WesternOutlaw

ARTICLE: Pirates 2009

On a scale of 1 to 5  

157 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate the QUALITY of this article?

• 5 - Outstanding
    • 4 - Above Average
    • 3 - Average
    • 2 - Below Average
    • 1 - Poor
  2. 2. Overall, how well do you like the Pirates 2009 Theme?

• 5 - Outstanding
    • 4 - Above Average
    • 3 - Average
    • 2 - Below Average
    • 1 - Poor

But that's really up to everyone's taste, the minifig can be whatever you want in your imagination. By the way, I adore your modification of that minifig, svelte_corps! :wub:

I was really impressed and surprised that the designers made a new torso/ dress print for Pirates that matches with the Princess from the 07 Castle line. It's typical of the attention to detail going into minifig design these days :wub: From two years ago when we barely had any female figs at all, we're now spoiled!

Great article. It really sums up in the 2009 Pirate Theme in one place for everybody. I am starting to like the theme more and more. I hope Lego continues to expand the Fort and come out with an Imperial Flagship.

Wow I am blown away by the quality and supervness of this article! :pir_laugh2:

And shouldn't we change Classic-Pirates.com to Current-Pirates.com now that we have a new line? haha just kidding :pir-tongue:

Comprehensive and thorough walk through of the new Pirates theme sets. Amazingly detailed yet fun. Thank you very much brickster!

Now eagerly waiting for the sets to arrive at my shore ^^b

very good article. it was informative. i have 5 pirates, with 5 more i need in the british fort, loot island, cannon battle, pirates survival thinggy (the impulse set) and brickbards bounty. and the construction set. i should go to TRU today and see if they have any good deals.

Thanks for this awesome article, Brickster. It gets a 5/5 from me. :thumbup:

Honestly, I'm really getting tired of people comparing this new Pirates line to the 4+ line released in 2004. Seriously, that's wrong - there is virtually no simililarities between the two lines in design, and the 4+ line has probably at least 3 times as many big pieces as the old line. Also, for people who are complaining about the new sand baseplate, it's really no different than other raised baseplates that have been used in classic pirates kits - including the magnificent Elorado Fortress.

Having said that, I agree that the prices are a big high on these kits - but from what I can tell, this is a general characteristic shared with most of the lego kits being released in 2009. Lego prices are going up next year, it seems, and there's nothing we can really do about it.

Still, I don't get the reaction of some of the fans here. This new pirates line may certainly not be perfect, but it's far closer to the original line than any of TLC's previous remakes, like the Castle, CITY, and Mars Mission/Space lines. Instead of supporting TLC's decision to bring back the line, many of you are just passing it off. Would you rather we go back to the years where we didn't have any Pirates? If you want TLC to make more Pirates, than you need to support them, not refuse to buy them just because they aren't exactly like Classic Pirates.

I'm really divided over the new Pirates theme. I'm excited that it's back and I like a lot of the new elements.

But something about these sets is just ugly to me. The colors seems to clash, for one thing. I think the minifig designs look too busy. These Imperial Guards don't hold a candle to the originals. I think part of my problem is I think Lego's more detailed faces don't look right on a minifig body a lot of the time. The smiley faces worked better with the original Imperial Soldier outfits, I think. And the new outfits seem lacking. The pirates are okay, but seem more generic this time around. And the sets themselves are just lacking something aesthetically in the design that the originals had. I am disappointed in Pirates 2009, but I'm still tempted to buy a couple of the sets. lol

I'm really divided over the new Pirates theme. I'm excited that it's back and I like a lot of the new elements.

But something about these sets is just ugly to me. The colors seems to clash, for one thing. I think the minifig designs look too busy. These Imperial Guards don't hold a candle to the originals. I think part of my problem is I think Lego's more detailed faces don't look right on a minifig body a lot of the time. The smiley faces worked better with the original Imperial Soldier outfits, I think. And the new outfits seem lacking. The pirates are okay, but seem more generic this time around. And the sets themselves are just lacking something aesthetically in the design that the originals had. I am disappointed in Pirates 2009, but I'm still tempted to buy a couple of the sets. lol

Woah, that's a first - someone who actually doesn't like the new minifig designs. I couldn't disagree more - I think the new pirate minifig designs are miles better than the originals, BECAUSE they have far more detail. Also, the new pirates are no more generic than the old pirates - back in the early days, there were mainly a few different basic types of shirts and faces. The new way of making pirates is very similar to the old way - several designs interchanged to make a lot of different but similar looking figures. :pir-classic:

Fantastic article, Brickster! Very comprehensive and it touches all the little things that everyone's noticed, good and bad. :thumbup: Outstanding.

Super article.

Initially I decided never to collect the new pirate theme.

But having read your article, I might just check out a few of the smaller sets...and those imperials are pretty cool...

Arw nuts :pir-sceptic:

Can you hear the squelching sound as you get sucked into a new theme? :pir-tongue:

Wow, great article! This is a very detailed article and I enjoyed reading it. Great job and I can't wait to see more!

