nice aswell.

I really want one of these now.

Thanks for the Review!

CommanderFox

Thanks for the Review!

CommanderFox

Thanks, I know, I've been slacking I know, I hope to get a few more done, this weekend.

Thanks for the Review!

CommanderFox

I have a lot of freetome this weekend, so I am going to try.

Thank God for cheese slopes! They make minis a whole lot more detailed. The colour scheme is really nice on this mini. The flick fire pieces on the wings looks really accurate. Great review Cam nice to see a new review from you :thumbup:

What a great mini set. I built it with spares (except for the 1x3 tile) back when the first pictures appeared. Thanks to your review and pictures Big Cam I now changed some of the colors I got wrong - hadn't been aware of the silver stud for example.

I'd love to see more mini's of this design quality from LEGO.

LEGO has probably been peeking at LEGOSTEIN's great mini's and been inspired.

Nice review! Too bad, such mini SW packs is not commonly available in this part of the region. This mini X-Wing Fighter will be very useful for displaying it inside my office.

Thanks for sharing us such a nice review with us. :thumbup:

Thanks, Big Cam - nice review of a lovely looking set ! It looks more accurate than the previous official mini versions of the X-Wing.

Can't wait for mine to arrive from the U.S......

UPDATE : It's sitting in my mailbox !

Dr. D.

Edited by drdavewatford

Nice review Big Cam. Amazing crisp and informative as usual. :thumbup:

I've been looking for these sets, and I had thought about doing a review when I got them, but you've taken care of it for me already. I admit, I really like this mini. It seems so much better than the previous version! The flick-fire pieces, cheese slopes, and hinges all help make the set sturdier, and the color scheme is great.

Thanks for sharing a review of this mini masterpiece with us!

Inky

A very elaborate mini X-wing given that it's made form some 60 parts.

Still I'd pick the RAS over this one anytime - mostly because we've seen so many X-wing minis during the past 10+ years of LEGO Star Wars.

Thanks for the review - it's been added to the index.

This set rocks. I picked up the last three at my areas Target, and after opening up one of them and putting it together, I realized I can finally live my life's dream of putting it together in the bag.

Needless to say, it took awhile and my fingers are pretty well grayed from the ink but I'm rather proud of it. Only being able to work in that little window is a pain in the butt, but it's well worth the effort.

4395010759_3d45c78cec.jpg