the_green_avenger

HMS Beagle

But if you seriously expect to get this done under $50, you're in for a rude shock...

I've got a lot of bricks, plus I'll borrow some from a friend if I have to.... (It's just the white plates that I'm really in need of, plus some tan plates)

:pir_yoda:

Edited by the_green_avenger

I thought that 1/30 th scale was minefig scale and not 1/40 th scale? I baced that on my minyfigs fite grate in models that scale.

I got bored, so I decided to mess around a bit with the masts, etc...

Here is a shot with the heights of all the different decks:

img_4465.gif

Here is an overall shot w/ all the masts, not including the main mast:

img_4464.gif

A shot of the foremast:

img_4466.gif

If these shots aren't convincing enough that the ship is minifig scale, then I don't know what is...

If these shots aren't convincing enough that the ship is minifig scale, then I don't know what is...

Yes it is :pir-classic: But keep in mind that the hold for example is much higher than the orlop deck.

Since it's still just a keel I suppose that won't be a problem.

And I also like the fact that you're making the masts consist of 2 or 3 parts.

Anyway, Good luck with this ship!

Yes it is :pir-classic: But keep in mind that the hold for example is much higher than the orlop deck.

Since it's still just a keel I suppose that won't be a problem.

If you look in the sketch of the ship, they are about the same height (which I happily provided in the first post) :pir-classic:

Also, I don't think I'll be making an interior of the hold, just the orlop/lower deck, and inside the sterncastle and forecastle.

And I also like the fact that you're making the masts consist of 2 or 3 parts.

Anyway, Good luck with this ship!

I'm trying to make it as accurate as possible :pir-classic:. Here is a detailed sketch of the masts and spars:

sketch2.gif

Alright, here's whats been going on with the project for the past few days:

1. I asked a friend of mine, Syd Ulrich, if I could borrow some (as in ALOT) of his Legos, And he was nice enough to agree, and he said he'd give them to me tomorrow. :pir-classic:

2. I recieved an E-mail from lego saying that my order shipped out on tuesday, and should be in soon :pir_laugh2:

3. I worked some on the hull, though I'm thinking It's a bit wide at the moment, so I'll probably be doing a v3 if it doesn't turn out right :pir-hmpf_bad: Anywho, here's a pic:

img_4468.gif

4. I also worked on making a crew, and so far have 45, however I will have Charles Darwin and Robert Fitzroy figs soon. Pic:

img_4467.gif

She looks promising. :thumbup: I would defiantly check out some of our master shipbuilders brickbuilt hulls, such as CGH, Teddy and Errorist for a good reference. Also I noticed that you have a good amount of headroom on the decks. Most ships did not have a ton of headroom and a person would have to bend down slightly to walk. But like I said it looks promising.

-Admiral Bejaune

She looks promising. :thumbup: I would defiantly check out some of our master shipbuilders brickbuilt hulls, such as CGH, Teddy and Errorist for a good reference. Also I noticed that you have a good amount of headroom on the decks. Most ships did not have a ton of headroom and a person would have to bend down slightly to walk. But like I said it looks promising.

-Admiral Bejaune

I've seen CGH's, Teddy's, Perfectionist's, Phred's, and Errorist's brick built hulls. I would agree with you that the decks should be slightly shorter, so I think I'll make them 1/3 of a brick shorter.

Also, like I said earlier, I DO NOT like the shape of the hull, and think it is far too wide, and have already started on v3, this time it's thinner

Edit: Let's not forget Blackmoore's brick built hull!

I will have Charles Darwin and Robert Fitzroy figs soon

Well, I'm true to my word, so here they are!

img_4469.gif

img_4470.gif

Also I made a setup so the steering wheel will accually work. Here's the prototype:

img_4471.gif

img_4472.gif

And remember, feel free to comment!

They look very nice and I especially like the decal on Fitzroy a lot.

The working helm is also a great idea, I hope it will work.

