Jump to content


MINI Mon Calamari MC80 Liberty-type Star Cruiser


10 replies to this topic

#1 Legostein

Legostein

  • I'm a million!


    Posts: 1890
    Joined: 06-April 07
    Member: 1505
    Country: Germany

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:47 PM

Posted Image

Good evening everybody!

After a long time, I thought it was about time to present again a MINI model to you. So, I'd like to present model No. 212 to you: A Mon Calamari MC80 winged Liberty-type Star Cruiser as it can be seen in "Return of the Jedi" during the Battle of Endor. It's the first ship of the Rebel fleet being destroyed by the superlaser of the second Death Star.

The model features a similar "plate" technique as I used for my MINI Imperial Star Destroyer, thus it's built to scale with its imperial counterpart. :classic: So, the best thing is to build both vessels if you like. :wink:


Posted Image


Posted Image


Posted Image


Posted Image


Posted Image


Posted Image


Posted Image



As long as BrickShelf updates, you can access the building instructions for both ships here.


Have a great week-end!

Yours Christopher
Posted Image http://www.deckdesigns.de - Bricks, Building & Beyond Posted Image

#2 hohesC

hohesC

    Posts: 23
    Joined: 01-July 11
    Member: 18794

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:44 AM

Hello Legostein!

Finally someone takes on the challenge of those curvacious Mon-Cal capital-ships. I really like how this one came out, thank you for sharing it with us!
Would it be possible to bulid it in tan/dark tan, or are the needed bricks not available in those colours? I'm just curious how that would turn out.
After you took the first step I hope someone takes up the challenge and starts one in midi-scale!

Always a pleasure to turn on the computer in the morning and see a new creation from you! :classic:

Cheers, C*

#3 Gory51

Gory51

    Posts: 81
    Joined: 16-April 12
    Member: 28016
    Country: South Africa

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:11 AM

View PosthohesC, on 28 April 2012 - 07:44 AM, said:

Hello Legostein!

Finally someone takes on the challenge of those curvacious Mon-Cal capital-ships. I really like how this one came out, thank you for sharing it with us!
Would it be possible to bulid it in tan/dark tan, or are the needed bricks not available in those colours? I'm just curious how that would turn out.
After you took the first step I hope someone takes up the challenge and starts one in midi-scale!

Always a pleasure to turn on the computer in the morning and see a new creation from you! :classic:

Cheers, C*
I see in his links he does have a midi scale version, ;)
I also agree with some grey and tan rather than white and tan colours, but this looks quite good for a mini. Those Mon Cal cruisers are certainly not easy to tackle with all the curves.
When I die, I just hope my wife does not sell my Lego collection for what I have "told" her I have spent on it :)

#4 The Blue Brick

The Blue Brick

    Posts: 1179
    Joined: 01-July 11
    Member: 18793
    Country: United States

Posted 28 April 2012 - 02:56 PM

I think this is very good. The Star Destroyer is very good. I do agree the white and tan cruiser does look a little off.

Anyways, great moc.  :classic:

#5 Legostein

Legostein

  • I'm a million!


    Posts: 1890
    Joined: 06-April 07
    Member: 1505
    Country: Germany

Posted 28 April 2012 - 05:46 PM

Hello!

Thanks for the comments! :classic:

Regarding the colour, I think white is the perfect colour for Mon Cal cruisers. They have an additional pattern with small tan spots. These spots are normally too small to display on a mini model, thus pure white would already be accurate enough. :classic: But I chose to use some tan elements, although the tan spots are then larger than normal. Adding another gray colour would not be suitable as the result would look like a patchwork pattern. :wink:

Cheers,

~ Christopher
Posted Image http://www.deckdesigns.de - Bricks, Building & Beyond Posted Image

#6 Dapper-D2

Dapper-D2

    Posts: 596
    Joined: 20-November 11
    Member: 22141
    Country: USA

Posted 29 April 2012 - 05:11 AM

These look great together and are scaled nicely. I like your choice of colors too; they work well for ships of this size!  :thumbup:  :thumbup:
IDEAS
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image  Posted Image  
flickr

#7 mutley777

mutley777

  • The one and only Star Wars hoarder!


