Holko

The Wicked Wench

This is my entry for the contest.

If I'd win the first prize, I would choose the set.(The Mill)

When I heard of this contest, I was very excited, because I don't own any Pirates sets, but they are all very good! (I only have 3840-Pirate Code)

The thing I tried to achieve was to create it using pieces only from the set and I succeeded!

This Microscale ship is the Wicked Wench.

EDIT: Added custom rigging.

An overall look.

5896827002_bb4b3cd1b9_z.jpg

Look from back.

5896250087_f66e710189_z.jpg

Side view.

5896822562_343435693b_z.jpg

And finally, a back view. You can see Jack Sparrow's (sorry: Captain Jack Sparrow's) private cabin (or at least its window) with the open balcony over it and the locked rum storages underneath.

5896254075_dcd1166824_z.jpg

The full gallery with how-to pictures!

Hope you like it!

Edited by Holko

It's a nice ship but I don't think it looks like the Flying Dutchman at all.

It's understandable you went for a small version since you don't have any pirate sets.

Though I think the FD with its complicated details requires a larger scale to make a somewhat recognizable replica.

Good luck

That's a nice miniscale ship however I think that it can be improved.

First, for the sails try using a white or gray brick instead of the gold ones. I think that would make them look more realistic. I also think that the bowsprit is too long. Since you can use custom rigging, try to use some string to make it look like the ship is rigged. Also, the bowsprit should angle upwards. Towards the stern, try to make the side of the ship slope upwards towards the top of the quarter deck. On the bow, you have a 1x1 plate with a side connector. I think that you should clarify what that is and add a second to the other side to make the ship symmetrical. Finally, good luck in the contest!

Towards the stern, try to make the side of the ship slope upwards towards the top of the quarter deck. On the bow, you have a 1x1 plate with a side connector. I think that you should clarify what that is and add a second to the other side to make the ship symmetrical.

I tried to make it angled, but it looked very ugly. That plate is the ship's anchor. And I can't put another one on the other side because there isn't enough place for it.

Someone from the Moderator Team, could you please change this topic's main title to 'The Wicked Wench' ?

Someone from the Moderator Team, could you please change this topic's main title to 'The Wicked Wench' ?

Sure

Quite an interesting design you've got here. Although it is clear that it is built from one set, I think it can still be improved. If you're insisting on staying with one set bricks then I'd just add the custom rigging as mentioned, and turn all the masts around, so that the sails are in front of the masts! Else you could also change the color of sails to any othe colored LEGO pieces you have and maybe add some technic pins for cannons.

I'd just add the custom rigging as mentioned, and turn all the masts around, so that the sails are in front of the masts!

Rigging is done. I won't turn the masts, because 1) it took me 2 hours to do the rigging and I won't start it again and 2) they would look awful with all the hollows visible from the front.

It's a nice little ship, Holko. It looks a bit tall, but the holes are a nice touch. The rigging also makes it look better than before. Perhaps white sails instead of golden would've been better. Nice job and good luck. :pir-wink:

It's pretty fine, I like the colour of the water. It's very good that you didn't forget to put the ship on nice stand.

The overall shape of the ship is very good, besides the stern - it's a bit too flat for me. You could also improve colours a bit, brown is a beautiful colour, but remember there are several types of brown in Lego. If you enriched your MOC with some more colours, it would be much better!

I like the way you've made the prow. Those 1x4 plates were a good idea to make a subtle narrowing needed.

I have no idea why the sails look like this - were they really to be golden? Their shape also surprised me.

Good luck!

Edited by Toltomeja

Errrr.. isn't the Wicked Wench the same ship as the Black Pearl? I know it is hard to capture the shape of a ship in such a small MOC, but your creation doesn't resemble the Black Pearl too much.

Black Pearl / Pirates of the Caribbean - 3 (2535)

You can see from this photo that the sterncastle of the Pearl juts out. You could have included that in your MOC. Also, the stern castle is much too high. The Black Pearl's sterncasle is set low.

I mean no offense, but your entry is really too generic for members to recognize as a ship from the POTC film franchise.