Tazmaniac

Guarded Inn

On the western border of Nocturnus lies the guarded inn.

Once a mighty stronghold ravaged by the tides of war and laid to waist is now open for business by the very same folk who once held the strong hold from enemy invasion (though they've got a little less life in them these days).

Featuring the amazing Zombies designed by EB's very own BrickThing and printed by Brick ink.

Note that these are commissioned prints and are not available to purchase.

Guarded inn by Taz-Maniac, on Flickr7219912268_4eeba34ba4_z.jpg

7219913912_9fabce5070.jpg

Guard relief by Taz-Maniac, on Flickr

7180046506_33f9a9748e.jpg

7180048300_b9ceff2d3d.jpg

7180050198_6bbf3f2995.jpg

7180052692_185cbe75de.jpg

7180054268_05cb3a18cf.jpg

Wow! I can't even comment on your awesome build. I feel shamed having seen this third party advertisement. I don't get why this is posted here? We're allowed to advertise in the forum?

Wow! I can't even comment on your awesome build. I feel shamed having seen this third party advertisement. I don't get why this is posted here? We're allowed to advertise in the forum?

Ummm....what?

Why don't you take a moment to comment on an amazing build and enjoy it all. If you don't like the custom designed Zombie heads so be it, but don't bring down a member with negative comments on who or what he did to source some new unique design, others will take a look at the link if they choose. Might save 20 other members asking the same question of "Where do I get those from"

snip We're allowed to advertise in the forum?

No we're not allowed to shamelessly plug a third party company for our own gain but it is customary to give credit to those who have designed and printed custom pieces. Much like some one who uses Brickarms in a creation and gives a shout out.

If I had not added that one little line members would assume I made the heads which would not be fair to BrickThing who did a great job designing these out of the goodness of his heart and at no personal gain and to Brick ink who did an exceptional job printing the heads. credit where credit's due, wouldn't you say?

I'm glad we sorted that out...now what do you think of my Inn? :grin:

It's a beauty Taz! :wub:

From top to bottom the design is pure awesome! I think it's the most balanced build you've done to date; just a perfect blend of colors and unique techniques! :thumbup:

New zombies look great as well!

Good work snazzy Tazzy.

I like dark gray tower color and the stained glass window (I swear I've seen that technique before) coloring is really cool.

I don't know if it is the angles or the colors, but there is something I really like about the whole build.

The one thing I will say, as cool as the BrickThing figures are, I would liked to have seen some close-ups/details of the build itself and not just of the figures.

I like dark gray tower color and the stained glass window (I swear I've seen that technique before) coloring is really cool.

I have no idea what you're talking about. :look::tongue:

The one thing I will say, as cool as the BrickThing figures are, I would liked to have seen some close-ups/details of the build itself and not just of the figures.

That could be arranged. :sweet:

excellent build!

I love the stain glass and the details roofs are all nice.

the angles and the surrounding landscape is top notch as we have come to expect from you.

Mikey

I feel strongly that clone or custom parts is cheating. Please don't twist my statment out of proportion. There is too much focus on the figures making it feel like an ad. OK, on to build. The Avalonian style architecture is superb. I especially like the roof designs on the left side. The Ninjago sai's are a really nice touch. The dark grey castle section really sets a sinister vibe for the whole scene and add's great depth. Is the zombie in the tower peeing? That scene has me a little confused. Looking forward to see some more pic's! :thumbup:

I feel strongly that clone or custom parts is cheating.

I respectfully disagree; I think if you do what the Lego company does with every new wave you are not breaking the rules; that is make custom head/body prints and new parts and accessories. I used to think of it very conservatively but as soon as collectible minifigures started to appear and flooded the market with hundreds of new accessories and molds I was convinced that using parts from companies like brick warriors and brick arms was fair game as it was only a matter of time before Lego released a similar item. (Turns out I was right)

As for custom printing that entails perhaps the least amount of "cheating" imaginable! The zombies here are based on Lego's own design, done by their guidelines for spacing by a talented artist (Brickthing) and printed professionally. To me that is hundred-fold better than printing a face on paper, and pasting it on a minifigure.

And what is cheating? Cutting parts, using glue to hold parts together, stressing parts past their natural limit. That's Lego's own definition.

Prizes for Hostorica will include custom heads and accessories; all professionally done, so please consider the incredible amounts of work that has gone into these and why the people involved deserve the credit given to them here.

Cheers

Really nice work! Glad to see your 1x2 plate technique combined with some classic medieval building styles. This almost looks more like a half-ruined Avalonian building than something in Nocturnus. Really nice roof technique on the stable. And nice rake on the black roofs; so simple, yet looks so good! Perhaps you could add a closeup of that?

I feel strongly that clone or custom parts is cheating.

Not sure how this is "cheating" since it's not for a contest or competition (except maybe the free-builds). As long as Taz calls out what he's done, I'm fine with it. Some people will dislike it and think it cheapens the build, others will go buy the custom piece, and most will just shrug. And as long as the free-build competition didn't exclude custom / non-TLG parts, I think it's OK. Even if it did exclude them, so what? Taz has still made a great MOC, and I'm sure he won't care if it's not considered in the free-build competition.

