Sign in to follow this  
JDL1967

paying tax and import duties on Bricklink buy. Is that normal?

I have placed an order in the US, and i must pay €.21,- on tax and import duties. The invoive had an amount of €.51,- is that normal? I live in the Netherlands. I have buy on Bricklink before in the US, but i had never have to pay tax or import duties. Who can tell me what the reason is for the payment. I would like to no.

Van de belastingdienst:

Ontvangt u goederen uit het buitenland van particulieren, bijvoorbeeld van een familielid of vriend(in)? Is de waarde niet meer dan € 45? Dan betaalt u geen belastingen voor het invoeren van de goederen. Is de waarde meer dan € 45, maar niet meer dan € 700? Dan betaalt u 2,5% van de waarde van de goederen en btw (0 of 6 of 21%). Voor alcoholische dranken betaalt u accijns. Is de waarde meer dan € 700? Dan gelden de standaardtarieven voor invoerrechten. Goed om te weten: uw post of koeriersbedrijf zorgt voor inklaring bij de Nederlandse Douane. U betaalt aan hen de kosten voor het doen van aangiften en de belastingen bij invoer.

€51 +shipping costs = .... + 21% (VAT) + 2,5% (import duties) + administration costs = around €21

Van de belastingdienst:

Ontvangt u goederen uit het buitenland van particulieren, bijvoorbeeld van een familielid of vriend(in)? Is de waarde niet meer dan € 45? Dan betaalt u geen belastingen voor het invoeren van de goederen. Is de waarde meer dan € 45, maar niet meer dan € 700? Dan betaalt u 2,5% van de waarde van de goederen en btw (0 of 6 of 21%). Voor alcoholische dranken betaalt u accijns. Is de waarde meer dan € 700? Dan gelden de standaardtarieven voor invoerrechten. Goed om te weten: uw post of koeriersbedrijf zorgt voor inklaring bij de Nederlandse Douane. U betaalt aan hen de kosten voor het doen van aangiften en de belastingen bij invoer.

€51 +shipping costs = .... + 21% (VAT) + 2,5% (import duties) + administration costs = around €21

Ain't it a basic value of netiquette to try and stick to the forum's language? The OP asked the question in English and many of us would be interested to get the answers... in the same language. :wink:

Ain't it a basic value of netiquette to try and stick to the forum's language? The OP asked the question in English and many of us would be interested to get the answers... in the same language. :wink:

Translated....

If you receive goods from abroad by individuals, for example a family member or friend (s) ? If the value does not exceed € 45 ? You pay no taxes on the import of the goods. If the value is more than € 45 but not more than € 700 ? You pay 2.5 % of the value of goods and VAT ( 0 or 6 or 21 %). Alcoholic beverages pay excise duty. If the value is more than € 700 ? Then apply the standard rates for import duties. Good to know : your post or courier company provides clearance at the Dutch Customs. You pay them the cost of making declarations and import taxes.

Edited by Captain Britain

Ok, no more buying in the US for me. But it is the way. Even when you buy 2e hand goods for your hobby, you must pay tax and import duties. Its a shame..

Thank you for the explanation..

I think it depends on the amount you paid for. As an example, here in Lithuania, there is certain threshold for imported goods. And you are not not being taxed if you didn't reach it. When imported good costs more than that you would be taxed in full. This is the reason, why buyers ask sellers to state parcel as a "Gift" or state reduced amount of money.

Might be similar in NL.

It is normal, yes, but different countries have different rules and enforcement leniency. There is a threshold for imported goods, usually around €20 (including shipping) for goods received by post. The threshold may be higher for goods imported physically (eg. taken with you on a plane)

If you exceed this value;

1. You are charged VAT in whatever percentage your country has

2. Import tax which depends on the type of goods. Eg. toys may be subject to higher tax than electronics, usually clothes and jewelry have the highest percentage, and electronics are exempt.

3. Additional import fees / administration. usually a set amount regardless of value or type of goods.

If you used a courier service like DHL they might charge you their own fees for processing "import services" for you, on which you then pay all those taxes as well. Their service isn't optional which is why I avoid DHL and UPS like the plague.

Having the invoice say it's a gift doesn't really work, or I haven't noticed it to have any effect where I live, and giving the wrong amount or forging the invoice is more likely to get you into trouble than out of it because they check. (maybe they wouldn't find their way around bricklink though)

Edited by Sven F

Depending on the country making a false declaration of goods and value on the custom forms could get the seller in trouble. They could lose their export priviledges, face fines or jail time. Most will put in their splash page or store terms page that they won't make false declarations.