Sign in to follow this  
Quailane

My first ship

thindexedgif.gif 39c

This is my first ship I have built. Basically it is a modified Imperial Flagship. It has one more hull section, one more cannon, a lengthened bowsprit, and two three piece masts. I think the tall sails and thin hull really turn out a beautifully sleek ship.

I had found my old Legos when I had been doing some cleaning. The pirates were by far my favorite Legos. I found the instructions online and built my favorite, the Imperial Flagship. I couldn't bear to tear it apart for pieces, so I decided to improve upon it. I wanted to make a very fast ship. I tried to pack on as much sail as I could on the small hull with two center sections. I know it is very lightly armed, but its speed is its greatest attribute. My plans are to add one more center section, add a rear facing cannon, one more cannon on the gun deck, cover the gun deck, add a cabin in the rear, and figure out some way to add more sails. All I can think of is a lateen on a small tertiary mast. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

I am terribly sorry for poor pictures. Also, pretend that is has two triangular sails above the bowsprit. 8-|

shipcollageld3.jpg

I would like to hear what anyone has to say about it, thanks!

No need to apologise, we don't all have a thousand bricks and pieces for our MOC's. It's easy to do fantastic models when one has all the items but personally I like to see what can be done with the base models and very few extra pieces because to me they become 'Everyman MOC's', anyone can make them and enjoy them. It shows originality not at the gunpoint of expense.

Welcome to the forum anyway, so where is New Sweden?

I like this ship a lot!

It's better than anythin' I have ever built.

Thanks for the comments. Yes, one of those center hull, one of those masts, the shorter mast piece on the bowsprit, and three of the four long rigging pieces came from that Ebay auction I won.

This is all I could find on New Sweden: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Sweden I live to the west of what was once Fort Christina. There isn't much left there except for a Church and graveyard. We also have a replica ship of the one that the first Swedish settlers came in: http://www.kalmarnyckel.org/ It was probably the only time in my life I will have ever seen a wooden sailing ship being built. I still can't believe how small it looks in person though.

Here is another attempt at a photograph of the ship:

shipud6.jpg

It was only last week I had a thread going here to discuss colonies and settlements of the smaller European nations as we tend to focus on the big 5 - England/Great Britain, France, Holland, Spain and Portugal.

I'll have to remember this New Sweden, though from the history you've offered it was overtaken by the Dutch who were overtaken by the British. Also seem to remember making a statement about a New Stockholm in one of the threads... how coincidental. Will have to see if I can make some Swedish flags for you if you are intending on making uniquely Swedish models.

Edited by Col. Whipstick

Welcome to EB! A bit late I know....

I like your ship, it looks nice with the extra hull piece and cannons, but perhaps a figurehead would add to it a bit more. *y*

Nice improvement in sailage of the imperial flagship *y*

Just a quick question, what's your username on imageshack? :-$

This way i can find your folder and add this ship to Index of MOC ships.

TinyPiesRUs uses imageshack and that's how i find his folder X-D

Thanx,

P

shipcollageld3.jpg

I notice this MOC has menagerie of sails... Some official LEGO sails and others custom... So I'm wondering why all the sails weren't custom for consistency sake?

I notice this MOC has menagerie of sails... Some official LEGO sails and others custom... So I'm wondering why all the sails weren't custom for consistency sake?

Ah, well that is easy. I made those sails a long time ago for a pirate MOC of old. Back then I had only one tall mast and one medium mast, so those plus two jibs were all I made. That fabric I used was perfect for the sails. It is actually very very thin black rubber sandwiched between two very thin pieces of cloth. One side is smooth and the other is textured. I wish I could find some more of it to make sails with, but I was just using what was on hand.

Edited by Quailane

I wasn't able to find your pic folder in imageshack 8-|

so i put the pics you posted right into our back up of the indexes X-D

So now this fine ship is in the Index of MOC Ships. *y*

P

I wasn't able to find your pic folder in imageshack 8-|

so i put the pics you posted right into our back up of the indexes X-D

So now this fine ship is in the Index of MOC Ships. *y*

P

Cool, thanks. Sorry, I didn't read your previous post. I don't have an imageshack folder. I just uploaded the pictures directly.

Cool, thanks. Sorry, I didn't read your previous post. I don't have an imageshack folder. I just uploaded the pictures directly.

No problem mate :-)

Are their any other pics to add to the photobucket folder? *sweet*

P