Clone OPatra

Do you get catalogs and what do you do with them?

What do you do with them?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. I…

• keep them all organized.
    • keep them, but in an unorganized way.
    • look at them, then toss them.
    • don't get catalogs, who needs them?

I just got the American LEGO Fall Catalog, and while I was flipping through it, it got me thinking, does anybody else get and look at the catalogs?

I, of course, don't read the catalogs to find out about new sets anymore. On a place like Eurobricks, we've all known about any new sets for months (unless LEGO really wants to keep it a secret). I read them because it's fun to look at real, printed pictures of all the sets, and laugh at all the crazy mistakes LEGO makes in the catalog (check out the Plo Koon head with a Clone body for Ackbar in the inset pictures in the most recent one).

On top of that, I've kept all the catalogs I've received since 1998 organized by year to go back and peruse from time to time just for fun…

3896740537_490f77561d_o.jpg

So, does anybody else have these habits? Has anybody else kept there catalogs, and do they look at them?

I hope this could be an interesting discussion…

I keep 'em... put them in a storage box (unorganized... or did I pick the wrong option?).

I love catalogs. I always have the latest one on my bed shelf so i can look at those beautiful LEGO sets before i go to sleep :tongue:

When i get the newest one, i put the older one into a storage box where i keep all my LEGO catalogs as well as set instructions and other LEGO stuff.

laugh at all the crazy mistakes LEGO makes in the catalog (check out the Plo Koon head with a Clone body for Ackbar in the inset pictures in the most recent one).

I only have six catalogs. I love to see TLG screw ups. For example in the 2009 January(US) one on page 15 it says 5611 Public Works includes 4 minifigures! :pir-laugh: But it hasm a period instead of an exclamation point. Do we have an Lego Catalog errors topic? my huge collection of six are kept neatly.

When I was tidying up my attic, I found a catalogue from 1990. All the memories came rushing back.

Damn, those were the days...

Brick on!

Scorpion

I haven't the space for catalogues.

I look at it, then it is my little brother's turn, then my mother browses the City section and my other brother the Star Wars section. Then it makes its way to the recycling box.

Although I only recently got back in to LEGO collecting, I still have the catalogues and brochures and books I had in the early-to-late-1980s. It really takes me back looking through them again :wub:

I have almost every Australian catalog from 1980 onwards, the small set inserts included. It's interesting to note that even during my "Dark Ages" I kept grabbing the catalogs! :tongue:

They are all organized in order.

I keep all the catalogs in storage. I have most small catalogs (the type that were included with sets) from a variety of countries from 1986 onward, large S@H US catalogs from 1995 onward, and club (Mania) magazines from 1996-2001.

I skim through them every now and then. That's where most of my knowledge about obscure Lego facts has come from. :grin:

I have collected LEGO catalogs ever since I get got my first one, which was the January 2008 one. I have all of the catalogs from Fall 2008 to now (plus the January 2008 one), and I keep them in an accordion folder. I'll probably get a binder later to hold all of them when I get too many.

On every school day, I bring the latest LEGO catalog into the car to read while waiting for there to be 5 minutes before school starts (around 15 minutes of catalog reading time). :tongue:

Also, I always request for one or two more catalogs from LEGO S@H, so I can keep them mint. :grin:

Edited by ILikePi

Unfortunately, most of my LEGO catalogs from my childhood days are in extreme bad condition, while I recently came out of my dark age in 2005, that was a very slow reaction towards this hobby as I slowly rekindle my interest of LEGO once more, and around 2007, I began to collect LEGO catalogs once more. It's not very impressive unlike many of you, but I realy enjoyed browsing through and kept them in my folders for mere storage.

I took some spare copies and placed the current copy in my briefcase just for viewing pleasure and a few catalogs in my office, to take them out to view them during my breaks. I find them very nice to look at, and somehow it do encourages you to buy all of the featured sets to fix up the scenes that it is trying to illustrate. Love those System sets themes. :thumbup:

Yeah, I keep 'em. The oldest Shop at Home one is from 1995. The oldest catalog contained in a set is from 1989, when the Pirate line was released.

I don't know your exact term of 'organized' but I do have a pile of the current Shop at Home catalogs.

Wow, that's a funny topic!

I collect the catalog in my place and I already have the catalog from 1992 to 2009 second half.

I wonder if anyone would like to exchange his/her spare catalogs with others in the world.

So that more catalogs can be collected!