PoweredbyNorth

MOC: Dutch Mansion

indexed.gif B-RM-11A

In Dutch we would call this a 'Herenhuis'. I guess it would best be translated as a mansion. You would typically find this for example at the canals in Amsterdam. Anyway, this is my second mod since I picked up building with LEGO earlier this year. I hope you like it!

Complete set of pictures:

Some teasers:

8254838944_9528726e6d.jpg

8254843250_69dbcbb3b1.jpg

8253767389_c0934dfc2a.jpg

Very nice!! Love all the details (that shutter design is very effective!) And I especially like the tiled floors.

Excellent work!

Really nice work :thumbup: :thumbup:

I really like the frontage of the modular and the forniture :wink:

I like this a lot. Especially the tiled floors, the window shutters, and the detail work in things like the storage cabinet in the piano room. It looks really impressive.

Thanks for sharing!

Excellent build PbN. The exterior is very nice, I like the shutters you've built. Haven't seen that before. The interior is very nice as well, especially the attention to the tile floors! Great job! :classic:

The window shutters and lead-lighting effect is beautiful :wub: and very clever indeed......simple but really effective......wonderful Dutch-inspired design...Brick On 'PoweredbyNorth' ! :sweet:

This is fantastic! :wub: I love all the features, especially the shutters, floors and furniture.

Gorgeous MOC and impressive building technique! *oh2*

I like the skilfull way you have realized the tiles'floor ...the bathroom and the white wardrobe in the bedroom are great too! :wub:

Very good work! :thumbup:

Absolutely stunning, I really love the window shutters and the tiled floor. And there is so much more detail to it.

Wonder how it would look if you remove 1 window from the width and would use it to add an extra floor

Very nice MOC :thumbup:

Both the facade and the interior are great. The floors are fantastic :wub:

Edited by Lasse

This really is a wonderful building. There are so many great details that it's hard to know where to start. I was very impressed with the exterior at first (the shutters have been mentioned, and do look very nice - and the dark blue roof works very well with the tan walls), but then I realised that you'd put a full interior in - and what an interior it is!

Those tile patterns on the ground floor really are spectacular. The kitchen and bathroom are great, and the living room looks so cozy with the fireplace and all. The piano on the top floor is gorgeous as well. But what impresses me the most is the fact that you've even built a studs-down decorative pattern for the ceiling. Now that's attention to detail - I don't think I've ever seen that before!

Only your second build since your return to LEGO, you say? Wow. I'm looking forward to your next one!

Wow, what a beautiful building :wub:. All these nice details, both on the exterior and interior. You even made ceilings! I think this deserves a

See it on Classic-Town.net

Well done :sweet:

Many thanks for all the nice replies! I'm honored it's now on classic-town.net. Very cool. I'm pretty proud of the model myself. Many details I borrowed from other MOC-ers, but I guess many of us do. Some of the details that I worked out myself are the shutters, the stained glass, the facade and the door posts, which look pretty good if you ask me. Anyway, it was a lot of fun to build, but man, this is turning out to be an expensive hobby.... :blush:

Many thanks for all the nice replies! I'm honored it's now on classic-town.net. Very cool. I'm pretty proud of the model myself. Many details I borrowed from other MOC-ers, but I guess many of us do. Some of the details that I worked out myself are the shutters, the stained glass, the facade and the door posts, which look pretty good if you ask me.

Agreed, some of the best parts you've engineered right there. Since you exlude them from the list, are the tiled floors on the first story inspired by EofAlshire? It's general enough that it may not be, and different in that yours looks set in place but not all attached, which is of course necessary for the studless look. Anyhow I've added you as a contact on Flickr!

Agreed, some of the best parts you've engineered right there. Since you exlude them from the list, are the tiled floors on the first story inspired by EofAlshire? It's general enough that it may not be, and different in that yours looks set in place but not all attached, which is of course necessary for the studless look. Anyhow I've added you as a contact on Flickr!

I guess you mean the tiled floor on the ground floor? It was actually inspired by this building.

DSCF3207.Café The Corner

I wanted to copy it, but had no idea how to do it. I took me some time to find out how. Actually most of the parts are attached, only a handful are not. I added a picture of the building technique I used. All I can say is that it consumes a lot of parts...

8261031270_315cbed933.jpg

Btw: I cant find this EofAlshire on Flickr?

Edited by PoweredbyNorth

Nice building. The window shutters are great and I also like the glas in lead window part above the main part of the windows. That really looks like the typical Dutch buildings.

Apart from that the interior is great as well.

Wow is right, two studs deep means you can use the five plate ratio to attach the tiles, but it is much more parts intensive. I wonder if your source was in turn inspired by mine (I've used this technique, but for a winerack, never having to tile it flush). His flickr was deleted long ago for whatever reason, but his work is still on Brickshelf. Here you can see he was going two studs high using bricks instead of the two plate and one tile combination: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=2337598

P.S. - I'd forgotten that the European first storey is the North American second story!

I find it very beautiful, great use of colour and nice techniques! :thumbup:

It might be a bit wide, I would however expect it to be deeper, but I guess that would also just take up more space in a layout.