But then again, we're all just reacting to the tone of Beery's original post. If he had said "Great MOC, but too bad in my opinion that you used custom parts, because I'd prefer to see LEGO parts. Realize that you (Taz) and others may not have the same concerns, but I'm a purist. Maybe we could see more pics of the MOC in addition to the minifigs, to balance it out?", then no one would have cared. But I don't think that's Beery's style. And that's OK with me (within reason), because I know that, and filter out the tone when reading his posts. But others are more rankled by it, and I'd hate to see the mod-gods come down on him because of it.

In any case, I would like some more pictures of the entire build or large sections of it, in addition to the vignettes focused on the figs.

EDIT: Oooh! 500th post! I'm now a Knight! Will have to go check out what new superpowers this grants me! :laugh:

Edited by NiceMarmot

Hoho! Amazing!! Love it! The wall technique of yours is great and I have to try that out sometimes! The zombies are really funny and my favourite thing has to be that guard easing the pressure! :laugh:

Your wall technique looks great as always :classic: But what really stands out to me is the dark grey tower section and irregular base :thumbup:

Excellent work all around and I second the motion for more pictures of the building :wink:

Tazzie, this is stunning. :wub:

I love the integration of the old stone tower with the inn, and the stained glass effect is lovely. The stone work technique linking the inn to the tower works so well; this is a huge build and that joins the 'old' and 'new' superbly. Despite the size of the build, you've managed to fit in great details and humour, especially with the lovely custom heads. So much to look at...

Just great, Taz. :thumbup:

Lovely rugged stone base and the angles that the buildings sit on top of it with the chains to the tower :thumbup: you lose all perception of square bricks and that's what I love.

Brilliant work Taz, this has to be one of my favs of your creations! You really are putting that stacked plate technique to great use, and it's rough hewn look suits Nocturnus perfectly. :thumbup: The half-timbered upper story sits perfectly on the stone foundation, and the tower looks as though it is growing organically out of it. It might be my imagination too, but it looks as though the tower is leaning slightly to the left, accentuating the ramshackle nature of the buildings. Oh, and top notch work on the landscaping too... what a great free build! :classic:

Edited by gabe

Beautiful build again! The tower is beautiful in it's simplicity (1 color, just good use of slopes and arches and such) and I like the chains stretching to the building, and the re-inhabitation by it's previous owners. I too would like to see more close ups, but it's a gorgeous build, nonetheless!

And there's always a dearth of new builds after a challenge ends, so thanks for starting off the 4th Challenge Season so well!

Great build, love everything in it.

=legonardo=

Great job Taz, despite of the custom heads! :laugh: No serious I love it! Espescially the angles of all the buildings. And most of all the guard relief is a hilarious idea :tongue:

Really nice work! Glad to see your 1x2 plate technique combined with some classic medieval building styles. This almost looks more like a half-ruined Avalonian building than something in Nocturnus. Really nice roof technique on the stable. And nice rake on the black roofs; so simple, yet looks so good! Perhaps you could add a closeup of that?

Not sure how this is "cheating" since it's not for a contest or competition (except maybe the free-builds). As long as Taz calls out what he's done, I'm fine with it. Some people will dislike it and think it cheapens the build, others will go buy the custom piece, and most will just shrug. And as long as the free-build competition didn't exclude custom / non-TLG parts, I think it's OK. Even if it did exclude them, so what? Taz has still made a great MOC, and I'm sure he won't care if it's not considered in the free-build competition.

But then again, we're all just reacting to the tone of Beery's original post. If he had said "Great MOC, but too bad in my opinion that you used custom parts, because I'd prefer to see LEGO parts. Realize that you (Taz) and others may not have the same concerns, but I'm a purist. Maybe we could see more pics of the MOC in addition to the minifigs, to balance it out?", then no one would have cared. But I don't think that's Beery's style. And that's OK with me (within reason), because I know that, and filter out the tone when reading his posts. But others are more rankled by it, and I'd hate to see the mod-gods come down on him because of it.

In any case, I would like some more pictures of the entire build or large sections of it, in addition to the vignettes focused on the figs.

EDIT: Oooh! 500th post! I'm now a Knight! Will have to go check out what new superpowers this grants me! :laugh:

I'm actually really offended by your post. Did you forget that there is four guild's and we're all enemies? Do my build's intimidate you that much that your trying to get me banned for no reason? That's a good strategy fot the weak.

Blimey, what an amazing attention to detail. I must say Taz that when I saw your first few MOCs utilising this brick technique I wasn't too impressed because I thought, personally, that it took away from the whimsical air of Lego, and was a bit too realistic. Well, now I'm ashamed I even thought that, because it looks absolutely fantastic. I just love how natural and flowing the whole thing is, as one building merges into another and blends seamlessly with the landscape.

I most certainly think I've learnt a lesson in building today after seeing this, and await your next build excitedly.

-A.S.

(oh, and that Zombie must have been holding it in for quite some time! :laugh:)