lightningtiger

MOC: Flatbed Ute

It's fitting that an Aussie should build a MOC of a ute, because we invented it in the 1930's....so here we go....

flatbed_ute_96.jpgflatbed_ute_97.jpgflatbed_ute_98.jpgflatbed_ute_99.jpg

My only problem is I don't know what make of ute Ihave built.....Holden, Ford, Nissan....?

Maybe some suggestions everyone ? :wink:

Comments welcome and keep on farming ! :grin:

The front half looks like a Holden to me, and I like it alot, but the back is just too plain. I know it's a ute, but even those have an actual bed to them, instaed of just a flat slab. The back makes it look like a flatbed tow truck.

I think revisiting the back and giving it some sort of box structure would make this a shot out of the park, because the front looks great!

Thanks 'Big Cam', I too feel it has a Holden feel to it....now the back tray, maybe this might answer why I built it this way....

ute-old-school.jpg

and.......

30482460001_large.jpg

With the flat bed stacking and unloading hay bails is easy....though maybe I should attach a tow hook...mmmm, I'll think about it ! :sweet:

Keep on farming ! :sweet:

Cool ute! I have no complaints about this. I'm not going to question why it's 6-wide, because I know how hard making a low profile 4-wide is, so nice job :thumbup:

Edited by prateek

Thanks 'Big Cam', I too feel it has a Holden feel to it....now the back tray, maybe this might answer why I built it this way....

With the flat bed stacking and unloading hay bails is easy....though maybe I should attach a tow hook...mmmm, I'll think about it ! :sweet:

Keep on farming ! :sweet:

Ahh, lightningtiger you have enlightened me. Being from the US my knowledge of Utes is limited to what Top Gear tells me. With the pictures now, your MOC is spot on. I had never seen a Ute with a flatbed like that. :thumbup:

Thanks for the comments 'prateek' and again 'Big Cam', it only took 2 hours of scratch building this morning.

I need a few of these for a ute muster ! :laugh:

Keep on mustering ! :wink:

Ahh, lightningtiger you have enlightened me. Being from the US my knowledge of Utes is limited to what Top Gear tells me. With the pictures now, your MOC is spot on. I had never seen a Ute with a flatbed like that. :thumbup:

One of the things that distinguishes the ute from pickups in the US is the design is so flexible. You can order them with just the cab and rear chassis, with a pick-up style tray, with a tray and canopy etc. Some even come with dual rear axles to allow heavier loads. This allows a lot of variations from one vehicle rather than many different designs that wouldn't be economical due to our low population.

Designing in the flexibility probably costs more, but in essence they are just a stripped down sedan, with custom panels for each rear treatment, so not as much as a complete new vehicle for each function.

Thanks for back up there 'peterab', true here in Australia the humble ute can be ordered in various designs.

Keep on looking for that ute muster. :wink:

Great job on this Ute lightingtiger! I really like the very sleek build of the front, brought about by the perfect use of that trans-black slope windscreen. It looks pretty accurate based on the ref. photos. :thumbup:

Thanks 'KielDaMan' for your comments, one thing I can tell you all is choosing the windsceen, I had to do the math, measuring and comparing that was the best windsceen to use.

Keep on doing donnuts at the ute muster. :laugh:

Nice ute, lightningtiger. I see you finally got around to building one. I recall you commenting you were thinking of one when I had my 4 wide 6x6 ute posted. What kind of load are you planning to put on it? They're good work-horses from what I can research on utes. :classic:

Nice ute, lightningtiger. I see you finally got around to building one. I recall you commenting you were thinking of one when I had my 4 wide 6x6 ute posted. What kind of load are you planning to put on it? They're good work-horses from what I can research on utes. :classic:

Thanks 'dr_spock' for your comments, actually if you check the Landmark store page you'll see the ute being loaded. Anyway I might have to get some hay bails made for this to carry too !

Keep on farming and mustering ! :sweet:

I like this creation, obviously it is a 'ute', but i do not know that name... In the Netherlands we do probably nnot have that type of car.. I like the concept and it would be good to have more types of cars in Lego City. I must say, TLG has done a good job in 2010.. they brought us a lot of nice City sets and i hope voor 2011 they will offer various nice sets again!!

