Sign in to follow this  
Capn Frank

Pirates! (gaming)

Hey,

I was wondering if there are any rules out there for lego pirates.

I do know of Evil Stevie's Pirate game and have been there quit a bit.

Though, I am wondering if there are any other rules or games that others have made for having ship to ship combat. Or maybe even just mini-fig to mini-fig combat rules.

My brother and I are looking to have all our vessels go against each other and see who the better captain is.

Arrrrrr! *pirate*

Thanx,

Phred

Edit:

List of Pirate RPG Threads:

Pyrates the Game

My Fleet is Complete

Evil Stevie's Pirate Game

Big minifig illusion scale ships and ESPG

Nice Pirate website for Reference:

http://www.thepiratesrealm.com/pirate%20ship.html

Well. There's always Brickwars.

If I had some pirates I'd make a game for it myself, but pirates aren't easy to come by these days (guess I don't have to tell you that).

Good luck with your search...

Well. There's always Brickwars.

If I had some pirates I'd make a game for it myself, but pirates aren't easy to come by these days (guess I don't have to tell you that).

Good luck with your search...

Exo-Champ,

Is this the Brickwars website you were referring to?

I'll have to check it out. Thanx.

I don't have to worry about getting pirate sets that much, because i've still got all mine from when i was a kid.

Phred

Exo-Champ,

Is this the Brickwars website you were referring to?

I'll have to check it out. Thanx.

Yeps that's the one..

My brother and I are looking to have all our vessels go against each other and see who the better captain is.

Arrrrrr! *pirate*

Is that Xebec against la Dame du Loup?? Who would win? :-/ :-P

On the Brik Wars site there is a link to a lego pirate game site under Wooden Ships and Plastic Men. I dunno whether it is a dead link, as seeing I've never tried it.

Yeps that's the one..

Thanx, I found a different pirate game through that website that looks more developed than Stevie's.

I think i found what i'm looking for there too.

Is that Xebec against la Dame du Loup?? Who would win? :-/ :-P

Mr. Tiber,

Well technically the Xebec is mine since it's made with my bricks. X-D

I've got the Xebec, my Junk, ,armada Flag ship, la Dame du Loup, a vikiing long boat. My brother has about 10-11 Lego Pirate Ships ranging in size from the CrossBoneClipper ( :-| :-X *wacko* :'-( *n* *n* *n* ) to the BSB.

On the Brik Wars site there is a link to a lego pirate game site under Wooden Ships and Plastic Men. I dunno whether it is a dead link, as seeing I've never tried it.

I think i found that one. Though I got side tracked while looking at it and never saved where the websie is. Though i'm sure i can find it again.

Why don't we make our own pirate game??

I already have a rule: Minimum distance when using normal LEGO cannons is three studs.

Why don't we make our own pirate game??

I already have a rule: Minimum distance when using normal LEGO cannons is three studs.

I just took a quick look at the Evil Stevie's Pirate game (because I never did and didn't know how it worked).

It seems the players have to be in the same physical location. Is this always needed for these games?

I just took a quick look at the Evil Stevie's Pirate game (because I never did and didn't know how it worked).

It seems the players have to be in the same physical location. Is this always needed for these games?

I geuss it is a bit difficult to do this online...

I also read the maximum broadside is 5 guns in the rules of ESPG, is this true? If it is, I'm not interested in the game...

I geuss it is a bit difficult to do this online...

I also read the maximum broadside is 5 guns in the rules of ESPG, is this true? If it is, I'm not interested in the game...

I don't like that rule either. I would say forget about that rule concerning the much larger MOCs.

Here's another lego pirate game i found.

It's called Dread Stephen's LEGO

I don't like that rule either. I would say forget about that rule concerning the much larger MOCs.

Look at this ship, not so small but only 4 cannons broadside!

AABDSD.jpg

AABDSD.jpg

well 5 if you count a swivel chaser on the bow. X-D

Most of the MF's don't even have head gear too. Definetly made for gaming and not for display.

Edit:

To start off, I think the mass of the ship w/o cannon and crew should be the hit points or hull factor.

Reason being is that if a MOC is made with more bricks per length than others, it should have a higher hull factor.

I think having 3 studs between cannon is fine :-| .

Phred

AABDSD.jpg

Oh dear, so ugly. The side is white, only 4 guns/side, but 4 masts (probably because of some rule in the game).

I will shoot this ugly MF into pieces in no time.

Oh dear, so ugly. The side is white, only 4 guns/side, but 4 masts (probably because of some rule in the game).

I will shoot this ugly MF into pieces in no time.

MF means Minifig, and this is obviously a ship. :-P

MF means Minifig, and this is obviously a ship. :-P

How can I make such a mistake :-$

Thanks for correcting me *y* :-D :-D :-D

Here's another lego pirate game i found.

