Teazza

MOC: "Space Oddity" working roller coaster

Hello everybody, I'd like to show you my new big MOC, presented at the Italian ITlug fest last weekend, in Lecco.

It is a working roller coaster, build up using the "roller coaster factory" system. The roller coaster is called "Space Oddity" as a tribute to the great song, and it represent a bad-ending space travel, with initial ramp up to the faraway planets and the fast crash with two space shuttles crashed on foreing planets.

The entrance building represent the NASA Vehicle Assembly Building, the front wall can be easily take out to llok inside.

Hope you like:

roller_coaster_space_oddity_1.jpg

roller_coaster_space_oddity_2.jpg

roller_coaster_space_oddity_3.jpg

roller_coaster_space_oddity_5.jpg

roller_coaster_space_oddity_7.jpg

roller_coaster_space_oddity_8.jpg

Bye

Teazza

Really bummed I missed out on these sets and wish I could find one to buy somewhere! Nothing on ebay that I can find. Not sure if they are on Bricklink either!

Wow. That is simply amazing! The wrecked shuttles look great. The lettering and use of the planets in the sign (along with the little spacecraft & space station) are fantastic. Nice touch with Hotdog Guy (presumably) drumming up some refreshment business in the crowd. Also, is that a camera I see towards the top of the first drop to capture the minifigs' expressions for souvenir photos?

Just brilliant all-around! :blush::sweet:

The only constructive criticism I can muster on this is that it appears that the coaster itself doesn't have any body to it. I know that can be challenging with the coaster system's "cars," but are the minifigs just supposed to hang on tight? :laugh:

This would be a great theme for a real 'coaster. Has anyone ever seen anything like it!? THE ride for space lovers.

Great idea, greater build!

My other hobby is roller coasters... Been on over 1100, at over 400 amusement parks. Yes, there are quite a few space themed roller coasters, including a couple with crashed spacecraft and at least one with a full sized space shuttle replica. (Not crashed, that one is in launch pad stack configuration.)

incredible. love the crashed rocket. looks like its just hit and dug up the ground. [PS: big bowie fan here. this song is one of his best]

My other hobby is roller coasters... Been on over 1100, at over 400 amusement parks. Yes, there are quite a few space themed roller coasters, including a couple with crashed spacecraft and at least one with a full sized space shuttle replica. (Not crashed, that one is in launch pad stack configuration.)

That last one is that 'Venus' coaster located somewhere in Japan, right?

Anyway, awesome MOC!

Most Lego Coaster MOCs are 'just' the coaster, this is the first I've seen that has themeing and detailing all around. The second inversion on your MOC (if I'm seeing that correctly) looks a bit painful, though.

Would love to see video of it!

That last one is that 'Venus' coaster located somewhere in Japan, right?

Anyway, awesome MOC!

Most Lego Coaster MOCs are 'just' the coaster, this is the first I've seen that has themeing and detailing all around. The second inversion on your MOC (if I'm seeing that correctly) looks a bit painful, though.

Would love to see video of it!

Yup, Venus is at Space World near Hakata, and is probably my favorite coaster in Japan. All the rides there are space themed, even the water rides.

I'd love to know more about the LEGO coaster.

Yup, Venus is at Space World near Hakata, and is probably my favorite coaster in Japan. All the rides there are space themed, even the water rides.

I'd love to know more about the LEGO coaster.

Ok, 1100 coasters under your belt I have to ask, which park in he world is your favorite, and which coaster (or top 5 if you cant pic just 1) is/are your favorite/s?

Wow! So cool. Love the design of the coaster and how it twists through that awesome theme park. The crashed space ship looks great as well. I'd ride the Space Oddity.

Ok, 1100 coasters under your belt I have to ask, which park in he world is your favorite, and which coaster (or top 5 if you cant pic just 1) is/are your favorite/s?

OT, but...

Most amazing park I've been to is Tokyo DisneySea. I hear good stuff about Phantasialand in Germany, but I haven't made it there yet. My favorite steel coaster is Millenium Force at Cedar Point in Ohio, and my favorite wood coaster is Balder at Liseberg in Sweden.

So is this coaster system real LEGO, or a knockoff that works with it?

Excellent Moc!

Wow! Just out of interest have you ever built any of your favourites in Lego?

Thanks everybody for your comments!

The system of the track and train is from "roller coster factory" it has been a project in collaboration between CoasterDynamix and Lego. Unfortunatly they produced only 1000 sets and now it is very difficult to find one, me too I'm looking for a second but no chance up to now.

I'll post a video soon about it working.

The project is to go on with this diorama, adding other attraction like drop tower and carousel. Any suggestion about what to add?

Thanks again

Bye

Edited by Teazza

None have ever done such a thing, very good! Really beautiful in every detail!

See you soon my friend ;-)

Sandro

Coaster Dynamix? I had one of those from being a coaster enthusiast, but mine wasn't from the TLG collaboration, rather an earlier model.

Near as I can tell, it looks like only the train is different? Or can the supports connect to studs, too?

(I've never built a LEGO coaster, mostly because I haven't been out of the dark ages long.)

This is so great. Would love to see some detail shots "under the hood" to understand how it works in detail. :)