Sign in to follow this  
Gabe

Arad Dukkar - The Tower of the Dawn

The eastern fiefdom of Peregrinus, and in particuar the port city of Berigora has been of late undergoing a program of public works, under the current rule of the Peregrinus's new lord, Erudhalion Sansael. After pledging Peregrinus for the Kaliphlin guild, Lord Sansael orders the restoration and refurbishment of the ancient port garrison of Arad Dukkar, which is built into the cliff face at the entrance to Berigora harbour. It's large, flat top is the ideal location for a new watchtower and lighthouse.

watchtower2rs_151211.jpg

The old fortress walls and battlements are repaired, and the new tower adds over double the height to the existing structure!

watchtower4rs_151211.jpg

watchtower5rs_151211.jpg

watchtower6rs_151211.jpg

Lord Sansael and his personal gaurd inspect the finished watchtower, and are shown the sights by the tower's new commander, Sir Barold. Lord Sansael is well pleased. "From this day forth, i rename Arad Dukkar as The Tower of the Dawn, as it heralds a new dawn of secure trade for our fair city!"

watchtower7rs_151211.jpg

Lighthouse duties are not for everyone, but grizzled soldier "one-eyed" Jaccus loves it. Not only has he got a wonderful head for heights, but he has keener sight out of his one good eye than most men have in both! The lighthouse is well stocked with oil, coal and kindling, and Jaccus feeds and stokes the fire with a long paddle throughout the night. Here he greets the dawn, looking forward to being relieved so he can go and have a kip.

watchtower9rs_151211.jpg

Sir Barold's quarters at the base of the new lighthouse tower. The pressures of command certainly bring some home comforts along with it!

watchtower10rs_151211.jpg

The garrison at Arad Dukkar is well provisioned and has ample space for storage, sleeping space, dining and an armoury.

watchtower11rs_151211.jpg

A better view of the upstairs dining area. Downstairs to the right is the armoury, whilst there is sleeping space in the bottom of the large round tower. (Which you can't see, sorry!) Here you can also see one of the nightshift gaurds winding down with an ale before bed. :wink:

watchtower12rs_151211.jpg

And just cause they are super cute, here is one of the bunkbeds for the gaurds! They look inviting, no?

The sharper-eyed among you might have noticed a tub of shot on the battlements, but no catapults to fire them. :look: Lord Sansael's next visit will be to the armaments workshop, where he will be lighting a fire under those lazy sods - hopefully we should have new anti-ship catapults for our battlements soon! :thumbup:

Thanks for looking peeps - c and c welcome as always! :classic:

Edited by gabe

Almost makes me wish I'd joined Kaliphlin...

You can switch! We'll welcome you with open arms! There is even snow high in our Rakath mountains, so you can have a bit of the Mitgardia experience in Kaliphlin too.

Remarkable craftsmanship!

The Warlocks of Nocturnus stand in awe beneath your monumenatal building.

Edited by Hexx

Wow! This is probably my favorite watchtower of the whole challenge. Almost makes me wish I'd joined Kaliphlin...

You can switch! We'll welcome you with open arms! There is even snow high in our Rakath mountains, so you can have a bit of the Mitgardia experience in Kaliphlin too.

Yes! Join us... join us.... you know you want to... :wink: Just kidding, but if you happen to be passing Peregrinus someday, feel free to visit - you may never want to leave!

Remarkable craftsmanship!

The Warlocks of Nocturnus stand in awe beneath your monumenatal building.

Why thank you sir! Your kind words are most appreciated. :classic:

So many great details here Gabe, Sir Barold's bed looks very comfortable, and the Standard is very cool. I really like the way you incorporated the guild colours into the new part of the building. The sand green looks good too.

What I like best though, is that it means you recovered! :sweet:

:classic:

Nice work gabe! A simply fantastic entry. I adore the intricate details on the roof. The scale is very impressive too! I think you did a much better job than me of showing the lighthouse flame.

It looks exactly like it would fit in within how I imagine Kaliphlin...nice one! :thumbup:

So many great details here Gabe, Sir Barold's bed looks very comfortable, and the Standard is very cool. I really like the way you incorporated the guild colours into the new part of the building. The sand green looks good too.

What I like best though, is that it means you recovered! :sweet:

:classic:

Thanks! I'm getting stronger every day - i had to have a day of rest after photographing this, but i'm back on track now - some boats/ships and a harbour shall be next i think. :classic:

The Dark blue and red cheese on the rooftop battlements were a fallback as i didn't have enough tan cheese (looks wistfully at the way-out-of-my-budget Tower Bridge!), but i like the way it's turned out. Hooray for happy accidents, hey?

Very nice indeed, with some great details! The bunk bed design is really superb! :classic:

Glad you like the bunk beds - you gotta have well rested troops, after all! :wink:

Nice work gabe! A simply fantastic entry. I adore the intricate details on the roof. The scale is very impressive too! I think you did a much better job than me of showing the lighthouse flame.

It looks exactly like it would fit in within how I imagine Kaliphlin...nice one! :thumbup:

Thanks Wahil/Basiliscus, i really appreciate yr kind comment, coming as it does from a master lighthouse builder. :classic: The tower ended up being quite a bit taller than i imagined, mainly because i had to incorporate a means for the flame platform to be raised and lowered so the gaurds could climb up underneath it. I still don't know who is going to climb up and clean the shiny roof when it gets all sooty though...! :sceptic:

Edited by gabe

This is a great watchtower! All the details in just 32x32 is amazing! I like that you used the height and built a solid and long tower with different levels!

And the falcons with the prince of persia headgears (don´t know the english word for that) is great!!

A great entry!!

This is a great watchtower! All the details in just 32x32 is amazing! I like that you used the height and built a solid and long tower with different levels!

And the falcons with the prince of persia headgears (don´t know the english word for that) is great!!

A great entry!!

Thanks de Gothia for your kind words, i really appreciate them! :blush: I believe the PoP headgear are called Keffiyehs, at least that's what BL calls them.

Ok, time for a small update - now with added mini-catapults! They aren't much to look at for sure, but they get the job done. Each catapult is wheeled for ease of movement around the battlements, and each carrys on-board ammunition of 2 rocks and 4 pitch bombs. They don't have a great range, but anyone trying to storm the harbour can be assured of a firey reception! :devil:

catapults2rs_211211.jpg

And another shot of the mini-catapaults in place on the battlements. :classic:

catapults1rs_211211.jpg

Thanks for looking peeps! Have a great Christmas/holiday season! :classic:

Great work mate :thumbup:.

Love the use of colour, very refreshing after all grey you usually see.

Looking forward to seeing what else you bring to Historica as the initiative progresses....such a shame you didn't join the dark side.:wink:

Great work mate :thumbup:.

Love the use of colour, very refreshing after all grey you usually see.

Looking forward to seeing what else you bring to Historica as the initiative progresses....such a shame you didn't join the dark side.:wink:

Thanks mate! Yes, i feel like i'm the only Australian who is not a part of Nocturnus atm? :laugh: But then i am based on the east coast of Historica, so perhaps that's something. And i'll be paying you lot a visit soon with my embassy build - i'm looking forward to that! :devil:

I said this in the guild forum, but I think it needs repeating.

This tower is absolutely stunning.

The size and DETAIL is increadible. I also know how quickly you out this together - which blows my mind even further.

And those mini catapults are adorable.

PS - well get some fosters in the guild hall and make you feel more at home!