It's called Dread Stephen's LEGO

My brother and I came up with the idea of using Microsoft Excel speadsheets for the aiding of role playing.

It'll definetely be a lot easier when the spread sheets do all the math automatically.

I've already figured out how to have dice on the spreadsheet:

=RAND()*(6-1)+1 is a six sided dice. Then set the cells to 0 decimal places, and you've got yourself an excel dice. :-)

So instead of purchasing lots of 1D6 dice and wierd dice (1D4 to 1D20), I just have to type a little bit of a different # and i have all the dice i need. *pirate*

Hopefully when i'm done with the spread sheet, all you have to do is type in (numerically) what you want to do and everything is done automatically. How many troops you lost, how far you sailed, if your ship sinks etc.

This should make it really easy for others to roleplay too.

Does anybody know how to post a spreadsheet in excel format so that others may download the spreadsheet and use it or critique it? Or a website i can upload it to to be availible to download?

Thanx,

P

Hmm, well if anyone's all ears, then I have a gaming format free for the taking. (Which I borrowed from another game that I no longer play regularly.)

To me it's always easier and more logical to turn a "gaming area" into a grid. It's the foundation of many games after all. (literally! ;-)) The rules would be something like this:

Each ship sits on a single grid (In this case micro-ships and whatnot are the best solution. If you want to be stubborn you could make GIGANTIC squares. :-P ). The objective of the ships are to either sink each other or board each other. The only way to board another vessel is to grapple it of course, so the ships will only be able to do this when they're on aligned squares and one of the members has released the grapple. The ships can only travel horizontally or vertically, NOT diagonally.

There are three "sail tokens"--> "Right", "Left", and "Forward" or "Up". At this point I'm not exactly sure how the players would decide how many tokens they should each have during a "turn". I guess it could be calculated on a ratio of men to sails. Ideally each ship would be sufficiently manned, and every loss after that would slow the production rate of these "sail tokens".

Then there are the cannons: Like the above ratio of men to sails, there should also be an established ratio of men to cannons. The less men you have, the longer it takes to load cannons. How long it takes to load a cannon is up to you, I suppose.

The next part requires an hourglass or a timer of some sort: During an interval of thirty seconds or so(whatever you prefer) each player decides what "sail tokens" he wants to use, aka what direction the ship will go. These should be in a vertical sequence like so:

A

B

C

D

If you want to release a grapple or fire your cannons then dot the left or right side of the specific "token piece" for when you want to enable that move. And to clarify, these moves will be based on their sequence. If "up" is first move on the vertical sequence, then that's the first move you make. Four to eight moves (anything within reason) will then be acted out on the grid. Both players should move their ship in sync with the other to avoid confusion. (In other words, both ships move, then stop, then move, etc.)

I've never actually tried playing this with LEGO ships, but then again my house isn't spacious enough for such an event. I might have overlooked something, in which case feel free to call me out on it.

Hmm, well if anyone's all ears, then I have a gaming format free for the taking. (Which I borrowed from another game that I no longer play regularly.)

To me it's always easier and more logical to turn a "gaming area" into a grid. It's the foundation of many games after all. (literally! ;-)) The rules would be something like this:

Each ship sits on a single grid (In this case micro-ships and whatnot are the best solution. If you want to be stubborn you could make GIGANTIC squares. :-P ). The objective of the ships are to either sink each other or board each other. The only way to board another vessel is to grapple it of course, so the ships will only be able to do this when they're on aligned squares and one of the members has released the grapple. The ships can only travel horizontally or vertically, NOT diagonally.

There are three "sail tokens"--> "Right", "Left", and "Forward" or "Up". At this point I'm not exactly sure how the players would decide how many tokens they should each have during a "turn". I guess it could be calculated on a ratio of men to sails. Ideally each ship would be sufficiently manned, and every loss after that would slow the production rate of these "sail tokens".

Then there are the cannons: Like the above ratio of men to sails, there should also be an established ratio of men to cannons. The less men you have, the longer it takes to load cannons. How long it takes to load a cannon is up to you, I suppose.

The next part requires an hourglass or a timer of some sort: During an interval of thirty seconds or so(whatever you prefer) each player decides what "sail tokens" he wants to use, aka what direction the ship will go. These should be in a vertical sequence like so:

A

B

C

D

If you want to release a grapple or fire your cannons then dot the left or right side of the specific "token piece" for when you want to enable that move. And to clarify, these moves will be based on their sequence. If "up" is first move on the vertical sequence, then that's the first move you make. Four to eight moves (anything within reason) will then be acted out on the grid. Both players should move their ship in sync with the other to avoid confusion. (In other words, both ships move, then stop, then move, etc.)

