Sign in to follow this  
Zepher

Heroica RPG - Quest #72: A Party

The four heroes meet outside the Hall, unsure exactly where to go. They are...

7173335030_b2b9e10fb7_z.jpg

Hybros *Party Leader*

Level 26 Assassin
*Hastened*
*Immune to
Cursed
Asleep
Blinded
Confused
Fragile
Weakened
*Immune to all elements*

Power:

Defense:

Health:
40/40

Gold:

Equipment:
Sword of Ancestral Hatred
(WP: 6, gains 1 WP every kill made with it,
light
- and
darkness
-elemental; longsword)
Golden Armor
(user is permanently hastened and cursed,
fire
water
earth
wind
wood
ice
lightning
darkness
light
-elemental, grants immunity to Sleep, Blindness, Confusion, Frailty, and Weakening; bodywear),
Blessed Amulet
(protects from cursed-effect; accessory),
Sticky Gloves
(Increases the amount of gold stolen by 50% (rounded up); handwear)

Inventory:
Zoot's Reaper (WP:15,
earth
-elemental; scythe),
Clock Cog (WP: 14, retrievable), Banana Bladerang (WP:9, damage all, retrievable), Eye-poking Sai (WP:8, blinded-effect, dagger), Twin Kunai (WP:6, dual strike, dagger),
Wrench (WP:3, decreases the target’s level by 1, retrievable)
, 14 Potions, 14 Grand Potions, 22 Health Cores, 12 Remedies, 2 Neutralizers, 2 Elixirs, 5 Phoenix Essences, Deadly Venom, 2 Smoke Bombs, 3 Lightning Bombs, 3 Holy Bombs, 15 Nostrums, 2 Meads, 5 Mulled Wines, Minimizing Dust, Bedroll, Shovel, Skeleton Decoy, Bone, Certificate for a Cloak of a Red Assassin (The next red assassin met is forced to give up his cloak)

ava-bartholomew_warden.png

Bartholomew Docken
, Dragonslayer

Level 31.5 Warden
*Gains Triple XP* *Takes Halved Damage from Free Hits*
*Scary*
*Counterstriking*
*Immune to Defense Reduction,
Confusion
Blindness
Badly Poisoned
, and
Fragile

Power:

Defense:

Health:
60/60

Gold:

GP:

Equipment:
Darksteel Crossbow (WP: 10;
Blinded
-effect), Mythril Shield (SP: 20), Dread Hat (permanent
Scary
-effect; immune to Defense Reduction,
Confusion
Blindness
Badly Poisoned
, and
Fragile
; Headwear), Mail of the Renegade Commander (SP: 3; Damage of all Free Hits is halved; Bodywear), Medal of Glory (Mark of true talent that allows the wearer to gain triple experience from battles; Accessory), Counterstrike Gloves (After the wearer is struck by a Free Hit, he counters with strength equal to his Level; Handwear)

Inventory:
Cobweb Cowl (immune to Instant-KO; Backwear), Health Cores (3), Grand Potions (5), Remedies (5), Phoenix Incense, Phoenix Essences (2), Bones (7), Smoke Bombs (4), Teleportapple, Bedroll

5909627714_af21b5c29f_t.jpg

Nyx

Level 27 1/3 Battle Mage *Natural Respite* *Immune to Sealed effects* *Immune to Asleep and Fast Asleep effects*

Power:

Power Bonus
: 1

Defense:

Health:
38/38

Ether:
37/37

Gold:

Equipment:
Zee Standard (Staff, WP: 14 Ice and Darkness Elemental, Necromancers Raise Enemies with 2 extra levels)
, Robe of the Archmagi (SP:3, Max. Ether +5, protects from sealed-effect), High Heels (+1 Power), Sandman's Parasol (Immune to Asleep and Fast Asleep effects)

Inventory:
Book of a Thousand Creatures (WP:14, each roll has a 1/6 chance to summon a creature to aid the hero)
Explosive Staff – WP: 12 (Does 1/2 damage to all enemies on a successful hit (normal damage to targeted enemy) and 1/2 WP damage to self on a roll of 4 (disregarding SP/row)), Healing Staff (WP: 5), Shiny Helmet (+1 max health), Monkey Bar (all minions, pets, summons etc are Hastened), Ruby (Fire), Diamond (Light), Amethyst (Darkness), Topaz (Lightning), Sapphire (Wind), Emerald (Wood), Garnet (Earth), Aquamarine (Water) Opal (Ice), Scroll of Sleep, 2 Meads, 4 Deadly Venoms, 3 Cosmic Essences (Revives a knocked out ally with full health and ether and gives them the blessed-effect), Potion, 3 Tonics, 2 Grand Tonics, Ether Core, Fire Bomb, Smoke Bomb, 2 Chaotic Bombs (Causes 100 random elemental damage to all opponents), Bomb '
X2' (May be combined with a bomb to get it to ignore SP),
2 Bedrolls, 5 Bones

