Dragonator

Heroica RPG 2nd Anniversary Building Contest - Rules and Discussion

heroica-buildingcontest.jpg

Welcome to the first ever Games Forum building contest, hosted in celebration of the 2 year anniversary of the Heroica RPG! Whether you're an old hand at the game or completely new to this part of Eurobricks, now is your chance to participate in the rich fantasy enviroment that is Heroica, create something unique, and be in with a chance to win some fantastic prizes!

The Concept

The heroic organisation of Heroica is located in the centre of a vast and diverse land. From the bustling city of Eubric Freeport, adventurers set out across the Crystalline Sea to navigate the lands of Oligaia on many a quest. Whether they explore into the fiesty draconic lands of the Dastan Empire, traverse into the lost kingdom of Ennon, take an airship over the harsh Abra Desert or stop to soak up the luxurious atmosphere of Salmanda. The land is populated by a plethora of unique creatures and monsters, as well as the many intelligent cultures with their own building styles and ways of life.

For more information about the setting of Heroica, do check out the Heroica Library.

The aim of this contest is to build a scene, building, location or other creation, that would fit into the rich fantasy setting of the Heroica RPG. There are no thematic limits; it could be a Mistlands stronghold under siege, a steampunk skyship navigating into port, a crumbling forgotten ruin of Ennon; anything is possible. Voting will focus on the creativity, ingenuity and compatibility of your entry with the Heroica world.

General Rules

• One entry per member.
  • Only official LEGO elements are permitted.
  • All entries must me made with physical bricks, not digitally rendered. Models must use conventional building techniques; no cutting, gluing, painting or other forms of modification are allowed, including custom decals. Cutting LEGO rope and hose etc is acceptable.
  • Maximum entry size is 32x32 studs with no structural overhang. Accessory overhang (minifig weapons, dragon tails etc) is permitted.
  • Entries cannot be a previous posted creations, they must be designed specifically for this contest.
  • Entries must be submitted to the Entry Thread with a short description and up to 3 deeplinked images no greater than 800x600 pixels in size. Links to larger version of the submitted images are permitted, but not to other images.
  • Minimal photo editing is permitted, but only to enhance the image; no editing of the creation is allowed.
  • Entries must not be submitted as a separate topic; only one post in the entry thread please.
  • Entries must be posted by 11:59pm UTC on Sunday September 8th. Voting will then occur in the week that follows.

Contest ends at 11:59pm UTC on Sunday September 8th.

• Entries posted after the deadline will be disqualified.
  • Entries that do not meet all the requirements by the deadline will be disqualified.
  • Whether an entry meets the requirements will be at the discretion of the contest host, but entrants will be notified if their entry does not meet the requirements.
  • All entries can be altered/changed as many times as each entrant wishes up until the contest deadline, within the single entry post.
  • Shortly after the contest closes, a voting topic will be made for the qualifying entries.

Prizes

We have some great prizes on offer, kindly donated by The Lego Group.

1st Place: Your choice of one of the two prizes listed below!

2nd place: The remaining prize not chosen by the 1st place winner!

Prize: 70404 King's Castle

b_70404_box_side_200.jpg

Prize: 79008 Pirate Ship Ambush

b_79008_box_side_200.jpg

Entry Thread

Entries may be submitted here.

If you have any questions or need clarifications, ask them here. Otherwise, good luck and get building!

If you wish to discuss the entries and talk about how awesome they are all looking, this is the place to do it.

Fleshies are Purist MF as well, I think :classic: They are just very uncommon on Olegia.

This does sound great although I'm not that knowledgeable on heroica- I'll have to do some research...

I just tried to make sense of the Heroica Library- I'm so confused!!! HELP

What exactly is confuing you about the library, Mutant Orc? :classic: I'd be happy to help, and even refer you to some great world-building quests.

I will enter for sure! Time to find some information and then go planning :grin:

Am I allowed to use names, buildings ect. from games? And do I need to tell a story about my work?

Am I allowed to use names, buildings ect. from games? And do I need to tell a story about my work?