I've never actually tried playing this with LEGO ships, but then again my house isn't spacious enough for such an event. I might have overlooked something, in which case feel free to call me out on it.

hey berry,

do you have more exhaustive rules to go by or the original word doc? Feel free to email or pm me a copy *y*

I was thinking of having grids set up with lots of masking tape or something on the floor. but i like seeing other ideas to use what i like and think is realistic. ;-)

Thanx,

P

hey berry,

do you have more exhaustive rules to go by or the original word doc? Feel free to email or pm me a copy *y*

Uh, like I said, it's taken from another game. An online game to be precise, so some creativity may be needed to make the "game" work. X-D The actual game is called puzzle pirates. The earlier form of the game was largely dominated by adults, but since then has opened up to the teens and tweens. The adults mostly reside on the "subscription" servers (or oceans as they're referred to) and the oldest ocean is midnight, my personal favorite. ;-) Here's a LINK to the main page and a LINK to the "y!ppedia", which contains all of the game's information.

Sea Battle

Here's an idea of what I was talking about (there's another picture in the above link, too):

Sb_panel.png

I was thinking of having grids set up with lots of masking tape or something on the floor. but i like seeing other ideas to use what i like and think is realistic. ;-)

Heh, heh, you must have a LOT of space if you can do that!

Heh, heh, you must have a LOT of space if you can do that!

Thanx for the link Berry Syedow *y* I'll have to get it setup when i get home this afternoon

Well some room at my brothers, but more than enough for miniature versions of our ship ;-)

I started to make some attributes for men for when me bro and I wargame. Here is a rough start.

Islanders +3 throw spear for others 1d8 only 8 hits +10 yds for others max 10yds

Indian +3 throw hatchet for others 1d8 only 8 hits +10 yds for others max 10yds

Cavalry +2 with pistol

Samurai/ninja 6 attacks per turn with sword +3 attack, move+2 studs for others 2 attack per turn w/ sword

Marines +3 attack with rifle 1 per turn +1 other weapons others one shot in 2 turns

Admiral +1 attack with sword +2 with guns and double attacks per turn

Officers and soldiers +1 attack

Boys can

I figured out a rough formula to know what the top speed of a ship is in prime conditions in knots.

It's not perfect, but it's the best i've figured out so far. :-)

To get this formula i used the attributes of real ships to figure it out on excel graphs.

Ok...

It's kind of rough right now.

But the ships i've figured out so far is that

the Armada flag ship has a top speed of 9.2 knots

the Emporer's Ship has a top speed of 4.3 knots

my Junk finishedjunkstarboard.jpg_thumb.jpg has a top speed of 13.6 knots

**Edit:

my Xebec xebecbow.jpg_thumb.jpg has a top speed of 22 knots

and my Dame du Loup has a top speed of 17.6 knots.**

The formula is partially a multiplication of the length to beam ratio and the sail area to dispersement ratio.

The real ships used were the:

HMS Victory

USS Constitution

Flying Cloud

HMS Surprise

some ship called the "Albert Leo Schlageter"

and the USS United States.

I'll probably post the exact formula when i've simplified it to a formula that already figures in differences in scale and converting to and from english and metric.

P

Edit:

Hey Duke, you forgot to mention that one turn is roughly equivelent to 30 seconds in real-life.

Well i got a formula that i'm going to use for figuring how fast a Lego Sailing ship is.

Instead of using a linear formula I'm using an inverse tangent function where a ship has to be very very efficiently built to have a top speed of 20 knots or more.

Here's the formula:

(atan[(L/B)*((SA)/(M))*0.3024562649])*16=(speed)

atan is the inverse tangent in radians (atan is what needs to be typed to work in Excel).

L is the length of the ship in length (not including the bowsprit).

B is the beam or width of the lego ship (not including fancy details on the sides).

(doesn't matter what unit is used to measure length and beam, but they must be measured in the same units like studs, cm, in, etc.)

SA is the sail area of the ship in cm squared.

M is the mass of the lego ship in grams.

(any questions pm me or post on here :-) )

Here are the speeds (in knots) of the official released sets done so far:

(if not in bold, then i don't have exact numbers yet)

Row Boat w/ sail: 18.2 knots

Row Boat w/ 2 sails: 20.2 knots

Imper. Trad. Cutter: 14.9 knots

Emporer's Ship: 6.5 knots

Crossbone Clipper: 6.5 knots

Imperial Flagship: 16.2 knots

Armada Flagship: 11.5 knots

Carribean Clipper: 11.1 knots

Viking Long Boat: 16.6 knots

Black Seas Barracuda: 12.5 knots

Here are the speeds of my MOCs:

Chinese Junk: 14.6 knots

HMS Charlie: 12.6 knots

Xebec: 20.7 knots

Dame du Loupe: 17.0 knots

Will be editing more finalized details later.

P

Sign in to follow this