Sign in to follow this  
Legownz

0-4-0 Steam Switcher

Hello all!

I build mostly City style 6-wide trains. I have been building a lot of trains on LDD recently, and I just joined Eurobricks a couple of weeks ago. So I found this to be the opportune time to share my newest creation. A 0-4-0 Steam Switcher Engine.

For the models I've been designing on LDD, I have been using a color scheme of blue with a white stripe. It looks a little cartoony, but until I find a better combo, I'm going to stick with this one.

d8hALWL.png

I based it off the countless models of switcher that Lionel likes to do with their O Gauge trains.

G72101.jpg

A rear view of the switcher. It is worth noting that this probably isn't possible to build since I built it in LDD Advanced Edition. Therefore, I could put all the parts in any color I wanted, regardless of if they've even been made in that color. For example, the robot claws on the back of the tender have never actually been made in blue. So if I actually wanted to buy this model, I'd have to use a different color scheme.

iQTEYmn.png

What little interior i did. If I started building in 8-wide, I probably could get a full cab in, but I'm happy with my 6-wide trains for now.

rYCyFmK.png

Hopefully the formatting isn't too messed up, since this is only my second post. :pir-sceptic:

Here is a download link if anyone wants the LDD file.

NOTE: If anyone wants to redesign this model or make it better than it is, I'd love to see it!

Edited by Legownz

Looks pretty good! I also do a lot of building in LDD since I don't have the space yet. I mostly build 8-wide American steam engines. Fortunately they are mostly black and gray though I do like the colors of yours, it is definitely more interesting to look at. There used to be a great program called Brickficiency that was great at helping you figure out if you had parts in real colors...since the redesign of Bricklink, the developer of Brickficiency has since stopped supporting his software. I starting to use Brickshop but its nowhere near as simple to use. Anyway, it looks really good. If you were to build it, how would it be powered? I don't see an IR receiver or space for a battery box anywhere... If you follow the link in my signature, there are some cut-away views of some of my builds that might help with some ideas.

BTW welcome to the community!

Anyway, it looks really good. If you were to build it, how would it be powered? I don't see an IR receiver or space for a battery box anywhere... If you follow the link in my signature, there are some cut-away views of some of my builds that might help with some ideas.

BTW welcome to the community!

Thanks! I actually don't make space for power in any of my models since I don't have space to run them (yet). I find jeopardizing the look of an engine in order to cram PF into it just isn't worth it to me.

Thanks! I actually don't make space for power in any of my models since I don't have space to run them (yet).

I know what you mean about having space to run them! I have a loop of track set up on the ping-pong table at my parent's house. I've convinced them to keep it up till after my young nephew visits later in the summer so we can play with them together, then it all comes down and goes into storage. :cry_sad:

I find jeopardizing the look of an engine in order to cram PF into it just isn't worth it to me.

That totally makes sense! Maybe that's one of the reasons I build in 8-wide... I have definitely faced that challenge...how in all these bricks am I going to cram all this PF stuff in here!? It really can be annoying, that's for sure!