8408228263_04d2c16b16_t.jpg

Guts Holla

Level 26 1/3 Raider
*Immune to
Weakened
Fragile
Asleep
Confused
and
Blinded
**Immune to
Darkness,
Light
Water
Fire
Air
Earth
Wood
Lightning
and
Ice
Elemental Damage*

Power:
57 (37 for ranged attacks)

Power Bonus
: 2

Health:
39/39

Defense:

Gold:

Equipment:
Lifestealer
(WP: 29,
Ice
Darkness
, attacks restore 3 health, dagger),
Dancing Shoes
(Wearer dances well, in the turn after a miss is rolled, the wearer can act twice. +Immunity to
Asleep
Confused
Fragile
and
Blinded
, + Immunity to
Darkness
Light
Fire
Air
Earth
Wood
Lightning
and
Ice
Elemental Damage, footwear),
Pugilist's Gloves
(2+ Power, Immune to
Weakened
, handwear),
Crocodile Armour
(+4 Defense +Immunity to
Water
Magic, bodywear)

Inventory:
Stag Antlers (WP:10, Intimidation, halberd), Throwing Knife (WP: 9,
Light
, Retrievable),1x Ambrosia 13x Mead, 12x Smelling Salts, 12x Nostrum, 20x Grand Potion, 4x Health Core, 1x Elixir, 1x Grand Tonic, 12x Remedy, 3x Phoenix Essence, 5x Smoke Bomb, 4x Deadly Venom, 3x Neutralizer, Shovel, Telescope, Magic Compass, Magnifying Glass, Pickaxe, Bedroll, 4x Mythril Shard, Metasimian Ale,
Opal
Scroll of
Weakening
, Grating Stone

They are greeted by a face familiar to all, who comes bustling down the street, bumping into a few people as he goes. Finally he stops in front of them, panting and out of breath, suitcase at the side. He greets them very officially.

DSCN0114.jpg

"Hello, heroes, I am here to direct you to Guffington Manor and to answer questions that you might have on the way to Guffington Manor, heroes." Then, in a less official voice, he leans forward as if to tell a secret. "I am very happy to see you again, Guts, Hybros, Docken, I am very happy to see you again. I am afraid that Guffington has gotten himself into too much trouble, again." He straightens himself up and continues in his all too commanding tone. "Well, you can talk and walk, can't you talk and walk? Let's set off. Wouldn't want to be late. Guffington is demanding that we arrive at precisely 7:55!"

OoC: BD, if you want to do a banner, I'd be very grateful.

Edited by Zepher

"Good to see you again, too, Master U'Ordiussum. How has Master Guffington been lately? He attended the Foundation Day event, I believe - I heard from other heroes that that did not go well."

OoC: Sure. Same style banner as Quest 39, or do you have something else in mind?

The raider simply nods as Guffington's servant greets them, then asks bluntly: "What sort of trouble?"

While walking, Guts immediately downs a Mead, Smelling Salts, and Nostrum, and applies Deadly Venom to his weapon. He also rummages through his pack for a bit, and eventually tosses a Nostrum to Docken, a Mead to Hybros, and takes out his Scroll of Weakening, another Mead, a Smelling Salts and another Nostrum that he holds out front of Nyx.

"You might find these useful."

"Ah, thank you, Master Holla. I rarely use these, as it's too easy for a Lucky Warden to get an Aura at the wrong time, which means I usually have to wait until the battle begins to see if I should use one. Good to have one just in case, though."

"Ah, thank you, Master Holla. I rarely use these, as it's too easy for a Lucky Warden to get an Aura at the wrong time, which means I usually have to wait until the battle begins to see if I should use one. Good to have one just in case, though."

The raider looked in front of him and gnashed his teeth, the warden was at it again. Lucky, Warden, Aura? What was this guy on about now? "...Right. Whatever works for you."

Nyx falls into stride with the others as they start walking, moving next to the U'Kin for a short while.

