The Cutter Tresfroid

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic  – Started by Legeaux , Aug 28 2006 03:30 AM

#1 Legeaux

Legeaux

Member: 893

Posted 28 August 2006 - 03:30 AM

Posted Image

The Tresfroid is a cutter operating in the waters around Port Brique, a much more modern design than many of my other vessels.

Built on a one centre section narrow hull (from the Sealion), the Tresfroid's hull is widened using inverted slopes to achieve sufficient hull width. The hull is built with conventional studs up bricks, although the gallery (such as it is!) is angled.

The Tresfroid is much closer to scale than most of my vessels, and the cutter rig, with its raked mast is fairly close to early nineteenth century practice.

Sails are, as is my usual practice, parchment paper, although the size is pushing what can be made from an A4 sheet.

I'm quite happy with the result, although I think the mainmast/topmast join is far from ideal, and there are a few details which will no doubt be enhanced over time.

More pics:

http://www.brickshel...ships/tre01.jpg
http://www.brickshel...ships/tre02.jpg
http://www.brickshel...ships/tre03.jpg
http://www.brickshel...ships/tre04.jpg
http://www.brickshel...ships/tre05.jpg
http://www.brickshel...ships/tre06.jpg
http://www.brickshel...ships/tre07.jpg
http://www.brickshel...ships/tre08.jpg
http://www.brickshel...ships/tre00.jpg

(Edited to tidy image links - I couldn't get preview thumbnails working!)
Cheers

Richie Dulin
CO Legeaux

#2 Admiral Starwind

Admiral Starwind

Member: 886

Posted 28 August 2006 - 05:12 AM

interesting ship small but still interesting good show.

#3 ghoulrealm

ghoulrealm

Member: 825

Posted 28 August 2006 - 06:47 AM

That is excellent   *y*

It's not extra long, most people seem to like em big...  :-P to them
A fair amount of detail work, just over all nicely done!

#4 Berry Syedow

Berry Syedow
  • *Amen*

Member: 653

Posted 29 August 2006 - 11:19 AM

Nicely done.  The ship looks great from afar.  The inverted slopes are a simple, elegant solution for widening the hull.  Seeing the sheer height of the mast I can't help but think that my previous ship's mast is too short.  I'm struggling for perspective. :-/  The railing is a creative solution; though too unstable for my taste.  I like the white color scheme.  *y*  I haven't seen many ships that utilize the color.  Believe it or not I intended to make a "winter ship" covered in snow and all that jazz, but had to improvise because I lacked sufficient pieces.

If anyone knows of an educational site centering around sloops and cutters or just something general, feel free to toss out a link.

#5 SuvieD

SuvieD
  • The Sailing Monkey

Member: 272

Posted 29 August 2006 - 01:34 PM

A simple and fast looking ship.  No need for all the extra details or ornaments, it fits a purpose and is more realistic for it.  Nicely done.

#6 El Bucanero

El Bucanero
  • Kiwi addiction!

Member: 851

Posted 02 September 2006 - 07:35 PM

Looks good, simple but effective, I only don't like the sails, the parchment paper looks a bit strange too me...

#7 Mister Phes

Mister Phes
  • Uncle Sam edit!

Member: 273

Posted 03 September 2006 - 10:40 AM

Posted Image

What a sporty looking vessel this is!  Its kind of like the Imperial Guard equivalent of the Renegade Runner except I notice the mini-figures aren't Imperial Guards, although the flag is.  Is that because you didn't have enough Imperial Guard mini-figures to spare Mr Legeaux, or was this done inadvertently?

Posted Image

#8 Legeaux

Legeaux

Posted 04 September 2006 - 04:02 AM

View PostMister Phes, on Sep 3 2006, 10:40 AM, said:

What a sporty looking vessel this is!  Its kind of like the Imperial Guard equivalent of the Renegade Runner except I notice the mini-figures aren't Imperial Guards, although the flag is.  Is that because you didn't have enough Imperial Guard mini-figures to spare Mr Legeaux, or was this done inadvertently?