Keep it up!

Well, I'm true to my word, so here they are!

Edit by CGH: please do not quote entire posts with a lot of pictures when you have nothing to point out on them. Thank you!

And remember, feel free to comment!

Wow :pir-oh3: The torsos on those figs look amazing! :pir-classic: I am really impressed!

Wow :pir-oh3: The torsos on those figs look amazing! :pir-classic: I am really impressed

CGH is right, when making a reply, don't use thier pictures unless you plan on pointing something out in them.

As well, the desired text should go in between the color things, So it'll look like this!

I'm glad you've liked my MOC so far (though currently it's more like a collaboration of tiny mocs) I hope to get the hull done soon, though it's unlikely it'll finished by the end of the month. Currently I'm trying to find a good way to do the figure head.

This certainly looks promising and i like the idea you've come up with for a working rudder. Nice work, i look forward to seeing the next updates.

Looks great so far! :thumbup: One thing I always liked about this ship was the name. :pir_laugh2:

ME too!

This certainly looks promising and i like the idea you've come up with for a working rudder. Nice work, i look forward to seeing the next updates.

The idea is 99% based off a drawing of the acual steering mechanism on the HMS Beagle.

It's been 12 days since I ordered my bricks, so they should be arriving in the next few days, and I'll have a nice big hull update once it comes in.

P.S. Happy Saint Patty's Day!

and I'll have a nice big hull update once it comes in.

I cannot tell a lie! Here's the update!

img_4476.gif

img_4477.gif

I'd really like to know if the shape is looking good so far. To me it seems to be coming along well, but i'd like to know what you guys think.

As well, it seemed like a good opportunity to get another shot in with Fitzroy and Darwin...

img_4481.gif

... they'd make great sigfigs, eh?

Thank you all for your comments! I hope I can get some more, because they're always so helpful...

P.S. I tried to get a pic in of me holding the ship, but couldn't find out how to make the camera stall before taking the picture. At the moment the ship is a little less than 3 feet from tip to tip, should be a little more than 3 when I'm done. I hope this means you guys aren't going to dought the fact that it's minifig scale...

P.P.S. I bought exactly 98 1x2 plates from PAB, they came in, and guess how many I have left? 4... lol I thought I would've had PLENTY of 1x2's, but alas, I underestimated the ship's sheer size once again...

Got a estimate of when it will be completed?

I hope to be done with the ship by the end of July, maybe August. That's about 4 months. I've already spent a month on this, and it's about 1/4th of the way done, so hopefully I can finish by the time 9th grade comes around...

This is looking VERY promising!

Great shape and good colours so far.

I like the minifigs, but don't you want to give Fitzroy yellow epaulettes? I saw that on a few pictures.

Anyway, good luck. July is coming soon so I think you'll have to hurry :pir-classic: I've already spent almost a year on my ship :pir-wink:

And one question: how are you going to make it full rigged and still being able to take a look at the lower decks?

This is looking VERY promising!

Great shape and good colours so far.

I like the minifigs, but don't you want to give Fitzroy yellow epaulettes? I saw that on a few pictures.

Anyway, good luck. July is coming soon so I think you'll have to hurry :pir-classic: I've already spent almost a year on my ship :pir-wink:

And one question: how are you going to make it full rigged and still being able to take a look at the lower decks?

1. thanks!

2. thanks again!

3. in the painting I based fitzroy on, he does have yellow epaulettes, but I do not have any yellow epaulettes. I tried to paint the white ones, but it turned out a wierd shade of yellow. But yes, you are correct, he should have yellow epaulettes.

4. I've got all summer to do whatever, which includes working on the ship... I'm pretty sure it'll be done by August (at least construction will, rigging will take quite some time)

5. Only the part of the deck inbetween the fore/mainmasts will be removable, and the rigging shouldn't get in the way of making the poopdeck removable, though I'm not quite sure how or if I can make forecastle deck removable.