"Mr U'Ordiussum? I guess you already know I am Nyx by a process of elimination, but it's a pleasure to meet you. What do you do for the Great Guffington? I saw him at the Foundation day ball, but I didn't get chance to speak with him, but he sounds intriguing, which is partly why I'm here."

While walking, Guts immediately downs a Mead, Smelling Salts, and Nostrum, and applies Deadly Venom to his weapon. He also rummages through his pack for a bit, and eventually tosses a Nostrum to Docken, a Mead to Hybros, and takes out his Scroll of Weakening, another Mead, a Smelling Salts and another Nostrum that he holds out front of Nyx.

"You might find these useful."

Nyx takes the items from Guts, nodding and muttering "Thanks" at the raider, before stowing the scroll, and downing the Mead, Nostrum and Smelling Salts in one go each. "I might indeed."

"Good to see you again, too, Master U'Ordiussum. How has Master Guffington been lately? He attended the Foundation Day event, I believe - I heard from other heroes that that did not go well."

OoC: Sure. Same style banner as Quest 39, or do you have something else in mind?

DSCN0114.jpg

"We were both disappointed in it, yes, but for different reasons. Master Guffington is simply happy that no one died - though I fear he is now very taken with that songstress witch. I personally... I am afraid of her. And for the city. But I let others worry about that."

The raider simply nods as Guffington's servant greets them, then asks bluntly: "What sort of trouble?"

DSCN0114.jpg

"He won't tell me, exactly what sort of trouble he won't tell me. Master Guffington has never really had any fear of trouble. He has always referred to danger as 'adventure' is how he's always referred to danger. I do know that his old rival and friend Sir Hughes was found dead a month or two ago. Some people say that he was murdered. I think Guffington is among them who say that he was murdered." The U'Kin clearly stumbles over his words, and in his terror his accent, which usually is subdued, comes back in full force.

Nyx falls into stride with the others as they start walking, moving next to the U'Kin for a short while.

"Mr U'Ordiussum? I guess you already know I am Nyx by a process of elimination, but it's a pleasure to meet you. What do you do for the Great Guffington? I saw him at the Foundation day ball, but I didn't get chance to speak with him, but he sounds intriguing, which is partly why I'm here."

DSCN0114.jpg

"Yes, we both saw you there, I believe. I think that Master Guffington remembers you. He rarely forgets a face. As for my duties for Master Guffington, I essentially run his household entirely is my basic duty for Master Guffington. Though he is quite rich, he does not own a large estate, as he is the only member of his family. He, Daneeka and I live there, usually with a guest or two. It is not too much work, generally."

"I think the events of the Foundation Day Ball is why he is having this party. He has invited many people we have only seen a few times, all from the surrounding areas. Very few of the Houses in Eubric are coming... it is a very specific group. I can't figure out how he selected them."

"We were both disappointed in it, yes, but for different reasons. Master Guffington is simply happy that no one died - though I fear he is now very taken with that songstress witch. I personally... I am afraid of her. And for the city. But I let others worry about that."

"Oh, right, the bog witch Baba. I encountered her on one of my earlier quests, when I was still a Ranger. Master Thothwick was on that quest with me as well as at the Foundation Day ball, and he told me of her appearance. As far as we can tell, there is no limit to her power -- I believe you are wise to fear her."

Hybros walked with the other heroes and U'Or. He tipped his hat to the old acquaintance. "It is good to see you again. Hopefully old Guffington has not gotten into too much trouble, hehehe."

Seeing Nyx and Guts swallowing drinks, Hybros did the same, uncorking a Nostrum and taking a sip. He caught Guts' mead as he did so. "I am not usually one to drink these human beverages, but as Docken said, better to be prepared, heh."

He turned back to U'Or. "How is Daneeka, by the way? Do you know if he still has ties to the Ji Pei?"

DSCN0114.jpg

"The Doctor is good. His work has consumed him lately. He always has more than one project going on, but whatever he is working on, it has consumed him. All of his projects have been, according to him, 'fast tracked'. I do not think that the Ji Pei have called him in to consult as of late, and if they have, he has declined the offer, as he is too busy if they called him."

The heroes hear some argument up ahead. They round the corner to find two members of the town watch bickering.

GuardA.jpg

"But its ridiculous!"

GuardB.jpg

"Look, I agree, what with all the dangerous things that have been happening in Eubric recently, but these orders come directly from Serevan, who got his orders directly from Patricia. Apparently wealth affords you a little luxury in this city."

