Doctor Sinister

LEGO Ambassador Program - help me petition for a Doctor Who LEGO theme

Calling All Doctor Who LEGO Fans!

Logo.jpg

Facebook page.

Petition.

Do YOU want to see an official range of LEGO Doctor Who sets?

Would YOU like to help me petition LEGO for such a range?

Hopefully LEGO fans reading this will be aware of the LEGO Ambassador Program – where Adult Fans of LEGO (AFOLs) nominated by their respective LUGs can interact directly with the LEGO Group to dicsuss ideas, themes and trends.

I am pleased to be able to announce that for the 2011 cycle, I have been accepted as a LEGO Ambassador on behalf of The Brickish Association, the UK Forum for Adult Fans of LEGO.

I am happy to serve and I will endeavour to do so to the best of my ability…but I would also like to be able to use this position to attempt to persuade LEGO to take the plunge and open discussions with the BBC about a range of official Doctor Who LEGO sets.

There are a great many AFOLs out there who are also fans of Doctor Who – myself included. There are also huge numbers of children out there who I am sure would be delighted to see two of their interests, Doctor Who and LEGO, merge together to create what could be an extremely exciting range of figures and sets. Such a range would be potentially unlimited in scope, featuring all eras of history, including future history, and any world in the universe.

Doctor Who has a rich strain of stories, characters and alien creatures to call upon – this could be the ultimate LEGO range.

LEGO’s response to date has always been that Doctor Who doesn’t have enough of an international following to be successful – a response that I don’t accept, and I’d like you to help me try to prove them wrong.

To help prove the point, I have set up an online petition and I would ask anyone of the same mind as me to complete this to help in my campaign. In addition, I am keen to acquire testimonials from AFOLs about their specific interests in a Doctor Who LEGO range – for example, do you have children of your own who are crying out for such a range? Give me the information, and I will present it en-masse to The LEGO Group. You can sign the petition here, you can participate in the Facebook group, and/or you can e-mail your testimonials to doctorwholego@blahblahblah.co.uk

Obviously, I cannot promise that we will get a result, but we can at least perhaps hope to raise the global profile of Doctor Who with LEGO.

Dr. S.

Does anyone outside of the UK know Dr. Who? I only know it because I from time to time stumble upon it on the Internet, AFAIK it has never been on Swedish telly and the average Swede has no idea what it is. I scrolled down a few wikipedia-pages trying to find if it's a big thing outside of the UK but could not see anything obvious.

Signed. I am a Brit, but Mrs W is a fan and she's Japanese. It shows occasionally on Disney channel here (Christopher Eccleston).

Does anyone outside of the UK know Dr. Who? I only know it because I from time to time stumble upon it on the Internet, AFAIK it has never been on Swedish telly and the average Swede has no idea what it is. I scrolled down a few wikipedia-pages trying to find if it's a big thing outside of the UK but could not see anything obvious.

Well, I am Dutch and I have been aware of Doctor Who since the Tom Baker era. (1974-1981)

Which is pretty early considering I was born in 1973.

It was transmitted by one of the dutch broadcasting organizations. I think it was the KRO, they also showed Battlestar Galactica and Star Trek.

And by doing so they are responsible for my Science Fiction addiction.

(Thank you KRO) :sweet:

Signed so hard, I pulled a muscle doing it.

E:You should really twitter the moff about it. If the grand overlord of new who is interested, you never know...

Edited by simonjedi

Petition signed, Facebook Liked.

I will even gather an entire army of 7-11 year olds to storm television centre if that is required - Trust me they would be up for it !

My mom and I are both fans and we've never been outside of America. I am proud to be part of the Doctor Who fanbase and would be glad to add my signature to this petition

Since this is something about the Ambassador Program, I'll move it into the Embassy.

Signed. I love Doctor Who. Too bad the TARDIS would be a hard set to make. Perhaps LEGO could make a smaller set of just one of the doctors and his companion and the outside of the TARDIS, and then a bigger playset version with like the control room an stuff.

Does anyone outside of the UK know Dr. Who?

Well said! :thumbup:

No offence, but what's the point in that? It's not that popular or cool for people outside the UK, you know...

I say yes, as long as the sonic screwdriver isn't a lightsaber handle.

Oh and can you see if TLG could release a star ocean range, I want a Fayt figure :sing::grin:

Edited by dragunov

No offense to any British people, but alot of people in the U.S. don't know what Doctor Who is, and although I've seen an episode I thought it was horrible.. :sick:

Unfortunatly Dr. Who is a definite UK Cult series that's hardly shown in other parts of the world as big big prime time series.

I don't think there will ever be an official line even if 1 million people sign the petition.

Although i do love The Doctor (David Tennant was just brilliant).

Did sign the petition, 'cause i'm a cool guy :tongue:

Edited by BasOne

I'm Canadian and the ONLY thing my 4.5 year-old son is asking Santa for is a "green screwdriver" as in the Sonic Screwdriver as used by Matt Smith as the Doctor. So yes, I have a whole family that is waiting for the Christmas Special to air and I know a lot of Discerning fans in the United States so there is something of a market over here.

Well said! :thumbup:

No offence, but what's the point in that? It's not that popular or cool for people outside the UK, you know...

You might think so, but more than half the signatures so far are from the US.

Dr. S.

Dutchman living in Spain and YES Doctor Who LEGO sets would be absolutely fabulous.

Who cares if people don 't know the Doctor (yet). A LEGO Doctor Who theme will raise awareness and the licence will be cheap :laugh:

Signed, liked, sent to everyone I believe might be interested... let's see what else we can do.

I am from the USA (Southern part) and have never heard of Dr.Who, I thought he was a James Bond character or something. However, taking this in account, I believe this set would be a hit in the UK, but a flop elsewhere.

Signed. Facebook page liked. Quite a while ago, actually.

I'm from the US, and I know what Dr. Who is. I love it. My uncle loves it, and has a flood of friends who like it as well. It would have a fanbase in the US, trust me.

Certainly the main market for Doctor Who is the UK - after the reboot a few years ago, it has become one of the most popular shows on British TV; so much so that school playgrounds the length and breadth of the country resonate to the cries of "Exterminate!" "You will be deleted!", and probably "Come along Pond!". Not to mention that the Christmas Special is now as much a Christmas Day tradition as the Queen's Speech. But it is also - particularly the new version - gaining popularity in the US and Canada, to the extent that the new series of Torchwood (a more adult-oriented spin-off from Doctor Who) is being co-produced by a US network and filmed in LA, and two stories in the 2011 Doctor Who series are being filmed in the US. And there has been a small (but loyal) fanbase in the US, Canada and Australia ever since the original version. I know it is also aired in Europe but I'm not sure how popular it is; I have some Belgian friends who enjoy it.

Anyway, yes, it's nowhere as near as popular as Star Wars - but I have three words for you: Prince, Of, and Persia. If there's concern about whether Doctor Who has enough worldwide popularity, I would have thought it'd be more attractive than a film based on a computer game. Which, I gather, didn't even do very well.

Indeed, you only have to look at the Toys R Us displays (and the gaps in them) to see how popular DW merchandise is. Pretty much anything with a blue police box (or a Dalek) on it sells like hot cakes...