I've always had the ambition to make a model worthy of the iconic designs from the Star Wars saga. I don't know how I ended up building an AT-ST some months ago, but it might have something to do with my adoration of marshal banana's and Brickdoctor's masterpieces. I hope this MOC is a worthy tribute.

This model is built entirely in Lego Digital Designer, and that has had its consequences. Firstly, I couldn't use illegal (or just complex) connections, which resulted in some strange decisions (I still think tiles would have been better for eyelids. For the same reason, I couldn't get a cockpit interior. The connections needed to achieve that would take a ridiculous amount of aligning pieces...). The second consequence is even more important: I couldn't test the stability of the creation.

So I could have spent a lot of time thinking this or that connection would be stronger, but unfortunately I couldn't experiment. Therefor, I stopped trying to make it super stable and concentrated on different aspects. This doesn't mean I took care to avoid the connections that are obviously weak, but I can give no guarantees whatsoever the model will hold (I give it 10% max).

I used that time to focus on detail and realism. I tried to follow the original model as accurately as I deemed possible, and took care to avoid studs and axle holes to give it a more realistic look. I guess this is the most studless AT-ST MOC ever made... Also, I tried to include the same amount of points of articulation as in the original model, except in the feet, that certainly wouldn't allow a freedom under such load. Finally, I didn't build this model with Bricklink's catalog next to me, giving me a lot of freedom. The result is that not all parts of this model are available though. I'm sorry that it will remain a digital model.

My real objective was to make something like "the ultimate AT-ST MOC". Now I realise there is no such creation, but every creation has its flaws and its strengths. I hope you can still appreciate it. So here are the pictures

15827317481_14dd702e49_c.jpg

[MOC] AT-ST by Bert.VR, on Flickr

When I had finished the model, I couldn't resist adding a small scene very much in the spirit of marshal banana's creation. I hope you like my try at the Ewok glider.

15643778038_e79625c8d4_b.jpg

[MOC] AT-ST - from all angles by Bert.VR, on Flickr

Here are some 'technical views' to give you an idea about the proportions. I really like how most shapes turned out, but in the end the 'butt' is sticking out a bit too much for my taste. Still, I think it looks great from every angle.

15644040107_69bdd41730_b.jpg

[MOC] AT-ST - Join the Empire! by Bert.VR, on Flickr

This shot ended up being way more dramatic than intended, but I really like it. It gives you a closer look at the head and shows the details I added on the underside. There aren't a whole lot of very greebly areas on the model, so most of them you can see here. There aren't really any extraordinary parts usages in there, but I tried to mimic the details as good as possible

15643382239_d468be890a_c.jpg

[MOC] AT-ST - glider perspective by Bert.VR, on Flickr

Another limitation was that I couldn't use flexible parts. These railings could have benefited from it. The same goes for some piping on the back. But anyway, here you can see how the head comes together. I like how the seams are minimal (not an easy feat in LDD!). I'm also quite proud of the solution I found for the side cannon. You wouldn't believe how many iterations I went through to arrive at this!

15209228924_46b2244b6d_c.jpg

[MOC] AT-ST - the rear by Bert.VR, on Flickr

I guess every model has that one area where the structural elements shine through, making it a bit more ugly from that perspective. This is that angle. I also had to do a lot of fishy connections to cover it all up, especially with the connections of those decorative panels. Shifting to the lower section, I'm really glad with those exhausts. I couldn't use cheese slope mosaics, but a very accidental click led me to these brancard wheel pieces, and they just snapped perfectly into place.

15830755482_aec7ee5745_c.jpg

[MOC] AT-ST - who needs stable legs? by Bert.VR, on Flickr

I spent a lot of time just to get the curved section at the front of the legs. I got the shape right, but the Technic holes aren't pretty. Still, this was the best thing I could come up with. Same goes for the feet: very tricky. The original model has a nice curved shape, and the only part that can match it has to be one of the cockpit pieces. That one had impossible connection points though, so I stuck to this solution.

This isn't supposed to be all complaining of course. I had a blast building this model, and I hope you see it. With my comments, I tried to give the model some more nuance for you. I'd love to hear what your comments are!

LXF File available here

That's probably the best looking AT-ST yet, and looks MF scaled as well. I always found the 8038 At-ST a tad too small despite being the best looking, the UCS a tad too big, and the 7657 too bland.

Yours is the best fit of all 3, especially as a display.

Edited by Pointblank

Fantastic model. I particularly like the details of the front guns under the cockpit. Great use of different pieces.

Very nice.. Even if a lot of the bricks don't exist In the right color it would be nice to see You giving it a go in real bricks.

It's sure that this model looks amaizing. But it is as amazing than impossible to build in real bricks.

- The bionicle connection between the legs and the cabin would not support the weight of the cabin.