GuardA.jpg

"We can't just allow people to walk all over us all the time."

Andrew snarls as he spots the heroes.

GuardA.jpg

"What are you lot looking at? Where are you going?"

Hybros nodded as he listened to U'Or. He had hoped Daneeka could put in a good word for him with the Ji Pei, but alas. He spoke to the guards. "Where we go is none of your concern. Is there something that you need assistance with?"

GuardB.jpg

"No, we'll be on our way. Have a pleasant day."

GuardA.jpg

"That damn Gerald Guffington is having a party. After the events of Founder's Day, you'd think that they'd allow us in, but Guffington somehow has finagled a way to host a party with only private security. More damn heroes from that damned Hall. You can tell Severan is fuming, but Patricia says the Guffington is a friend of the Watch... hey, wait a minute." Andrew stares at Nyx. "I know you! You were there when that band of looters attacked that Hinckwell shop way back on Grogmas."

GuardB.jpg

"Let them be on their way, Andrew."

Edited by Zepher

Hybros looked to Nyx, then to Docken and Guts. "Why must the Town Watch be involved in every gathering? As far as I know, you act as the police in this city, not the personal guards to the highest bidder (at least, that is how it should be...). Or not, as the situation you two find yourselves in reveals."

The raider sighs: "Just step aside. Think of it this way, if you're not allowed in, at least they can't blame you if anything goes wrong."

Edited by Scubacarrot

I use Diplomacy.

"Gentlemen, if I may interject an opinion, while I'm sure it is much appreciated that you are so dedicated to the safety of the citizens of Eubric, this is a large city full of many thieves and other criminals, and it would be hard to patrol all of it at once. Better for the Town Watch to respond to alerts while dispatching a few patrols randomly, to avoid spreading yourselves too thinly. I'm sure that your captain is in a better position to assess this than either you or I am, and I imagine that it would be best to trust her judgment.

"Now then, is there anything we can help you with?"

GuardB.jpg

"Thank you. That is exactly what I've been trying to tell Andrew. Though I hardly think this qualifies us as working for the highest bidder, Imp. We're being paid to keep out, not to come in."

GuardA.jpg

"Which is ridiculous. The man is putting himself into danger for no reason."

DSCN0114.jpg

"I'm afraid he's right," U'Or whispers to anyone who will hear.

GuardB.jpg

"You may be on your way, heroes. But please, if you need help, come to us. We are here to serve."

The Watchmen continue on their way, Andrew baring his teeth at Nyx, and Andrew giving a polite nod. The heroes look up and realize they are outside the Theatre.

DSCN0114.jpg

"I guess we better be on our way, I guess."

DSCN0114.jpg

"Of course. There are a great many important people coming to this party. Lord Guffington casts a wider net than just Eubric, so you may find yourself out of your element as Lord Guffington casts a wider net than just Eubric." This is the U'Kin's moment to shine. His eyes gloss over slightly as he recalls all of his master's contacts and friends. "From this grand city comes Henry Hinckwell, brother to Henreich. He is in charge of a great deal of the Hinckwell affairs over-seas, doing most of the actual traveling for the family. He is the father of the missing Roderick Hinckwell, who was last seen in service to your great hall. Also there is Samuel Shawe, younger brother of Issac Shawe of the House Shadeuax. He crates and delivers most weapons for the family. I believe he accompanied Umbra on her most recent trip to Dastan. I hope to visit some day. Madame Ladybug is well known in the city, I believe. She has never attended one of my Master's parties before. I can't imagine why he invited her." U'Or's face goes slightly red, but he continues.

"Also from Uland is Lord Chauncey. He is a affluent member of the Bric'Lin community, as far as I know. He and Lord Guffington have visited once or twice before, but have long been in contact. Their correspondence has increased the beginning of this year."

"Lady Felix hails from Kalma but is a world traveller, and has been our guest numerous times in the past. Lord and Lady Marsh are merchants from the city of Gull on Leland. Lord Marsh has stayed with us numerous times before though it is the Lady's first visit. Both they and Lady Felix have been here for a couple of days."

"Doctor Everstein is... questionable. I cannot understand his past at all. He bills himself only as a problem solver, and has told me things about myself that I have not told him first. I do not trust him, but it may just be my race. Rito and U'Kin have had a long history, and Wereravens are the nearest thing to the Rito outside of Dastan."

"I see... Should be an interesting event. What exactly is our role in all this? Are we purely there for security? And is it your master or you that requested us to come?"