    Posts: 2219
    Joined: 29-January 05
    Member: 193
    Country: England

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:09 AM

A very nice mini with a perfect colour choice for this scale. All the main details have been captured in the model. Nice work! :thumbup:

Posted Image

#8 Mr Man

Mr Man

    Posts: 3756
    Joined: 01-October 10
    Member: 13561
    Country: England

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:59 AM

I always thought the Liberty-type was longer than a Imperial-class, like the Home One-type. Still it's a really good colour match especialy for it's small size.
'For over a thousand generations the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic.'
Posted Image Posted Image

#9 Legostein

Legostein

  • I'm a million!


    Posts: 1890
    Joined: 06-April 07
    Member: 1505
    Country: Germany

Posted 29 April 2012 - 12:40 PM

Hello!

Thanks again for your comments! And thanks for the reference image. :classic:

The length of a normal MC80 cruiser is 1,200 meters. There are similar discussions about the length of the Home One as there are for the length for the Executor. I don't want to discuss this here. :wink:

For those who are a bit familiar with the Expanded Universe, the Mon Remonda was the first Mon Calamari MC80B Star Cruiser. It appears in the X-Wing novels for example. I redesigned it yesterday, also to scale with the ISD and the MC80, and thus am adding another image below. :classic:


Posted Image



Cheers,

~ Christopher
Posted Image http://www.deckdesigns.de - Bricks, Building & Beyond Posted Image

#10 Mr Man

Mr Man

    Posts: 3756
    Joined: 01-October 10
    Member: 13561
    Country: England

Posted 29 April 2012 - 03:05 PM

View PostLegostein, on 29 April 2012 - 12:40 PM, said:

The length of a normal MC80 cruiser is 1,200 meters. There are similar discussions about the length of the Home One as there are for the length for the Executor. I don't want to discuss this here. :wink:

For those who are a bit familiar with the Expanded Universe, the Mon Remonda was the first Mon Calamari MC80B Star Cruiser. It appears in the X-Wing novels for example. I redesigned it yesterday, also to scale with the ISD and the MC80, and thus am adding another image below. :classic:

I gave up with class names for Mon Cala ships, a Home one Type, and a Liberty Type are supposedly both the same class :hmpf_bad:. I just pictured them Destroyer sized (between 1200m and 2100m).

Oh good job on the Mon Remonda Legostein, you got the asymmetrical-ness of it spot on.
'For over a thousand generations the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic.'
Posted Image Posted Image

#11 Legostein

Legostein

  • I'm a million!


    Posts: 1890
    Joined: 06-April 07
    Member: 1505
    Country: Germany

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:56 PM

View PostMr Man, on 29 April 2012 - 03:05 PM, said:

I gave up with class names for Mon Cala ships, a Home one Type, and a Liberty Type are supposedly both the same class :hmpf_bad:. I just pictured them Destroyer sized (between 1200m and 2100m).

Oh good job on the Mon Remonda Legostein, you got the asymmetrical-ness of it spot on.

Thanks, and no worries! There are even many many more MonCal ship types. :wink: Even those of the same class are unique each. :classic: But in general we can say that MC80 (Liberty and wingless Liberty), MC80a (Roleplaying Game, Exanded Universe) and MC80b (Mon Remonda, Expanded Universe) are all 1,200 meters in length. The Home One is larger but no one exactly knows how long. The newer MC90 (Expanded Universe) are 1,250 meters. :classic:

Anyway, let's rather build ships than arguing about lengths! :classic:

Cheers,

Christopher
Posted Image http://www.deckdesigns.de - Bricks, Building & Beyond Posted Image



Reply to this topic



  


1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users