mrfang2

what makes a modular?

okay, im designing my first modular building, a comic shop/arcade with a classic space theme to it. HOWEVER, having never had the money for a modular, i have NO IDEA what it is that makes them have that feeling of quality and all of that. like, i have the proportions down, and the fact that it should be able to split into 3 levels, each one shorter than the last, but other than that im pretty much lost.

in short, does anyone here who builds modulars have any tips or advice for a newbie?

First off it needs to be split up between levels so you can pull them apart which is accomplished by using 1xsomething tiles at the top of each level with 1-2 studs showing per side. Architectural detailing around windows, roof lines, and doors. The sidewalks use dark blay tiles with the white lamp posts. The first few modulars didn't have any interiors done but since the Green Grocer they have become known for not just the building but also the interior design. Also they connect to each other with technic pins at the bottom of the building in 2 spots on each side.

I will break up this post a bit with pictures of what I mean later once my iPhone recovers from death by child watching Netflix videos last night.

Edited by stevkir

1) It should fit on a 16x32 or 32x32 baseplate.

2) There should be technic connecting pins, two on each side, in a fixed position on all modulars to allow interconnection.

3) Aim to be architecturally realistic.

4) Pavement is 2x2 dark bley tiles, with a strip of 1x6 light bley on the road edge. Total depth of 7 studs at edges.

Beyond that, anything goes. Lego's modulars usually have 3 floors, but the fire station has 2. What stands the modulars out is the sheer use of building techniques, many many tiny pieces to create detail and their general feel of being architecurally detailed. Flat walls only happen on the sides and to a lesser extent the rear.

alright, thanks! ive fixed the positioning of the building and added the technic connectors. any advice on the actual design tho? the way i have it now feels too plain compared to the others. sorry i dont have pics, ill take some when i get back home (had to get dog food), but are there any like, consistent, signature design elements that you guys feel are important to the look of the series?

in short, does anyone here who builds modulars have any tips or advice for a newbie?

Several years ago I had the same question, I am sure that each of us interested in buildings has had the question at one time or another. When I asked I was directed to the "Modular Building Standard".

Here it is...

http://amodularlife.wordpress.com/2010/06/12/modular-standards-for-lego-city-buildings/

This should answer many questions.

Andy D

Several years ago I had the same question, I am sure that each of us interested in buildings has had the question at one time or another. When I asked I was directed to the "Modular Building Standard".

Here it is...

http://amodularlife....city-buildings/

This should answer many questions.

Andy D

SWEET! this is so helpful! thanks!

SWEET! this is so helpful! thanks!

You are most welcome.

Andy D

For a newbie I would suggest first looking at other moc that people have built or use Lego modular buildings as a reference. You should also start off with a straight building as corner buildings are a little more complex in terms of getting the angles for the front doors. As a rule for a beginner i would suggest on focusing on the front of the building only as its the side that is mostly visible. If you are making a three storey building i would do what Lego does, for example, making the third level a replica of the second level as in the Town Hall until you become more familiar with the modular design. Using that as a guide for your next building you can attempt different and more elaborate and intricate design techniques.

Shameless plug! Cause those are awesome.

I designed a modular building awhile ago on my flickr page, a process of what it took to make a modular building, lacking a floor plan but a shell itself, here's the link to: "The process part 2" https://www.flickr.c...02/12348325065/

You seem to be more mechanical/abstract in your designing style and from what you tend to build I am guessing you don't have many windows and other elements for architectural touches. I think you have a good start and should keep refining them. getting one of the current sets and building one will give you a lot of experience on how they look and feel. I would recommend getting the Pet Shop modular if you ever feel like picking one up as it is 2 16x32 base plate buildings and will give you 2 examples to build in one set.

Edited by stevkir

Its a continual learning process. Why not do up the building you have in mind (following the modular rules but of course do bear in mind these are not set in stone), post it up here for people to have a look and to offer suggestions for improvement? No one is going to design an amazing modular at the first go but each time you do it you will learn more and more. If you can't get your hands on the Lego ones you can try having a look at the instructions (you can download them directly from Lego) to see how Lego designers do it.

It looks like most things have already been covered. If you plan on buying any of the official modular sets to add to the ones of your own design, bear in mind that each lego modular has a white lampost. They all match when put together. The pieces are really easy to gather. They also typically use a couple of metallic grill plates for the street. If you want the sidewalks to look uniform, then this would be the way to go.

What about these standards:

1. The middle floor can be duplicated and stacked to create taller buildings.
    • A by-product of the above rule, the roof/top floor can be stacked directly to the first floor (midget buildings!).

[*]Each floor must be practically accessible by minifigures (stairs, elevators, etc).

You seem to be more mechanical/abstract in your designing style and from what you tend to build I am guessing you don't have many windows and other elements for architectural touches. I think you have a good start and should keep refining them. getting one of the current sets and building one will give you a lot of experience on how they look and feel. I would recommend getting the Pet Shop modular if you ever feel like picking one up as it is 2 16x32 base plate buildings and will give you 2 examples to build in one set.

Nah I have plenty of base plates, but I lack the skill involved in "decoration" the parts are there, the ability isn't As far as picking up a 150.00$ set, The boss has to approve of that. (my wife) I am lacking the 6 brick high windows and doors though, so that could be solved easily enough. The other Modulars I've built have steadily improved, the white one for instance has a full interior, though not the ability to seperate. Like I said, the pieces are there, the ability isn't. Alot of trial and error on my end. As well as looking at other modulars. I was just trying to throw out a "basic structure" guide so that people can go from there.