yanathin

How do you display your modular building collection?

With the modular building collection getting as large as it is, how / where are you guys displaying them? I have my town separated onto two bookshelves in my living room, each with 4 sets. It works for now (barely) but when the next one comes out I have no idea what I'm going to do. I was also thinking about enclosing them in a glass display so they don't get so dang dusty, but again it comes down to a space issue. I'd love to see pictures of where you keep yours!

I've always wanted to see someone's display with many of the sets joined together but have never been able to find pictures. If possible, can you upload a picture of your display?

I have a six foot plastic table that fits against my bedroom wall. It's one of the thin ones that is only like 18" wide so it works perfect for the modulars. Although sits now full and I've got the Parisian Resturant on the way!

I have my modulars, the OOBs and MOCs displayed in my bedroom and in the living room. There's no way they'd all fit on the shelves in one room, so I stopped trying that. Ideally, I'd like to see them on a long shelf on a wall with few gaps with a road between corner buildings.

Mine sits on the top of a 4-wide, 2-tall IKEA Expedit shelf in my living room. I'm a few modulars behind but I have a PR on the way. I've yet to figure out where the heck that's going to go!

IMG_4401-1.jpg

IKEA Expedit 2X4 shelves for me too. I have two, both sitting on their sides so the long side is facing up, and mine are full (but that includes a few modular MOCs and a duplicate Grand Emporium.)

Expedit 4 x 4, I have cats and little kids so I need a little extra altitude

11742806906_4daa9dd606.jpg

Edited by sin

I lost my sports / LEGO room to my unborn daughter (i.e. the nursery) so I have temporary taken over my walk-in closet with some of my collectibles. Here is a picture of my modulars. I still have a second Grand Emporium to add (and customize) and the Parisian Restaurant to add yet. I am also going to add a park in the corner. So, pictured so far is...

1 Cafe Corner

1 Green Grocer

1 Fire Brigade

2 1/2 Pet Shops

1 Grand Emporium

2 Palace Cinemas

1 Town Hall

1 Haunted House (obviously not a modular)

1 MOC: Stone Bridge

By the way, I apologize for the panoramic shot, but that was the only way to take it right now because of the close quarters in the closet.

11744366426_086403a994_c.jpg

image by illinoisbum, on Flickr

Mine are on the top of an Expedit 5x5 along with all 5 series of cmf & the mmv. My superhero minifigs also inhabit my modulars

D

These look awesome! It looks like IKEA Expedit shelves are pretty popular for this. I use them, too. Here are two photos of my separated town.

post-17793-0-19660000-1388853740_thumb.jpg

post-17793-0-68566500-1388853750_thumb.jpg

I also use an Ikea shelf. In this case, it's a wall shelf rather than a bookshelf.

My kids play with these sets, but we keep them on the wall when they aren't in use so they don't get totally destroyed.

modulars2.jpg

I guess great minds think alike. Mine are also on IKEA Expedit shelves.

Edited by eliza

Funny as I do like most of you. My modular buildings are on top of an Ikea Expedit Shelf. However, I am running out of space, I had to remove one half of market street so the Parisian restaurant could fit it.

11757217073_d34f9fd9fb.jpg

Modular Layout by Kinggregus, on Flickr

These look awesome! It looks like IKEA Expedit shelves are pretty popular for this. I use them, too. Here are two photos of my separated town.

You did some quick building.... Parisian Restaurant already complete.....mine is still in the box in front of me... i'm actually too tired to open it up en start building.....looks great!

No photo, but I have two 1metre shelves up next to each other in the back bedroom. They can fit 9 modulars on, so with me never likely to own CC or MS, that means it'll be 2017 before I need more space. Even then I have enough room to add another shelf next to it, so in theory it could be 2021 before I really have to think what I'm going to do...

post-15886-0-95163800-1388867889_thumb.jpg

This is mine - 10 altogether including 2 custom ones - medium lavender GG as a bakery, and 2nd PS changed into a toy shop. Only got room for 2 more at the moment, 1 of which is the PR on its way as of now, and I need to develop an anti-dust plan.

My plan is to incorporate all Lego colours, past and present, into my modular street somehow. Managed to get around 40 colours not used in regular modulars into my bakery and toy shop. Got 42 colours to go! Have the pieces but anyone's guess how I can get a metallic green bionicle arm to not look out of place...

Would like to display them in such a way that you can see the backs of them too, since that does them justice - can look a bit flat all in a line.

Dust build-up on sets / MOCs on display is one thing I really try to avoid. So modulars in our house get stored / displayed in an IKEA Billy bookcase with doors, alongside a select few other sets / MOCs. Granted, those Billy doors do cover up quite a bit right in the middle, but I'm OK with that, as long as I can keep (some of) the dust away from the LEGO.

As you can see on the picture below, I use a "regular" IKEA Billy bookcase for most modulars, and a short IKEA Billy for trains, etc. The Billy's depth is spot-on for a 32x32 baseplate and in terms of length, you can almost fit in three of them, albeit a tad squeezed.

The attached photo was taken a couple of months ago (as you can tell by the Autumn theme we had got going on then), so there have been a few changes and additions since then. We've now also attached doors to the 'short' IKEA Billy bookshelf, since dust was starting to become a bit of a problem for the Frigate - unfortunately, no see-through doors are available for this kind of Billy bookshelf, so we had to go for solid white ones.

11760736404_74b7dd6179_c.jpg

Like Robiwan, I keep my modulars in my town (city/modulars/trains), but am beginning to run out of space (Parisian Restaurant is the last one I have room for). Considering buying one of those Expedit shelves for the modulars, and keeping my town more classic-style Lego City, but seems a shame!

@MetroiD that Ikea Billy bookcase looks a very good idea! Dust is my perennial bugbear as well, so that would work well.

GregD - Do you have any more pictures of the GG Bakery you built? That sounds interesting.

I want to build an ice cream shop thanks to the LEGO Movie Ice Cream set, but I hadn't thought about just changing colors on an existing set. That is crazy enough it just might work :wink:

As for my Modulars, they are just on regular bookshelves that were built in when we bought the house. The sit on there in our guest room and then in my LEGO room in the basement. They look great next to each other so I'm sure I will have a different layout when we renovate the LEGO room.

Edited by TheLegoDr

@MetroiD that Ikea Billy bookcase looks a very good idea! Dust is my perennial bugbear as well, so that would work well.

Glad to be able to help. The Billy does keep dust off the LEGO, however it's obviously not perfect for displaying purposes. Even without the nasty effect of the doors cutting things in half, the arrangement it provides is still not too spectacular, even with full shelves.

That said, I prefer neatness in this case, so once the high Billy becomes insufficient, I'll definitely get another one. Hopefully not too soon though, since that's all the LEGO display space available at home.