Historically, it was quite common to fly a 'misleading' flag. ;)

I haven't built a British/redcoat/Imperial Guard vessel for quite a while... perhaps it's time I did?
Cheers

Richie Dulin
CO Legeaux

#9 Legeaux

Legeaux

Posted 04 September 2006 - 04:12 AM

View PostMr Tiber, on Sep 2 2006, 07:35 PM, said:

Looks good, simple but effective, I only don't like the sails, the parchment paper looks a bit strange too me...

Too white? Too different from Lego sails?

A few of my older vessels use stiffened calico sails - do you think that looks better?
(They certainly can have a nicer shape, but they do tend to droop a bit after a while).

(Excuse the old camera)

Posted Image

(That's the original Misérable)

I have a few Lego sails that I'd be happy to sacrifice to make smaller sails, but I find I need larger ones.
Cheers

Richie Dulin
CO Legeaux

#10 Berry Syedow

Berry Syedow
  • *Amen*

Member: 653

Posted 06 September 2006 - 12:19 AM

View PostLegeaux, on Sep 3 2006, 09:12 PM, said:

A few of my older vessels use stiffened calico sails - do you think that looks better?
(They certainly can have a nicer shape, but they do tend to droop a bit after a while).
Woah, that ship deserves its own thread. *y*  The "stiffened calico sails" are more natural looking than the parchment paper, IMO.  Did you switch to parchment paper because the other material drooped too much?

#11 Mister Phes

Mister Phes
  • Uncle Sam edit!

Posted 06 September 2006 - 10:31 AM

View PostLegeaux, on Sep 4 2006, 02:02 PM, said:

Historically, it was quite common to fly a 'misleading' flag. ;)

Indeed it was, however this isn't usually reflected in LEGO so I never would have guessed that's what you were attempting to achieve in a million years.  Possibly even 2 million years.

View PostLegeaux, on Sep 4 2006, 02:02 PM, said:

I haven't built a British/redcoat/Imperial Guard vessel for quite a while... perhaps it's time I did?

YES IT IS!!!

Posted Image

#12 El Bucanero

El Bucanero
  • Kiwi addiction!

Posted 06 September 2006 - 05:21 PM

View PostLegeaux, on Sep 4 2006, 06:12 AM, said:

(Excuse the old camera)

Posted Image

I have a few Lego sails that I'd be happy to sacrifice to make smaller sails, but I find I need larger ones.

Too different form lego sails, about the Misérable: Iis she still standing? if so you should take new pictures of it..

#13 Legeaux

Legeaux

Posted 07 September 2006 - 04:28 AM

View PostMr Tiber, on Sep 6 2006, 05:21 PM, said:

(Excuse the old camera)

Posted Image

Too different form lego sails, about the Misérable: Iis she still standing? if so you should take new pictures of it..

I scuttled the original Mis, a 28 gun frigate, last year... details her - with more, but still fuzzy, pics - are at http://www.lugnet.co...85/rd/miserable .

I built a new Misérable, this time as a 32 gun frigate, and she was featured in Brick Journal issue 3. You can download the whole edition from http://www.lugnet.co...95/brickjournal .
Cheers

Richie Dulin
CO Legeaux

#14 Bonaparte

Bonaparte
  • Member of the stwnfbjs Club

Member: 822

Posted 07 September 2006 - 01:51 PM

View PostLegeaux, on Sep 7 2006, 04:28 AM, said:

View PostMr Tiber, on Sep 6 2006, 05:21 PM, said:

(Excuse the old camera)

Posted Image

I scuttled the original Mis, a 28 gun frigate, last year... details her - with more, but still fuzzy, pics - are at http://www.lugnet.co...85/rd/miserable .

I built a new Misérable, this time as a 32 gun frigate, and she was featured in Brick Journal issue 3. You can download the whole edition from http://www.lugnet.co...95/brickjournal .

The new Miserable looks really good. Is there any decoration inside the ship?
Cutting hull sections in 2 ....    well, why not  :-) .
Seeing your nice port and ships make me also want to start building ...
But I don't have so much space to build a city like yours.
Do you have an updated website with more pictures about you lego creations?

