Sign in to follow this  
dgherko

Battle of Little Big Horn

As we have just had the 140th anniversary of the Battle of Little Big Horn.

I have four sets of pictures of the lead up to the battle.

June 22nd 1876 - Custer leads the 7th Cavalry away from his boss General Terry. Custer has organized the regiment so each company rides the same color horses. Only one company has gray horses (E Company) All members of the Regiment were to turn in their sabers - two officers do not - Lt De Rudio ( a Civil War veteran) and Lt Mathey (left in charge of the Pack Train)

http://www.brickshel...ry.cgi?f=564906

June 24th 1876 - During the march, Custer assigns Captain Benteen to guard the mule train as the Regiment moves towards it's destiny.

http://www.brickshel...ry.cgi?f=564907

June 25th 1876 - The regiment crosses the divide into the Little Big Horn Valley and Custer sends Captain Benteen with his H company along with D and K off to scout the left flank

Reno with a small detachment of scouts(Arikara and Crow Warriors) and in charge of A Company, G and M move along the south of what is now called Reno Creek - two members of Reno's Command have special rifles Captain French and Sgt Ryan of M Company

Custer with the regimental staff, his two brothers, a cousin, a newspaper reporter, two surgeons, the Scout Mitch Boyer, more Crow and Arikara scouts and five companies C, E, F, L, I move along the left of or north of Reno creek. Custer and eight other family or close friends wear brown "buck-skin" jackets in lieu of regulation uniforms ( George Custer, Tom Custer, Boston Custer, Audie Reed, Captain Cooke, Captain Keough, Lt Porter, Lt Smith and Lt Calhoun)

http://www.brickshel...ry.cgi?f=564908

Finally, Custer's Command approaches a Lone Teepee. A Sans Arc Warrior (died of his wounds from a battle the previous week) was found wrapped in burial attire with mementos around the body. The Teepee is on the north side of the Creek

http://www.brickshel...ry.cgi?f=564909

Enjoy

Edited by dgherko

The link are working for me. I recommend signing up for Flickr, it is much simpler for people to view your images on there.

Looks good, thats a a lot of mini figures! Adding a solid colour background would really improve the photos though, and make the background less distracting.

The link are working for me. I recommend signing up for Flickr, it is much simpler for people to view your images on there.

Looks good, thats a a lot of mini figures! Adding a solid colour background would really improve the photos though, and make the background less distracting.

Thanks for the advice. I depend on my kids and they were not around when I shot the photos and for technical stuff. As we take some more shots for the battle scenes I will try some of your suggestions.

Not too shabby. I do like that you nailed Custer's personal battleflag, red on top of blue, with crossed white sabers.

The regiment's horses were colored in 1867, and the tradition was kept for quite some time. It's true, Co. E was the only company mounted on grays, but as gray horses age, they become closer to white. Sadly, gray horses are hard to come by in the LEGO world. All of the trumpeters were mounted on white horses, as was the regimental band. The regimental adjutant, Lt. W.W. Cooke also rode a white horse.

The band was left at the Powder River Depot, along with most of the recruits that had walked all the way from Fort Lincoln. General Terry had expected to have horses waiting for him around the area to purchase, but those horses never materialized. So the band was dismounted, and its white horses distributed among the regiment, replacing worn out mounts or mounting a few extra troopers.

Company M was the only one without a single color horse. They were mounted with all colors.

As I said, Co. E's grays were often closer to white, so when I was planning on making my own Seventh Cavalry, I was going to use white horses. The difference between white and gray horses is whites have pink skin under their fur, and grays have black skin.

Thanks for your input.

When I decided to embark on this project, I new that I had to buy quite a few gray horses to give me a fourth color horse to show differences. The detail that is available to study the Battle is remarkable.