Make sure you check with the creator of the character/item/location if you're going to use something that's already been developed.

I'm not very familiar with the world of Herorica, but this contest is a good excuse for getting to know the RPG a little better. Already got a fun idea for an entry, good luck to everyone who enters!

Awesome idea to celebrate the amazing building talent that we have here In our game community - good luck to all who enter! :sweet:

Hopefully this will also encourage the many likeminded individuals on Eurobricks to take the plunge in joining the Rpg.

EDIT: Woah, that was an interesting spelling mistake, courtesy of my phone.

Edited by Scorpiox

Is it Purely Purist Minifigures, or can I use Fleshies?

You may use any LEGO elements that you think would be appropriate for your model. As noted, the world of Heroica is open to a very wide range of themes and genres, there are no limits other than creativity!

A short description of how your creation fits into the Heroica world would be a good addition to your entry. Remember that you need to make your entry appeal to the public voters, who will want to know how it fits into the theme of this contest! The world of Heroica is a collaborative development so referring to names of places used previously should not be a problem.

Additionally, if anyone has any questions about any of the lands of Heroica, I'm sure that pretty much every player would be happy to point you in the right direction. :thumbup: Certain quests take place in certain lands, so while you don't have to read every quest (or even do more than skim the pictures of a quest in the land you're interested in) I'm sure people would be happy to tell you where to look for inspiration!

Awesome! :drool: But why oh why do I have to be away from my LEGO :cry_sad:

Additionally, if anyone has any questions about any of the lands of Heroica, I'm sure that pretty much every player would be happy to point you in the right direction. :thumbup: Certain quests take place in certain lands, so while you don't have to read every quest (or even do more than skim the pictures of a quest in the land you're interested in) I'm sure people would be happy to tell you where to look for inspiration!

Ok, I'm not a Heroica player (never signed in for the lack of time) but I was thinking about creating something for this competition. I was thinking about some underground caves with a lot of ancient architecture. Something like Diablo sewers missions. Any idea if such thing exists in Heroica and where to find out more about it?

Ok, I'm not a Heroica player (never signed in for the lack of time) but I was thinking about creating something for this competition. I was thinking about some underground caves with a lot of ancient architecture. Something like Diablo sewers missions. Any idea if such thing exists in Heroica and where to find out more about it?

I suggest reading recent quests hosted by Kintober. Those were exclusively featuring sewers and the mysteries down there. Or you could read a few of the ones hosted by Sany which feature the Wolfgang, as that is where they seem to hangout. :thumbup:

Though I have not played Diablo, so I can only refer to things that include sewers.

Sandy's Quest 44 is a good one for such setting, starting around post 611 it features the underground temple of the god of chaos, Zoot. Zepher's Quest 53 also takes place in the sewers and underground of Eubric Freeprort, starting around post 1411. If you look in the Heroica Index, quests are also identified by their author and story arc and as Capt.JohnPaul mentioned, any of the quests by Kintober or involving the Wolfgang tend to take place in the sewers.

I'll enter. I've been planing to build some air machines, but I'm not very home with Heroica, so I don't know, if "good guys" have them too. And also, what kind of minifigs should i put on? Knights?

I'll enter. I've been planing to build some air machines, but I'm not very home with Heroica, so I don't know, if "good guys" have them too. And also, what kind of minifigs should i put on? Knights?

The airships are a technology invented by the Ji Pei. (Which is a very Asian-like culture.) I suggest you read Sandy's current quest "Falling Stars" to see minifigs that would fit the Ji Pei. :classic:

Most factions in Heroica are considered neutral, each having their "good" moments and their "bad" moments, so no need to worry about it too much. Heroica is primarily high fantasy (i.e. Lord of the rings) inspired, but has a good mix of pirates, steam punk, and oriental influences as well. The Ji Pei, as Capt.JohnPaul mentioned, resemble eastern culture and have much more advanced technology than some of the other factions or peoples. Quests 50, 75, and the end of 15 all feature airships and the Ji Pei, however I'm sure there are piratical factions out there that also own airships.