Sign in to follow this  
blackdeathgr

Fishing and trade post at Zeus' island [OL - FB1]

Situated at the mouth of River of True Faith, just outside Astrapi settlement at Zeus' island and built on a bare rock, this fishing post provides most of the fish sold at the island and the waters around it.

Hugo d'Offren spent a day there to evaluate the fish drying process and buy food for the fleet.

(I wanted to try a build on a barren rock without greenery and i have yet to find a solid way of making flat builds that aren't somewhat boring. Any feedback given is appreciated)

26065131105_2fa3076152_c.jpg

25792342400_d0bde67671_c.jpg

25998842471_83cae1aafe_c.jpg

26039147566_9f635388eb_c.jpg

26066478905_9fde58903b_c.jpg

Thanks for watching!

Yeah! Good one, BD!

A necessary build well executed. And it fits the early development stage of Astrapi nicely thumbup.gif

To your question, I think if you use smaller plate sizes, but more instead, mixing the 50 shades of grey Lego provides, maybe SNOTing some rocks, you'll get more rock diversity.

But I'm a sucker at rockwork myself, surely you'll get more competent answers from others.

default_classic.gif

I like the look of this - very fitting for an early stage fishing post.

I think the beach and rockwork came out nicely, and I think you mostly avoided the big grey surface with the small rocks on top. I particularly like the activity going on with the loading of the boat, the drying of the fish, and the guy cating the net! pirate_satisfied.gif

Nice build BD. :thumbup:

It fits right into Astapi's first stages of settlement. :pir-classic:

Great work on the whole fishing scene, the net, the line for hanging the fish to dry, the action of all the people involved, the small pig, all works out great!

However as you have stated yourself the rocks leave some room for improvement. I'd suggest working with smaller plates, maybe put some brown instead of grey under the brushes and especially just have more alteration in the heights (cause that is what rocks are about, mainly), more up and down. The small patches of light grey with olive green on the rock are a great start already.

Really good build overall, I love the general atmosphere and feeling it gives.

Nice build! The fishing net with the 1x1 rounds around it gives a nice sense of action!

For the rock work, I'd suggest interspersing more tiles and wedge plates to give it a less regular feel... rocks are usually smooth, but at the same time very irregular.

Note especially the flatter (but still very irregular) rock on top:

23656028230_32828943cc_n.jpg

This is heavily interspersed with dark tan, of course, but is flatter than the other one:

24467767895_f2e989c692_n.jpg

This one uses wedge plates more than tiles:

9168655465_1650c14137_n.jpg

Obviously you wouldn't want craters, but here's some nice flat but not boring rockwork (well, at least, I think it's not boring pirate_laugh2.gif ).

21872172808_cc13663920_n.jpg

And this of course is black and not grey, but it shows how you can use curved slopes to good purpose too.

18796066473_82acf344c1_n.jpg

Hope that's somewhat helpful and doesn't just look like self-promotion. pirate_laugh_new.gif

Thanks everybody for your comments!

Kai NRG, (i think?) i was going for the second MOC you posted since i was going for a flat-flat rock. Faved the rest as well for future reference! TY!

Excellent job capturing the look of a barren rock. The transition from sand to rock is really nice, irregular in places with plenty of rocks strewn throughout the beach to make a convincing scene.

The dock and the various activity and minifigs really make the scene come to life. It looks just like an active fishing post with minimal structures, simple boats, and only a few basic necessities.

I just noticed the Chima crystal as splashing water and think that's a really clever touch.

Very suitable build for the early stages of the settlement! :classic:

Regarding your question, small plates are always great to increase the level of detail. I usually think that "all studs should have been considered" which means that large areas of "empty plate" will get some detailing or topology to break up that area. Typically I will avoid any area larger than 3x3-4x4 of "empty plate". Bare baseplate like your water is also a signal of lower level of detail imho, for example some more transparent pieces (like what you did around the net) does a lot to make the water more "alive".