Klaus-Dieter

Ideas for new City sets

I too hope that Cafe Corner spawns a whole range of city block additions, and most could be done using existing minifigs and accessories with no problem at all.

Shops, restaurants, the full range of civilian life without the constant cops and fire. Though I would take an old style firehouse, something like the one in Ghostbusters.

For restaurants, just something as simple as a pizzaria: Tan brick with red and white decor, chef, waitress, couple of customers, pizza tiles, etc.

Or, a Chinese restaurant staffed by Adventurer's Orient minifigs, complete with *gasp* a dining family including a child or two using the short legs. So much possibility.

I actually drew up a Chinese restaurant a while back (before the modular building dream became reality), based on a piece from Department 56 (LEGO could get a lot of 'inspiration' from the line they produce). She comes in at just over 1000 pieces and at this point, hasn't been built. I need to bulk up my supply of dark red bricks before I attempt it, plus there will be a few colour changes I'm sure, but most of that exists. The brown windows on the front of the left side don't and the small windows around the corner from them are a very old style that is out of production, I just didn't know at the time. Most of the rest should be simple (except that tree, of course).

chinatown_1.jpg_thumb.jpg

chinatown_2.jpg_thumb.jpg

The whole gallery

Downtown On!

imperialshadows, that's a great design for a Chinese restaurant. With the green dragon emblem, the certains and the special formed roof ... very nice!

But I would more like it as an mere City set and not as an very expensive and big Exclusive Creator set (like the Caf

I really like the idea of a camping set. Maybe Lego could team up with the Boy/Girl Scouts to market the line. Camping equipment would be great for Adventurers fans too. I'd like to get a few more tents.

Steve

I got this really weird idea.

From reading most previous posts, I noticed most of you want shops. So instead of making hundreds of different shops, I think TLC should make between 2-4 different shops... with no accessories.

Then, they would make the accessory kits: food, books, and what have you. Since the building would be basically bricks, it would be pretty cheap, and so would the kits. PLUS this way you only buy what shops you want. Maybe more than 4 shops... I dunno. It just seemed like a good idea.

I got this really weird idea.

From reading most previous posts, I noticed most of you want shops. So instead of making hundreds of different shops, I think TLC should make between 2-4 different shops... with no accessories.

Then, they would make the accessory kits: food, books, and what have you. Since the building would be basically bricks, it would be pretty cheap, and so would the kits. PLUS this way you only buy what shops you want. Maybe more than 4 shops... I dunno. It just seemed like a good idea.

I agree 100%. They could do this now with the modular building line. Since the Cafe Corner is un-furnished they could just sell some furniture sets in order to make a cafe or a hotel or condos, maybe even with replacements signs for the hotel sign...

What every city needs:

Arcade

Some brick built machines with some stickers* of spin offs like Pack-Man or Mega Mario Bros.** A circular building wit removeable top and 5 to 3 minifigs. $50.00 USD, eh?

*Sorry *yoda*.

** LOL.

snefroe's idea of a shopping center is also nice.

That was mine, he just quoted it ;-)

TK

Are you sure you want two yachts and two cutters? ;-) :-D

I love your ideas about the oil rig and the oil tanker, but counting the pieces, these sets have to be huge (and expensive). We are having a lot of these sets this year. :-|

If it

In particular I would like a prison (not police station) and a power plant.

Yes, that's a great idea! I've also thought about a prison before. And a power plant would be great, too.

Perhaps like this?:

Prison

a prison (first floor: security check, gate and visitors' room, secind floor: some prison cells) (a broken window might also be possible for escaping) with high walls and a roller gate to drive in

including some observation cameras, a little Black Maria (with doors) and everything you need for a prison

minifigs: 3 prisoners and 3 wardens

Power Plant

a power plant in dark red colour with a high chimney and big windows

including some turbines, motors, barrels and tools

minifigs: one mechanic and two workers

But since we will get a train station (which I personally do not like because it is so untenanted) I got the idea that a cargo train station and a depot would be necessary:

Cargo Train Station

a cargo train station with a little house with an office, some tracks and a big container lift

including a container transport car (with doors), an open train trailer for containers, three containers and a palette with barrels

minifigs: 2 train workers and a car driver

Depot

a big depot (in the style of the dark red engine shed Lego had already released) with big windows and two loading ramps (on the one side to unload the train, on the other side to unload the cargo cars) and sliding gates

including a cargo car (with doors), a hand forklift truck, a forklift, some paletts, some barrels and a lot of cargo stuff

minifigs: 3 train workers, a worker and a car driver

This are my first ideas.