A fantastic review article. I was very impressed by the set ratings graph you presented. I think that this type of article should be a continuing publication on Eurobricks, created when a complete line of sets is available in the stores.

...created when a complete line of sets is available in the stores...

...Except they're not.

Awesome overview of all the Pirate sets Brickster - very detailed.

I wish I had the time to do that! Thanks :thumbup:

I have never really seen an article like this before, so I don't know what the average for one is. But this seems like a pretty informative and thorough article to me, so I say that you did an 'outstanding' job on it.

And I find the new Pirates line outstanding as well! TLC stayed very true to the spirit and design of the old sets, while polishing up some aspects of them! The new sets also have a nostalgic feeling to them because most of them are renewed versions of old sets (for example: Brickbeards Bounty / Black Seas Baracuda; Shipwreck Hideout / Forbidden Island; etc.)

I love the minifigs and pearl-gold pieces! And the new jolly roger aint so bad at all IMHO.

Thanks for the great article! :thumbup:

Edited by Oky Wan Kenobi

Article truly remarkable, but because I do not particularly dealt with a series of "Pirates" and its history, despite the fact that a great fan, I can not criticize all the parameters and "full", so I say simply - visible work and great work. :cannon: Very good, I was interested to read, exciting, besides the idea is clear to carry through the chosen words. :jollyroger::pir-classic:

...Except they're not.

Awesome overview of all the Pirate sets Brickster - very detailed.

I wish I had the time to do that! Thanks :thumbup:

No, actually they are. Every one of the 8 2009 Pirates sets has been found in at least one store. They're not widespread yet, but they are all available. :pir-wink:

They're not widespread yet, but they are all available (in the USA only). :pir-wink:

Exactly :pir-hmpf:

My favourite out of the whole new range has the be the port due to the large amount of detailed figures and modular style.

My second favourite would have to be the ship because I love the new design of the ship hull, and it contains 3 cannons (plus minifigs of course)

Unfortunately, I'm not a big fan of Kraken attackin' but I suppose it is a small set so I could not expect much in the first place.

This offers a lot of information for me :pir-blush: It shows what a set contains so you can consider to buy it or not.

Because I own only the Red Beards Runner and Imperial Flagship I'm planning to buy everything. :pir_laugh2:

Thanks to you and much other guys for the info!

Good article, you got pretty much all the highlights. This would be very informative for those wanting to make a decision on which sets to get.

For future considerations, it would be interesting to read about Bricklink/Ebay marketing values or collectability values. For me, this is half of what factors into buying a set.

-Nannan

Great article with an in depth review of some of the most important characteristics. Apparently, you already own all of the new sets of the line, or perhaps all except 6243 Brickbeard's Bounty since there were no pics of the new maiden, figurehead and some of the other pirates that came with that set such as the one with the tan legs and tricorne hat.

The photos are great quality too. I agree to most of the previous writers that this is the way to summarize things and describe the recently released sets. As a European, I can only relate to BrickLink or eBay for the moment being since none of the sets have surfaced on this side of the ocean so far. I have already BL-ed some of the figs and pieces (including some torches, new flames and newly designed red hat plumes, the new bird, bundle of dynamite sticks, etc.) and have a nice amount of them to compare and blend with the older sets.

Yesterday's visit to the Oberhausen Lego Store in Germany was quite pointless and for the first time, I left the shop without buying a single item (although the Taj Mahal palace was a piece that I would have liked to take home but at € 299,99 that has to wait).

Based on your review, I guess I will be adding all sets to my collection, including the small 6192 building set for its unique counterpart of the new pirate captain. Perhaps the blue torso will find its way in some of the new sets that are scheduled for Summer / Fall 2009. The impulse sets are good army builders, except it would have been nice if Lego had decided to randomly release these with different heads for the soldier. Also, the pirate impulse set is great for pieces but then again, it is quite pointless to have many of this since you will end up with many generic pirates with anchor tattoo and brown vest that do not show any sort of variety unless parts (such as hats, faces and legs) are swapped.

My issue with the pirates sets (understanding I have bought 90% of them) is that the value doesn't seem to be there. The island set feels like a $15 set... Shipwreck Hideout should only be $30... and the Brickbeard ship should only be $75... Heck, the Brickbeard ship is about the same size as Jabba's Sail Barge ($80), doesn't have the EXPENSIVE Star Wars license, yet costs $25 more. How does that happen? What's with all the super high prices? ...I might be able to understand it if Lego was having to cut new tooling for the pieces, but the only new piece in any of these sets is that island baseplate. What's happening? Does anyone else look at the size of their newly purchased lego kit and feel a little short changed?

Great Article! I look forward to reading your future write-ups.

I agree that we need more palm trees. More plants! Make the sets lush... or at least some of them.

Great article! Very informative.

I also agree that we need more palm trees. I only have 2. :pir-hmpf_bad:

I hope the next island that TLC will make will be big, if they are going to make one, with lots of plants and palmtrees! :pir-classic: Oh, now I lost my left eye..