Sign in to follow this  
CMP

Hangover Island

Id love this MOC, if the pics werent so blurry! :pir-sceptic:

Same here. This MOC is a great idea, and from the pics, I can see there is some fun going on but with better pics I can confirm that! :pir-wink:

I agree, did you take pictures with a disposable camera and scan them in or something? It's REALLY blurry.

Also, I don't see much going on in the water. If you wanted, you could take just your island and enter it into the medium category, where the competition is less fierce, and you would have a better chance of winning...

I'll offer better advice when I can see more of the entry :pir-classic:

Quite frankly, I don't see anything :pir-sceptic: ... I've looked through the pictures a number of times and I didn't get a single thing of what's going on there, and I'm afraid that was not just because of the photographs.

Photography aside (try to sit still or placing the camera on something firm while taking those shots), I did read your backstory to this one and found it... OK. Pirates and soldiers getting drunk - we've had that a few times in this contest so far. That's why I'd suggest adding something to the story of this MOC, otherwise it just doesn't stand out. Now, the "skull-like formation" in your formation came out of nowhere and ended up playing no part either. Apart from supplying the guys with booze, that is - and that doesn't look like a lot of booze (or a lot of booty, mind you!). If you want to keep that "skull formation", why not add some part for it in this whole scene or at least make it a bit more prominent? Same applies to the booze... If it's hangover island, I'd expect them to be actually floating in rum :)

As to the construction - I can't really say I'm digging the island, or the "skull formation" rock. Unfortunately, to me they both look like they're coming out of nowhere - I'd really recommend working a bit on that island so that it starts to look more believable. The perfect rectangular form it has right now is more reminiscent of some kind of base floating on water rather than an island. That said, this could make a nice oil rig platform or any other kind of artificial structure, so you might consider having those sailors lost in time and surfacing on a modern structure - I don't think anyone's done that before for the contest. Just a suggestion... That way you could also avoid having an excuse for the skull, since it doesn't really look too believable either. It just stands there, but it doesn't really look like a rock.

As to the figs themselves - kudos for the conga line, that's a thing I really like about this MOC. It looks fun and is a nice idea, well done. Perhaps if you tilted the hat of the first soldier, he'd look a bit more drun... erm, I mean party-minded. As to that old man... that's a weird way to die. Because I can assure you, he looks quite dead or dying to me. Having had a barrel of rum land on his head, now that's death by alcohol! The "native" rat by his side adds a very unnerving necro-feeling, at least for me...

So to summarize... I think you've tried to use most of the "typical" pirate pieces you've had at your disposal here. While that's not a bad thing per se, I think that just combining it all is not always the best option. I would strongly suggest modifying your concept a bit - adding something or freshening it up - that way you will have a specific idea which to focus on, instead of just trying to include everyone and everything. Sorry for the rant and excuse me if I sounded too harsh - but I think you can do much better with this one and would love to see it actually develop.

The story is nice, but the pics are really too blurry indeed. Were they taken with a cellphone cam perhaps?

Maybe you can borrow a camera somewhere, else this probably will cost you votes...

The title to this thread got me excited as I'm old enough to drink and have had quite a few hangovers, but then I get in here and I can't see a thing. Please retake the pics so we can see them, from wehat I can see it looks like a party happened, or is happening :pir-sceptic:

When photographing, try to take 5 or more shots from same angle, and change angles and light sources, if possible.

Then, when you upload it to the comp, chose the best ones.

For the MOC, i cant see it well, neither.

From the first look, I do not like the perfectly blocky shape of the island!

This is a great entry, but it could use many improvements.

On the pictures, I agree with what previous comment-ers have said. You need to either get a better camera, or create a perfectly white paper / sheet background around the MOC, and then find a way to create "soft-light" with the lamps (Here is something for reference).

On the MOC itself, I agree with what previous comment-ers have said. You might want to add some transparent blue or white 1x1 slopes to the water (or anything else that could represent waves), some tan slopes / curves around the island base to make it look more natural, some greenery, and some gray 1x1 slopes to the island base (to represent rocks).

Edited by Bricknave

I would like to see what updates you've done to this since it seems that you took the pictures well over six years ago! :pir_laugh2: You'll undoubtedly get better feedback from everyone once there is some clarity. I've been able to drink for many years now, and while I may have donned the beer goggles, I don't think my vision has ever been so fuzzy(unless there is beer in my eyes).

You deffinately need to take some better pictures in order to be able to make a shot at one of the fabulous prizes. The island is too square and too flat for my taste. You do however have some very nice details in this MOC.