I hope I can do it :-/ .

LUMBER CAMP 30,00

An camp where you can keep lumber in.

5 tree's with 2 axes.

A truck where 2 people can sit.

And 2 minifigs: a lumberjack and his wife plus a dog.

SHOP 15,00

A shop with food.

1 counter to pay the food :-D

And with 1 car!

3 Minifigs: shop owner, shop helper and a custemer called Yoda *yoda* ( X-D ).

Well I hope you like my ideas :-$

In particular I would like a prison (not police station)

Me too but it would have to be big & expensive

A prison will get us something like Arkham Asylum. A small shell of cells, a gate and tower, plus some kind of vehicle as always, all around $90. I think it'd be easier and cheaper to MOC up one, though a spare Arkham set would come in handy.

I like a lot of the ideas in this thread. It really would be nice to see some normal life represented in creator style sets.

Some normal citizens in a "battle"pack, 2 males, 4 females (to make the malization right). Faces may be new frightened faces from castle, but also no specials (no microfone or glasses) so you can use them also for historical and Space/future themes.

not more than 10 euros/7,50 dollar

In the catalogus they had them on pics, so why not in shops

And no fireman, policemen, doctors, criminals, octanguys, roadworkers, trainguys or airportpilots in it. There are already sets with them in.

I'd like to see:

Large Cargo Plane: *wub* Using either the 7893 cockpit section or a new design that let's the nose raise or split open to allow cargo loading from the front, as well as the aft. In my mind, it would look like a scaled down C-17 Globemaster, and would come with a small forklift and a couple of the new cargo containers. It would be spacious enough to accommodate the container truck from the 7994 Harbor, aprox. 12 stud wide fuselage, with a 10 stud interior. It would feature a winch, a ramp that raises/lowers, several of those chains with the studded pieces at either end for securing the cargo, retracting landing gear( on my version, anyway),marshalling wands, etc. It would come with a pilot, co-pilot, and loadmaster. Any of those three could be a female figure, b/c we need more.

Town Hall: Every town needs some governing. TLC could hold a contest to determine the final visual style, as government buildings change from region to region, as well as from country to country. It would be a cool way for TLC to get AFOL input, as well as add something unique to the Town theme. The set would feature the Mayor's office, his secretary's desk, a courtroom, the town licensing office, and the Mayor's car. It would come with the Mayor, a secretary, Judge(with gavel and wig), bailiff, and licensing office worker.

Museum: Another good way to explore a lot of different building styles and a wide range of parts in one set. It would feature special pieces from all the historic themes, as well as each section would be built in the style of the period in modules. Once again, this could be done in the same way as my Town Hall idea, or in the same manner as the Cafe Corner. It would come with the Curator, a museum guard, and a couple spectators.

Car Carrier Lorry: Essentially, a tractor-trailer with a more modern look and built to the current standard for Lego vehicles. Truck would be 8 studs wide(reminiscent of the Ferrari Scuderia truck), enough to accommodate a double-decked trailer with enough room to carry appoximately six 6-stud wide cars, similar to the car in 4728 Escape from Privet Drive from the Harry Potter theme. It would make use of the new faux hydraulic cylinders to raise and lower the upper deck. Comes with driver and mechanic.

Of all these, though, the Cargo Plane, esp one with a newly designed nose section, would be an absolute must-buy for me. There's just something intrinsically cool about all modes of cargo transportation, most especially when they're designed with Lego.

M'Kyuun, I like the idea of a town hall and a museum very much. They could perhaps been built in the way of the old nice 4554 train station. Of course there should be some benchs, some trees and flowers and a fountain in front of these buildings.