- Using a 3L Technic cross axle for the feet will not hold the positions of the legs straight. Everithing would fall.

So if someone wants to rebuild it : Without a holder/stand, There are no chance to have the same modell.

Still, your version shows a lot of interesting building possibilities. The main problem is that you gave the detail of a collector scale into a smaller, "playable" close to minifigure scale. At such a scale, the model has to be playable, to be able to adopt a few positions, for example. It's possible with your MOC, but here the legs would not be capable to move corectly. In facts, for every step, too many pieces would fall from the model. There is a too big contrast.

Great work, but it remains what it is : an LDD model, not tested in real conditions.

Awesome details and greeblling! The kite is also an awesome and simple design. Any way you can share this awesome model?

Very very Greebly. You used some very interesting techniques to tackle the formidable shape. I thought the cockpit was a bit too boxy, but giving it a second look, it has a sort of slant to it. I think the "hip" section has to the most fantastic part of it. Looks the sturdiest too. The feet look perfect, but do not look like they will support the model. The way you used the medical bed legs in the back portion is genius! Also the side guns are simple but effective. Awesome MOC! Any plans on building any part of this in the future?(even thought not all pieces are available in grey)

So much detail!!! I believe it's more detailed than the UCS version, congratulations, you made the best AT-ST ever made :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: .

We will never get tired of imperial walkers, do we? :classic: Great model. The proportions seem to be very accurate, and the detail is astounding, especially on the legs, which in my eyes are the hardest to get right with Lego. It's a pity that this model can't be build in grey only with unmodified Lego bricks.

Great work BEAVeR, and a worthy addition to the Empire's forces! :wink:

gallery_5203_163_10909.png

Great model Beaver! :thumbup: Nice that you try some SW vehicles not in the setting of Sone too. I really like your great part usage again, very much NPU and details seem well thought out.

For the whole model, the presentation is awesome, and I like the little ewok glider too! But to me someting looks off or strang in the model from some angles. Maybe it's the source material, maybe not. From many off the angles it looks really good though but still with a few less beatiful angles. For example, that first picture, that angle, the AT-ST looks just a bit blocky. Head seems too small, legs to wide from each other. When I imagine these dimensions corrected to what I can remember from the movies, I can see a very beatifull AT-ST.

Maybe a few "harsh" points, I hope that you don't take it to personally, but you seem to me to be the person who can react to this professionally :wink: . Nevertheless, I really respect the time and effort you put in this to make a fantastically detailed model. As they say in dutch, "De beste stuurlui staan aan wal", so I guess I must make one first myself to be able to really give a good opinion on your creation. :grin:

I love the brickbuilt "cheeks" and ofcourse the great parts usage. It reminds me a little of my own rendition which I did way back in 2001:

atst1.jpg

However, the amount of parts back then was a little more resticting. I love the way you tapered the head and I especially love the amount of work you put in the leg section. Hope to a brickbuilt variant soon (although as stated, with a few color/part alternates). Very nice all in all!!

I'm humbled by your words. Thank you very much for sharing your ideas!

This looks great. I hope to take a stab at building it with real bricks in the future (and curse you the whole time for using fake bricks)

That's a big compliment, goatman461! I've explained how difficult building it might be, but if I only can give you some inspiration, that's a victory. Feel free to curse me :wink: .

That's probably the best looking AT-ST yet, and looks MF scaled as well. I always found the 8038 At-ST a tad too small despite being the best looking, the UCS a tad too big, and the 7657 too bland.

Yours is the best fit of all 3, especially as a display.

Could you compare your AT-ST with minifigure ?

I didn't really build this vehicle to be exactly on minifig scale, but somehow it turned out to be very close, as illustrated by the following picture:

300x510.jpg

I think this is quite good! There are some problems however...

It's sure that this model looks amaizing. But it is as amazing than impossible to build in real bricks.

- The bionicle connection between the legs and the cabin would not support the weight of the cabin.

- Using a 3L Technic cross axle for the feet will not hold the positions of the legs straight. Everithing would fall.

So if someone wants to rebuild it : Without a holder/stand, There are no chance to have the same modell.

Still, your version shows a lot of interesting building possibilities. The main problem is that you gave the detail of a collector scale into a smaller, "playable" close to minifigure scale. At such a scale, the model has to be playable, to be able to adopt a few positions, for example. It's possible with your MOC, but here the legs would not be capable to move corectly. In facts, for every step, too many pieces would fall from the model. There is a too big contrast.

Great work, but it remains what it is : an LDD model, not tested in real conditions.

Thank you very much for your time and effort to make such an insightful and nuanced comment, really appreciated! Your points are completely valid. Except if there is some kind of magical balance in the model, the ball joints won't hold. They can be supported by an external stand, or some blocking elements could be inserted, or the connection could be replaced with 2D hinges. I went for the ball joints however, to allow maximum poseablility and realism, as I said my objectives were. That 3L (just round BTW) bar is a weak point as well, but that might still be okay when there is only axial force.