"Hmm, I had heard of Master Isaac Shawe, infamous as he is within Heroica, but I was not aware he had a brother. Similarly for Masters Heinrich and Henry Hinckwell. Madame Ladybug is fairly well-known, yes -- U'kin leader in the Guild of Invision, if I remember correctly. And I believe Lord Chauncey pitched a quest recently, so I'd heard of him as well. The others are names which I am unfamiliar with. Has Lord Guffington thrown a private party for like this before?"

OoC: 2pid Timezones :tongue:

Andrew stares at Nyx. "I know you! You were there when that band of looters attacked that Hinckwell shop way back on Grogmas."

Nyx looks directly at Andrew, eyebrows raised at the outburst.

"No, Andrew, I was not. I had other matters to attend to at Grogmas, and I was not at the Hinckwell store." her voice remains even, but she can feel her annoyance rising "Some detective you are." she mutters under her breath.

The Watchmen continue on their way, Andrew baring his teeth at Nyx, and Andrew giving a polite nod. The heroes look up and realize they are outside the Theatre.

Nyx cannot let this pass, the continued antagonism further fuelling the fires of ire. Her face is fierce as she wheels round back to Andrew.

"Andrew, I have served the Watch many times, and I even recently received the title "Hero who is actually worth something" from your Captain Patricia, a woman I have met many times in my services to the Watch and to this city. Do you really wish to keep being so rude to me, or shall I take your name and rank and report you to your Captain for wasting time here when you should be protecting the citizens of Eubric? Just exactly how far do you want to push this?"

GuardA.jpg

"It's Guffington's funeral," he mutters as he passes by. "Everyone treats the Founder's Day batch like they were some heroes, but they didn't stay to clean up their own mess. I was one of the four who carried that Moon Elf out. Damn things are near dead, its just another one."

DSCN0114.jpg

"He invited you, not I, Master Guts, though I'm more than happy that you'll be there. Master Guffington hosts parties like this all the time. I can think of two other times when members of Heroica came. Once there was a strange pale creature with what appeared to be ink blotches on her face, and before that, a young Hestia Bonaparte with another young lad who died in the line of duty. I believe Master Guffington likes to cultivate the image of opening his doors to the world. Though I do not know if you are only here for pleasantries. There is something afoot, of this I am sure that there is something afoot."

"Huh. I read about such 'creatures with ink blotches on their faces' in the Library. I believe there was an Acerpusculum in the same party as Sir Roderick and Lady Wren..."

"Huh. I read about such 'creatures with ink blotches on their faces' in the Library. I believe there was an Acerpusculum in the same party as Sir Roderick and Lady Wren..."

Nyx nods along to the discussion, thinking back to the early days of Heroica, those she could remember, and those that she'd only heard about.

"We had an Acerpusculum with us when we faced Wren and Zoot. Triad her name was, and she was a fierce fighter, brave and strong. She died valiantly despite an almost suicidal effort from Atramor to save her." a wistful expression passes over her face, which soon brightens again "My impression was that the Acerpusculum are not to be trifled with. Mr U'Or, have you ever visited Dastan? It is a glorious land and I met many of your kinsmen there. I also met many of the Rito, who impressed me just as much. I was of the opinion that the U'kin and Rito now lived in peace and unity in Dastan, yet you speak warily of them?

I'm excited about meeting these new people, they sound fascinating. Only Mme Ladybug have I met before, or at least I saw her at the Foundation Day ball. Oh, I do so love a good party, even if there might be a little danger!" and she grins widely.

"Possibly even more so if there's a little danger" she thinks to herself.

DSCN0114.jpg

"Ah yes, an Acerpusculum, I had forgotten the name. And I apologize, Lady Nyx. The Rito and U'Kin have had trouble in the past, to the best of my knowledge, they are indeed currently at peace."

The heroes come to stand outside the wall that surrounds Guffington Manor. The heroes glance up at the tall estate behind the wall. Not too big, but certainly not small. The U'Kin sniffs the air. In the courtyard, they can already hear the sounds of some quests gathering.

IMG_1081_zps5c09ef4b.jpg

DSCN0114.jpg

"Well, heroes, by my count its only 7:57. Master Guffington asked me specifically to allow you in the gates at 8 on the nose. He has recently had a clock tower built that chimes daily on the hour. I don't know why he put it there, but its driving the neighbors crazy. Either way, we'll know when we are to enter. Are there any final questions for me?"

Edited by Zepher