The idea of the car carrier lorry and the cargo plane are also a good ideas. But I would like them to be smaller than you proposed. The cause for this is (I mentioned it some time ago) that I want to play with nice, little and well-done Lego sets and not with some smaller Duplo sets. The new Lego cars are going more and more into the direction of Duplo sets (according to the size) which I regret.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wout, I'm the same oppinion as you. Lego should create some (city) minifig sets with 4 until 6 minifigs and some accessories which should be also available in "normal" toy shops.

I would like some sets with a civil car (With doors, please!) with its driver, too.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Besides, nobody gave me yet an answer to my proposals of an office building, a cargo train station, an engine shed, a factory and a depot. Would you like sets like these or not?

M'Kyuun, I like the idea of a town hall and a museum very much. They could perhaps been built in the way of the old nice 4554 train station. Of course there should be some benchs, some trees and flowers and a fountain in front of these buildings.

The idea of the car carrier lorry and the cargo plane are also a good ideas. But I would like them to be smaller than you proposed. The cause for this is (I mentioned it some time ago) that I want to play with nice, little and well-done Lego sets and not with some smaller Duplo sets. The new Lego cars are going more and more into the direction of Duplo sets (according to the size) which I regret.

Wout, I'm the same oppinion as you. Lego should create some (city) minifig sets with 4 until 6 minifigs and some accessories which should be also available in "normal" toy shops.

I would like some sets with a civil car (With doors, please!) with its driver, too.

Besides, nobody gave me yet an answer to my proposals of an office building, a cargo train station, an engine shed, a factory and a depot. Would you like sets like these or not?

I'll second you on all your proposals. And your fountain and benches ideas are excellent...hadn't even thought of exterior details outside of the actual building's construction.

Lego City desperately needs to expand beyond fire, police, and construction. So far, 2007 is shaping up to be a great year. Your ideas, and those of the other posters here would also add some much needed life, uniqueness, and playability to what had become a stale theme. I forget who suggested the oil freighter and oil rig ideas, but I've been hoping for the latter since I was a teenager 20+ years ago. Lego even had a rig on the cover of one of their little set booklets, but I can't recall the year. 80's, I believe. I like the freighter idea, too. More big boats! :-P Shame they don't do military; an aircraft carrier would be pure love.

TLC have been making a lot of changes over the last few years in terms of building styles, fan inputs, licensing, weapons, fleshtones, etc. I hope it continues, although I don't know if my wallet could handle the strain. As with any change, feelings have been mixed, but I personally like the direction they're heading. I also like 6-stud wide vehicles that can accommodate 2 minifigs-- even as a kid, never quite cottoned to the skinny 4-wide vehicles, especially trucks. I'm a big fan of Lego vehicles in proper scale; I love my huge cargo ship wih the Harbor set, and the 7992 Container Stacker. And, although I don't own any of the larger construction vehicles fom the last few years, I thought they were brilliantly done, as well as the 7998 Heavy Hauler. I think a vehicle can be made well in scale without venturing into DUPLO territory. I hold up the aforementioned construction sets as examples. And, look at what has been accomplished in the Star Wars theme; there is an abundance of large vehicles/ships that look great without being "<insert that tiresome argument>". But everybody has different ideas about things, thank goodness. It'd be pretty boring if everyone thought the same way. Creativity and diversity would be replaced by redundancy. No thanks. -M'Kyuun

Edited by M'Kyuun

I'd like to see:

Large Cargo Plane: *wub* Using either the 7893 cockpit section or a new design that let's the nose raise or split open to allow cargo loading from the front, as well as the aft. In my mind, it would look like a scaled down C-17 Globemaster, and would come with a small forklift and a couple of the new cargo containers. It would be spacious enough to accommodate the container truck from the 7994 Harbor, aprox. 12 stud wide fuselage, with a 10 stud interior. It would feature a winch, a ramp that raises/lowers, several of those chains with the studded pieces at either end for securing the cargo, retracting landing gear( on my version, anyway),marshalling wands, etc. It would come with a pilot, co-pilot, and loadmaster. Any of those three could be a female figure, b/c we need more.