Of course my model wasn't designed to be playable, but I get your point. Again, this illustrates the compromises I had to make. Someone more skilled then i will have to make the ultimate AT-ST I guess. You gave them some good tips! And in the meantime, I'm very glad you can still appreciate my flawed model.

Awesome details and greeblling! The kite is also an awesome and simple design. Any way you can share this awesome model?

Thanks, and of course I can share it. I didn't include a link to the LDD file because it is pretty pointless to try to build it, given its obvious limitations. But please, prove me wrong (I'm not going to build it myself, with no experience in painting parts and not much LEGO budget to begin with...), so here you have a link to the LXF file.

Very very Greebly. You used some very interesting techniques to tackle the formidable shape. I thought the cockpit was a bit too boxy, but giving it a second look, it has a sort of slant to it. I think the "hip" section has to the most fantastic part of it. Looks the sturdiest too. The feet look perfect, but do not look like they will support the model. The way you used the medical bed legs in the back portion is genius! Also the side guns are simple but effective. Awesome MOC! Any plans on building any part of this in the future?(even thought not all pieces are available in grey)

Thanks a lot for the feedbak! The shape still has its flaws, with the back portion not being vertical, but I'm glad you appreciate the work I put into getting the shape right. The hip section was the most fun to build: it has a lot of interesting details to it, but they aren't too obvious so that you can't really screw up. So it gave me a lot of opportunity to experiment, resulting in things like the bed wheels in the back. And sadly no, I'm not planning to build it in the near future (or build anything as a matter of fact). Life's still to hectic for me to spend a lot of time gathering bricks.

Great work BEAVeR, and a worthy addition to the Empire's forces! :wink:

gallery_5203_163_10909.png

I'm honored to see that my MOC was worthy of your pen, Lobot! Glad you like it. I included the slain Ewok especially to make things right for you after my debacle in SoNE V :wink: .

Great model Beaver! :thumbup: Nice that you try some SW vehicles not in the setting of Sone too. I really like your great part usage again, very much NPU and details seem well thought out.

For the whole model, the presentation is awesome, and I like the little ewok glider too! But to me someting looks off or strang in the model from some angles. Maybe it's the source material, maybe not. From many off the angles it looks really good though but still with a few less beatiful angles. For example, that first picture, that angle, the AT-ST looks just a bit blocky. Head seems too small, legs to wide from each other. When I imagine these dimensions corrected to what I can remember from the movies, I can see a very beatifull AT-ST.

Maybe a few "harsh" points, I hope that you don't take it to personally, but you seem to me to be the person who can react to this professionally :wink: . Nevertheless, I really respect the time and effort you put in this to make a fantastically detailed model. As they say in dutch, "De beste stuurlui staan aan wal", so I guess I must make one first myself to be able to really give a good opinion on your creation. :grin:

Thanks for the very helpful comment, TWP! I tried to do this apart from SoNE to give the first place completely to the build, and not bother about telling a story but doing something more about presentation as well. I'm glad you like the effect. I'm certainly planning to do more of these creations in the future, but don't hold your breath.

About those angles, I had the same thoughts when building the model. I tried to follow the design as good as possible, but the source material is pretty limited on certain angles, and my overall impression was rather surprising to me. I tired to translate those proportions in the brick, but I guess I rounded off in the wrong direction or something like that. Proportions are still my biggest point of improvement, so I'll keep practicing, and I hope you like the results!

And don't worry: it's this kind of feedback I really appreciate. And I know the feeling after giving a comment that it sounded too harsh while I really like the model. Of course I can't say you feel exactly the same, but let me tell you that you don't need to feel bad, quite on the contrary! If you really want to feel safe, go ahead and build that AT-ST! I'm anxious to see it...

And who said I don't live in the French speaking part of Belgium :wink: (for the people who do not speak Dutch like we do, "De beste stuurlui staan aan wal" means that the people who think they know it better always are the ones without experience)

I love the brickbuilt "cheeks" and ofcourse the great parts usage. It reminds me a little of my own rendition which I did way back in 2001

<snip>

However, the amount of parts back then was a little more resticting. I love the way you tapered the head and I especially love the amount of work you put in the leg section. Hope to a brickbuilt variant soon (although as stated, with a few color/part alternates). Very nice all in all!!

That's an impressive creation (and render) for the time! It's good to have some feedback from someone with the same experience. I'm glad you appreciate the effort needed to make those legs what they are!

Again thanks a lot everyone for your precious feedback! I hope they will result in my next creation being better. Know that you are all builders on my creations as well.

This is so awesome. AT-ST is probably my favorite Empire vehicle and this model does it justice. I hope to make this for real and hopefully do something to make it stand on its own. Kudos!