B.

Want to find out more about our Reviewers Academy? Just click the logo.

Posted Image

Got Questions? Need help? New member?
Please read the Members Guidelines and check the Tutorials Index

#15 El Bucanero

El Bucanero
  • Kiwi addiction!

Posted 08 September 2006 - 02:43 PM

That ship deserves an own thread in here, and you really should rename it, it isn't miserable at all ;-) I personally like the old bow better, but thats your choice
Maybe you could make a tutorial for cutting hulls in 2, it is quite interesting *pirate*

#16 Mister Phes

Mister Phes
  • Uncle Sam edit!

Posted 25 September 2006 - 04:47 AM

View PostLegeaux, on Sep 4 2006, 02:12 PM, said:

(Excuse the old camera)

Posted Image

View PostMr Tiber, on Sep 9 2006, 12:43 AM, said:

That ship deserves an own thread in here, and you really should rename it, it isn't miserable at all ;-) I personally like the old bow better, but thats your choice
Maybe you could make a tutorial for cutting hulls in 2, it is quite interesting *pirate*

It seems this Misérable has taken over this thread so definitely create a new one for it, now lets return to discussing The Cutter Trésfroid!

Posted Image

#17 El Bucanero

El Bucanero
  • Kiwi addiction!

Posted 26 September 2006 - 04:29 PM

Yes let's do that. I would like to know where the name origins from, Trés and froid means: very cold, but why would you call a ship: very cold?

#18 Legeaux

Legeaux

Posted 29 September 2006 - 02:49 PM

View PostMr Tiber, on Sep 26 2006, 04:29 PM, said:

Yes let's do that. I would like to know where the name origins from, Trés and froid means: very cold, but why would you call a ship: very cold?

Well, I think it looks very cool.
Cheers

Richie Dulin
CO Legeaux

#19 Mister Phes

Mister Phes
  • Uncle Sam edit!

Posted 29 September 2006 - 03:01 PM

Legeaux, I can't help but notice you haven't answered Mr Tiber's questions!  He's got me curious now so I wanna know to!  Tell us!  Tell us!  Ohhh tell us now!

Posted Image

#20 El Bucanero

El Bucanero
  • Kiwi addiction!

Posted 29 September 2006 - 03:19 PM

View PostLegeaux, on Sep 29 2006, 02:49 PM, said:

View PostMr Tiber, on Sep 26 2006, 04:29 PM, said:

Well, I think it looks very cool.
This seems like an answer to me ;-)

hehehe yes cool and cold is almost the same LOL, although I don't think the French would see froid as cool but okay, it is a very cool name ;-)

#21 Mister Phes

Mister Phes
  • Uncle Sam edit!

Posted 29 September 2006 - 03:24 PM

Ahhhhhhh...  I think I've just caught on.  I have a Froiden slip!  :-D

I just went into the Brickshelf Folder to find more pictures of the Trésfroid but it appears all the MOCs are in the one folder!  AAAAAAAARGH!!!  sub-folders would make it easier and more organised.

Posted Image

#22 Legeaux

Legeaux

Posted 30 September 2006 - 12:52 AM

View PostMister Phes, on Sep 29 2006, 03:24 PM, said:

Ahhhhhhh...  I think I've just caught on.  I have a Froiden slip!  :-D

LOL

I just went into the Brickshelf Folder to find more pictures of the Trésfroid but it appears all the MOCs are in the one folder!  AAAAAAAARGH!!!  sub-folders would make it easier and more organised.

Yes, the \tallships folder was set up as it is for historical reasons that are no longer relevant.

I shall make an effort to divide it into subfolders (or at least put new vessels in subfolders) for convenience in the future.

Incidentally, there is a list of links to all the pics in the first post in this thread... or the brickshelf names of the Trésfroid pics are fairly easy to deduce (ending in 00 to 09 iirc).
Cheers

Richie Dulin
CO Legeaux

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored Links