Sign in to follow this  
dede_la_fee

[MOC] Modular town house

indexed.gif B-RM-07B

I've wanted to build a modular town house to fit in with The Pet shop ones, but a bit smaller to allow for the balcony of Market street. Here's the result, Let me know what you think. Even negative critics are welcome!

6920882771_7bdb549ae5.jpg

6920883433_bcf92c856e.jpg

6920882321_a89d062f03.jpg

6920883305_84c5b54a05.jpg

With my Market Street MOD:

6920882239_5369acab81.jpg

More pictures here

It's very nice, and it fits perfectly next to your tan Market Street. The interiors are well done, too, all in all a MOC to be proud of! The only thing that I'd definitely try to improve is the very narrow opening between the refrigerator and the kitchen chairs; it seems too tight for a space that everybody in the house passes through several times a day. I'd try to slim down the wall next to the staircase a bit, by using an inverted slope in the top row and make the rest of that wall one brick shorter. You'd probably have to move the portrait on the wall, but you could easily place that somewhere else instead.

That is fantastic. I love how you even have a functional garage built in and the way you built in the postbox is a great idea. The interiors a very well done as well. Very nice MOC.

Tiny quibble: IMO 6-wide cars are more in keeping with the scale of these buildings but I realize fitting that into the garage would be a bit tight.

Very nice! The size is very good, it goes well with your Market Street. I really like your interior, and the floor lamp is very clever.

Do you have photos of the interior of the bottom and top floors? Whoops, I just noticed the link to additional photos.

The detailing in the garage is good as well, and I like it that you put some detail on the back of the building too.

Tan Market street also very nice.

Using the Smart car was a good idea, it goes well with the scale.

Keep it up!

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

I think this is a sweet looking house that solves the problem of Market Street balcony very nicely. Being so much shorter, it's impressive that a garage is included in the first floor. The garage door are a nice and simple design, but add to the overall look of the house by matching with the front door. The most impressive are SNOTed windows. I like the shape of two vertical and one horizontal windows put together.

On the other hand, the interior is equally impressing. It's amazing how you sqeezed everything in. A purple couch, a kitchen table, a fridge and the stove. Also the bedroom with the table and cabinet is equally nice. Most of all, it's an impressive little build with everything the 'usual-sized' modulars have. You managed really well in creating an impressive building with a height limit. :thumbup:

Very nice!

Would you mind sharing how you made the 'horizontal' window work?

I've wanted to build a modular town house to fit in with The Pet shop ones, but a bit smaller to allow for the balcony of Market street. Here's the result, Let me know what you think. Even negative critics are welcome!

Putting a garage in a modular is a really clever idea and works well with this. The interiors might be a little tight, but I can say from experience that not all apartments are spacious.

Very nice modular Dede!!!

It's not extravagant, but hey, a modular street needs recidential housing to look great! Your garage-door brings a nice new element into the modular scenario, and the colour match between door and garage pulls it home :wink:

Overall a very harmonic MOC

PS: You were one of my favourites in the vinter-village contest. Great job there!

Edited by MadManMingo

I love how compact this is. Nice detailing on the exterior—I like the subtle alternation of red and brown tiles, and the wider windows—and especially admire how much you packed into the interior. The workbench in the garage is great!

WOW!

Your house is great!

I am new to the forum and to building this type of models is there a way you can share with me your LDD file or blueprints to try and build your house for my set?

Thanks!

:blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: ... X 10∞!

Thank you all for the compliments.

The only thing that I'd definitely try to improve is the very narrow opening between the refrigerator and the kitchen chairs; it seems too tight for a space that everybody in the house passes through several times a day. I'd try to slim down the wall next to the staircase a bit, by using an inverted slope in the top row and make the rest of that wall one brick shorter. You'd probably have to move the portrait on the wall, but you could easily place that somewhere else instead.

That's what my man said when I showed him the house. Once I'm done with my Cafe corner MOD, I'll fix this little problem.

Tiny quibble: IMO 6-wide cars are more in keeping with the scale of these buildings but I realize fitting that into the garage would be a bit tight.

I have larger cars, but this was one of those which fitted the best. I'm keeping the smaller cars, like the Smarts, for the town houses, while the bigger cars are going to the suburbian residences.

Would you mind sharing how you made the 'horizontal' window work?

I'm going to use this design for my bookstore as well, so I'll take a few more photos as I build, and not just of the finished work, if you want.

I am new to the forum

Welcome, then!

is there a way you can share with me your LDD file or blueprints to try and build your house for my set?

Thanks!

I didn't use any of them, just had my pet shop notice close by for the stairs' design, and a few mental pictures of the houses of my hometown for inspiration. But watch out for my next creations, I will try and take pictures of the building process.

It's not extravagant, but hey, a modular street needs recidential housing to look great! Your garage-door brings a nice new element into the modular scenario, and the colour match between door and garage pulls it home :wink:

That was my point exactly when I was planning this one (and more to come, but later, money and room to expose are getting tight)

PS: You were one of my favourites in the vinter-village contest. Great job there!

Thank you for that. I still can't believe I made it the 3rd place :blush:. I can't wait to meet my job counselor, and tell her that I finally found something I'm good at: building with Lego!

To bad that you dont have something to help me build your house, I like it a lot!

Hope to see your next creations and building process photos to try and build one for my self!

Thanks and keep up the good work!

Aaagh... too... much... cuteness...!!! :tongue:

Such a quaint lil house, I'd so love to actually live there... Very stylish exterior and the interior is quite lovely as well - you've really put a lot of your heart into this, haven't you :sweet:

This is very nice. I think the Lego should release a Modular Buildings house.

I agree I think this should be the new direction for LEGO maybe they should have them set up just like this on a 16x32 plate just like the pet shop. I think this would make them more affordable too. They could have them be 2-3 stories high and sell them for $50-$80.

An excellent MOC. And actually quite inspiring - it's simple and polished, and I'm about to embark on my own MOC of this type, I can only dream of getting this close first time.

Welcome aboard and great house. If you make a second building you can enter the Modular Madness contest. I particularly like subtle details like the alternating red/dark red tiles (I'm assuming) that top each floor. My current project has something like that.

To bad that you dont have something to help me build your house, I like it a lot!

Reverse engineering his design will make you a better builder than copying his instructions.

Edited by gotoAndLego

Welcome aboard and great house. If you make a second building you can enter the Modular Madness contest.

...but you'd need to make it 32x32 studs - or 2x 16x32... :)

...but you'd need to make it 32x32 studs - or 2x 16x32... :)

My understanding is that you can submit two different 16x32 buildings or one 32x32 building.