Car Carrier Lorry: Essentially, a tractor-trailer with a more modern look and built to the current standard for Lego vehicles. Truck would be 8 studs wide(reminiscent of the Ferrari Scuderia truck), enough to accommodate a double-decked trailer with enough room to carry appoximately six 6-stud wide cars, similar to the car in 4728 Escape from Privet Drive from the Harry Potter theme. It would make use of the new faux hydraulic cylinders to raise and lower the upper deck. Comes with driver and mechanic.

Of all these, though, the Cargo Plane, esp one with a newly designed nose section, would be an absolute must-buy for me. There's just something intrinsically cool about all modes of cargo transportation, most especially when they're designed with Lego.

Great ideas! I espeacailly like the car transsport idea. A simular cab as the new heavy hauler. I'm curious as there are a couple types of car transports.

centurion_auto_transport_gmc.jpg

This is typical of what you see in america. It hitches up at the bumper rather than a conventual 5th wheel over the rear axles. This would be nice. This style is more typical tractor/trailer style like the one you meantioned

cliff_brown_kw.jpg

Both would be nice. I guess the advantage of the 2nd design would be you could use the cab to pull other trailers in the yard. I beilve somone meantioned a shipping depot. This would be perfect!

Speaking of trucks, how about a truck stop? There could be a restrantwith a waitress, a cook, and even a hostesess. A mechanics garage with two bays, a lift, a bunch of spare parts, a tire rack with spare tires and couple of mechincs on duty with a tow truck standing by! There would have to be a couple of gas pumps with a spot for trucks to park and relax for the night. As far as the trucks go. Ther are plenty of possiblites. A container truck is a must, as is a tanker truck. I' think it would also be great to have a truck with double trailers! This was a great set....

6393-1.jpg

I have to disagree with you on this. Though the vechicles may be getting bigger, i think they are more to mini fig scale than before. Even if they are getting as big as some duplo, the detail is much better than before. I welcome more 8 wide trucks, and 6 wide cars trucks!

Edited by 5150 Lego

Great ideas! I espeacailly like the car transsport idea. A simular cab as the new heavy hauler. I'm curious as there are a couple types of car transports.

centurion_auto_transport_gmc.jpg

This is typical of what you see in america. It hitches up at the bumper rather than a conventual 5th wheel over the rear axles. This would be nice. This style is more typical tractor/trailer style like the one you meantioned

cliff_brown_kw.jpg

Both would be nice. I guess the advantage of the 2nd design would be you could use the cab to pull other trailers in the yard. I beilve somone meantioned a shipping depot. This would be perfect!

Speaking of trucks, how about a truck stop? There could be a restrantwith a waitress, a cook, and even a hostesess. A mechanics garage with two bays, a lift, a bunch of spare parts, a tire rack with spare tires and couple of mechincs on duty with a tow truck standing by! There would have to be a couple of gas pumps with a spot for trucks to park and relax for the night. As far as the trucks go. Ther are plenty of possiblites. A container truck is a must, as is a tanker truck. I' think it would also be great to have a truck with double trailers! This was a great set....

6393-1.jpg

I have to disagree with you on this. Though the vechicles may be getting bigger, i think they are more to mini fig scale than before. Even if they are getting as big as some duplo, the detail is much better than before. I welcome more 8 wide trucks, and 6 wide cars trucks!

I can't agree more! Just finished putting the Heavy Hauler together. What an excellent set! It should be the standard for Lego City trucks. The cab portion, if shortened some, would make an excellent semi-truck for any number of trailer ideas. The pics you posted of the car carriers are spot on with what I had in mind. I like the second, as it allows the truck to be used with other trailers. I'm partial to cabover trucks, i.e. with flat front end. I think it's all because of Optimus Prime! :-D Anyway, I'd like to see a trailer with 6 or 7 6-wide cars of different styles(sedans, sport cars, maybe an SUV). And your idea for a truck depot, if designed with 6 & 8 wide trucks with a large tow truck and repair bays would be great, not to mention pricey. Then again, if it was done well, it'd be worth the ducats.

I still pine for a large cargo plane. With the exception of a large cargo transport lorry, it would complete all modes of travel for the Cargo Transport theme. Lego ambassadors, if your reading this....