Sign in to follow this  
Seablue19

New Ship First MOC

[uPDATE #2]

I tore apart the ship AGAIN, this is the umpteenth time I have, but at this point I am all in all finally happy with it as a whole. Just need to tackle the string and sails, but I am ready for it.

7666294018_ebbacb375e.jpg

20120729_001142 by Seablue24, on Flickr

7666294666_44f5f5f74b.jpg

20120729_001128 by Seablue24, on Flickr

7666295168_10de529645.jpg

20120729_001117 by Seablue24, on Flickr

7666295942_0c55d90ab5.jpg

20120729_001053 by Seablue24, on Flickr

7666296786_e88862aba8.jpg

20120729_001028 by Seablue24, on Flickr

7666297228_1c6fe03787.jpg

20120729_001018 by Seablue24, on Flickr

7666299160_461d62028b.jpg

20120729_000933 by Seablue24, on Flickr

7666300216_437a79e9e9.jpg

20120729_000908 by Seablue24, on Flickr

Edited by Seablue19

The good thing is you've started with the bow, I consider that as the hardest part to build. Once that step has been taken, the rest is easy as a pie. Except for some stern aspects and the rigging. :pir-grin:

I would also consider the height of your ship, she looks rather high if you ask me. In the end it might turn out too narrow and too high. But I don't know how much realism you want to put in this project.

The colours look great already, and I'm curious about the final result. Keep it up! :thumbup:

Yeah I realized how high it was. I wanted to put the front part of the ship just a few bricks higher than the rest of the mid section and transition the edges up to it and add a few steps up to it, then build the mid section and have the back a little higher so that the ship didn't look completely flat on top. My goal was to have an angle but have 2 complete decks on the ship and a third deck for the back section. I didn't realize that putting doors on it would make the two decks higher than I originally though but I built the ship out from the bottom and plan to curve it back in when you get to the deck to give it a nice overal shape. Waiting for more parts to get in, but I really wanted to keep the origanl blue flags and I am trying to model it after the french ships like the Soleil Royal while keeping the heart of the Caribbean Clipper in it as well hence why I kept the black colors and white lining around the cannons. I might call it the Caribbean Avenger, haven't thought of a name yet, lol. Making it my own design so not copying real ships for the most part.

First moc, a two (gun) deck ship ? That's brave :pir_laugh2:

My experience with such ships (built on prefab hulls) is that you easely end up making a way too tall and narrow ship.

I can only suggest you limit the height of the decks to 4 bricks, that makes it difficult to use the standard door pieces though.

The first gun deck includes the bottom of the hull, the second gun deck won't have doors so I can keep it lower, and the balcony in the back will be split with both decks to fit the door from the ship to it. After that it's just adding in the third deck with the captains quarters.

Actually a trick I think I can do is just make the deck around 4 bricks and let the door go a little higher than that and just blend it into the side.

So I tore it down and redid the whole thing, had to in order to get things right. Took a frontal shot but now it is seeming like I might need to make my own custom flags, not sure how to go about it. The back part is going to be hard to do though cause it has a balcony but FINALLY got the front just above the brown hull to look the way I wanted it to look.

6936306764_095305c5e8.jpg

20120415_214331 by Seablue24, on Flickr

6936306252_e429170328.jpg

20120415_195017 by Seablue24, on Flickr

7082380471_f2c691172a.jpg

20120415_194806 by Seablue24, on Flickr

Never seen a door on the bow like that.

The floor of the deck looks awesome with the different shades of brown tile. I like the color scheme a lot!

Thanks! I actually plan to tear down some of it to fix a problem where I made the sections past the first mast too tall, lol.

i specialy like the fact this is your first ship , and then it turns out this good, i really like the color sceme, and you made it thathigh, its something i always have a problem with, nice job

I can see some interesting ideas, but the overall colorscheme and shape seem pretty messy to me. Maybe a look at some real ships might help you? Keep it up!

After spending a month looking at it and judging it over and over I went back to the drawing board, I am planning on tearing it down soon and removing all color from the hull and using brown pieces. The only issue I seem to have is finding a fair amount of brown parts in bricklink that match the old boat hulls, reddish brown is more popular, but I bought some original brown colored pieces and will try to use both in an interesting way with a more uniform scheme, I just am not fond of the white with the black and yellow.

My goal is to make the sides simple, and enhance the back and front, while also working on the inside design as well "which I didn't do."

It taught me a lot though, so now I can go back and finish this project the right way. The last thing is the sails. But I shall not even tempt to think of it, lol.

It looks really nice so far. The bow looks good, and it's good that you've gotten it out of the way early on.

That was extremely impressive for your first MOC. I have to admit, I haven't tried to tackle a ship yet. Great job!