Untill then, we make our own vehicles....like you did!! :thumbup:

Yesterday i have built the Toys R Us truck, wich is not for sale in the Netherlands, but in Germany (Duisburg) is a TRU-shop... so, now i have one!!!

Again, nice work,

Greetz, LegoSjaak

Thanks 'LegoSjaak' for you comments, ute is short for utility, back in the 1930's a farmer's wife wrote a letter to the Ford Motor Company in Oz and said her husband wished for a workhorse while she wanted a car to go town/church in, thus the designers at Ford came up with this.....

2929038_221_full.jpg

Just a little history for you all there about the humble ute.

Keep on driving ! :grin:

Nice UTE, has given me some ideas for my own UTE that I will be making (I plan to make a Holden Colorado Single Cab Chassis UTE with a tan rear tray)

Nice UTE, has given me some ideas for my own UTE that I will be making (I plan to make a Holden Colorado Single Cab Chassis UTE with a tan rear tray)

Thanks 'jonwil' for your kind words, now I based some the ideas on a single cab chassis Colorado and used one to the scale the vehicle.

Keep on going to that muster. :wink:

This is really good lightningtiger. I have never seen ths car before and yours looks exactly like it :thumbup:. Although to me it looks kinda short :sceptic:.

Thanks, CB

Thank you 'CB No.1' :grin: for your comments, actually I have used scale measurements from Holden, etc., so I think it's pretty close to being right.

Keep on mustering ! :grin:

The front half looks like a Holden to me, and I like it alot, but the back is just too plain. I know it's a ute, but even those have an actual bed to them, instaed of just a flat slab. The back makes it look like a flatbed tow truck.

I think revisiting the back and giving it some sort of box structure would make this a shot out of the park, because the front looks great!

Awesome UTE lightningtiger! :thumbup: I agree with Big Cam. The front is very sharp.. Nice low profile; aggressive. As far as the back, well lets say, definitly got the business up front, but no party in the back :grin: Off to a great first eddition. What I would do is go with the looks of that green Holden (assuming thats what it is. Not to familiar with Holden. Only its cousin, my Isuzu :laugh: ) Anyways, I'd put black mirrors, a chrome, grey or black grille and fashion a smooth brown flatbed on the back. The tow rig on the back is a pretty cool idea too... A retro hot-rod inspired tow truck! If only I had spare parts for these 6 stud vehicles.. Alas still stuck around the 4 studs :sceptic: Anywhoo keep up the good work!

Edited by Leg Godt Gud

Cu-ute! I think it looks just right, but a few tools or tow cables or something would make it look better. (Look at my upcomming IJ Duckboat MOD)

Cu-ute! I think it looks just right, but a few tools or tow cables or something would make it look better. (Look at my upcomming IJ Duckboat MOD)

Okay, okay everyone.....I'll put some stuff on the back....man, I need that new molded dog piece.

Though thank you's go out to 'erik530195', 'Leg Godt Gud' and 'admDaggett' for your kind comments and suggestions....if was owned by the young guy picking up supplies at Landmark it would have chrome and chains hanging off it - many a muster ute is pimped-my-ride up. :grin:

But his old man, is no-BS kind of guy....hard working and no time for pimping ones ride ! :wink:

Keep on watching ! :sweet:

Great MOC, lightningtiger! It looks very realistic; just like a ute. It will be interesting to see pictures of the ute with 'stuff' on the back. :thumbup:

Very well done. :classic:

~buddy~

Great MOC, lightningtiger! It looks very realistic; just like a ute. It will be interesting to see pictures of the ute with 'stuff' on the back. :thumbup:

Very well done. :classic:

~buddy~

Thanks 'buddy' for your kind comments :sweet: and I'll have pictures of gear on the back of the ute in a few hours.....any suggestions for things you might like to see on the back ?

Keep on watching ! :wink:

Found some bricks that will do as hay bails.....

ute___landmark_0.jpgute___landmark_1.jpg

Yes, I also made some additions to the Landmark store....update picture for that one shortly.

Comments welcome as usual and keep on farming ! :sweet: