suenkachun

What new LEGO Bricks would you like LEGO to make?

There are in fact a certain number of new Bricks which I would like LEGO to have. During my construction of different models, I realised that having these Bricks would make it easier for us to build, and these Bricks can also help save the total number of Bricks used, especially when you are submitting your creations to LEGO-they don't usually appreciate models with very large amounts of Bricks no matter how detailed or beautiful your model can be! Also, if you are recreating a real life item (such as a building or a vehicle) in LEGO Bricks, you want to be as accurate as possible; in this case, adding a few new Bricks can always help! Join the discussion and contribute your ideas as you may, but please note that this topic will not make any requests to LEGO as that is beyond our reach. If anyone thinks that a Brick is in fact good enough to be requested, they can attempt the task and report back. If any of the suggested Bricks are in fact existing or being developed by LEGO, please post and tell us, as it will be great to see our wishes come true!

To start the discussion, below is my current list of wanted Bricks.

1. 1x14 Brick. In recent years, LEGO developed the 2x14 Plate which helped a lot, but I still think that they need one for the Bricks. After this, both Plates and Bricks will have a 10, 12, 14 and 16-brick long version.

2. 4x4 and 4x8 Brick. Currently, LEGO has the 4x6 Brick, 4x10 Brick and 4x12 Brick, together with the 4x4 Plate, 4x6 Plate, 4x8 Plate, 4x10 Plate and 4x12 Plate. In order to fill the gaps, there should also be a 4x4 Brick and a 4x8 Brick, but I've ruled out wider Bricks to simplify things.

3. Other longer Plates. It will be really useful if there is a 4x16 Plate, and LEGO could open up the world of 18-brick long Plates (such as a 4x18 Plate and a 6x18 Plate), as they already have the 4x18 Brick.

4. Other wider Plates. The world of 8-Brick wide Plates should be expanded to include Plates like the 8x10 Plate and the 8x12 Plate.

5. Another pair of Curved Bricks/Curved Plates. As seen in the image here, LEGO Currently has three pairs of Curved Bricks and Curved Plates, but there is a gap in between the second group and the third group. The gap in both the Bricks and the Plates should be filled in to make building easier.

6. Shorter Sliding Plates. The Sliding Plates are really useful when you want to build sliding doors or replicate Automatic Doors, but currently it only has the 2x8 version. Having a 2x4 version and a 2x6 version will really help, as seen in the following example. Modern Elevators usually have pairs of narrow sliding doors, and currently it's not yet possible to recreate that unless your Elevator is eight bricks wide.

7. Narrow Doors/Windows. Referring to the Elevator example above, if you Elevator is four bricks wide, two 1x2x6 Frames with Glass can help you recreate the sliding doors. This is also useful in the following situation: as seen here, some doors may have both a wide part and a narrow part. By using a 1x4x6 Frame and a 1x2x6 Frame, these doors can be reproduced more accurately. There should also be a corresponding Glass and/or door for the Frame.

8. Doors which open inwards. In reality there are doors which you push open but the door knob or handle is in front of you. This type of doors currently can't be reproduced in LEGO Bricks, as you can't place the door knob or handle outside a door which opens inwards due to the door frame blocking the way. If a new door could be made with the studs for the door knob or handle on the door moved slightly inwards from the edge we can finally have doors which open inwards.

9. Horizontal Windows. This has been my wish for a long time. Currently LEGO only has vertical Windows (such as the Frame 1x4x6 and corresponding Glass), but very few horizontal windows. The closest one is the Wall Element 1x4x2 With Windows and the corresponding Glass. My idea is a whole new range of horizontal Windows, which may include a Frame 1x4x2 and Glass, Frame 1x8x4 and Glass, Frame 1x8x4 Bipartite (with a horizontal line in between) and so on. I once developed my own version of a horizontal Window (as seen here), created by flipping an existing Frame 1x4x6 and corresponding Glass by 90° and adding Bricks here and there.

10. A new Frame 1x4x3 with corresponding glass. Currently, the Frame 1x4x3 can only fit in a Glass For Frame 4x3 which opens on one side, while the Window Frame 4x3 can fit in a Glass 23, 75x28, 5x2 which can rotate as the middle of the sides are used to attach the Glass to the window. My idea is a Frame 1x4x3 with corresponding Glass where the Glass is fixed into the Frame in the four corners and not being able to be opened, just like the Frame 1x4x6 and corresponding Glass.

11. Brick versions of certain Plates With Angles. Some larger Bricks with angles only have a plate version, such as the Left/Right Plate 3x6 With Angle. Brick versions of these Bricks will really help.

12. Longer Profile Bricks (Single Gro.). In recent years, LEGO developed the Profile Brick Single Gro., which has the 1x2 version and the 1x4 version, representing smaller tiled Bricks on a normal Brick. A 1x6 version and a 1x8 version (can even be longer than that) will benefit those who use this type of Brick extensively in the wall of a house.

That's all I can think of for now. Please contribute your ideas, and thank you for everyone's attention!

Edited by suenkachun

It's not a risky topic... people wanting new bricks has been on EB forever; including this thread.

For the record, I'd be happy with current designs of basic bricks being more widely available and in more (even just basic) colors. I'd like that more than new bricks.

Pretty similar to what Fred said - only with a different piece - the grass stalk piece, also known as the flower stem piece. Currently, we've got that one in regular green, most commonly, as well as the rare brown variant. Certain MOCs could use more realistic grass, however, for example when building a swamp or anything else that should logically use grass in a darker shade of green. So for that piece... dark green and olive green would do. Maybe lime, or the light green color as seen in the 'Friends' sets, and brown and grey would be welcome as well.

Edited by General Magma

I would like to see sand green bricks sold as PAB directly from Lego. The resellers and people who want sets such as GG for an investment will hate me for saying this, but it is frustrating to see a part be rare when it does not necessarily have to be. A sand green 1x8 is $3-4 for just one brick while a white one can be had for mere cents. What is wrong with this picture? ---end rant--

For me, basically just fill out the roster. All parts in all colours.

Anything that is lacking a reverse should get one.

Those fancy pieces that some people have 3D printed that make stud reversal easier...

I dunno though, there is nothing specific that I would fight for at this point, I just want all the pieces they have made in the past to be easily available...

It's time to add more Bricks to my wanted list, but I prefer to continue the list in a new post.

13. Plate versions of certain Bricks. Two types of Bricks are included in this category: 1. Brick With Angle/Facet Brick and 2. Curved Brick/Brick With Bow. The exact Bricks include: Brick 2x2 w. angle 45 degrees (Part 87620), Facet Brick 3x3x1 (Part 2462), Facet Brick 4x4x1 (Part 14413), Facet Brick 5x5x1 (Part 6107), Curved Bricks 2 Knobs (Part 3063), Brick 2x2W. Inside And Outs.Bow (Part 85080) and Bow 1/4 4x4x1 (Part 48092). If you refer back to the fifth item in the first post of this topic, there should also be a Plate version for the missing Curved Brick.

14. Two new Round Brick 1x1 (Part 3062). Currently, the Round Brick 1x1 (Part 3062) has a wider end and the other end has a stud with a hole. I suggest that there should be a Round Brick 1x1 with two wider ends and another Round Brick 1x1 with the stud with a hole on both ends. I've seen the first one in another Brick brand and thought that LEGO should have both versions. These two Bricks can be really useful when you want to build a pipe from one wall to another horizontally.

15. Taller Round Bricks. Currently, LEGO has the 1x1x3, 1x1x5 and 2x2x3 versions for a normal Brick, so there should also be a Round Brick 1x1x3, Round Brick 1x1x5 and a three-brick tall version of the Brick ø16 W. Cross. When building round columns or pipes, these new Bricks can make them look better.

16. Brick 1x4 W. 8 Knobs. Currently, both the Brick 1x1 and Brick 1x2 can have either a knob/knobs on one side or knobs on two sides opposite to each other, but the Brick 1x4 only has the version with four knobs on one side. Therefore, there should be a Brick 1x4 W. 8 Knobs with four knobs on each side.

17. More extremely long plates. If you refer back to the third item in the first post of this topic, I've already talked about adding more longer Plates. This time, I suggest LEGO to open up the world of 24-brick long Plates (such as a 4x24 Plate), as they already have the 6x24 Brick and the Brick 12x24 Canister.

18. More one-brick wide plates. Currently, one-brick wide plates only include 1x1, 1x2, 1x3, 1x4, 1x6, 1x8, 1x10, 1x12 and 1x2x2. It will definitely be more convenient to have a 1x14 Plate and a 1x16 Plate.

19. Longer Flat Tiles. Flat Tiles used to only have 1x1, 1x2, 1x4, 1x6, 1x8 and 2x2 (and even larger ones, not mentioned here). In recent years, 1x3, 2x4 and Corner 1x2x2 were added. A 1x10 and even a 1x12 Flat Tile will be really helpful, but I do not recommend going over 12 Bricks for Flat Tiles.

20. Plate 2x2 Round W 1 Knob. Currently, there is a Plate 2x2 W 1 Knob, and a round version will help a lot.

That's all I can think of this time. Please continue to contribute your ideas, and thank you for everyone's attention!

Edited by suenkachun

This time, I've thought of two more Bricks to add to my wanted list, and from now on the list will continue in new posts.

21. One more Profile Brick (Single Gro.). If you refer back to the twelfth item in the first post of this topic, I've already talked about adding more longer Profile Bricks (Single Gro.). Recently, I discovered that with only the 1x2 and 1x4 versions, you are unable to complete the wall pattern if there is a one-Brick gap in your wall, which you must fill up with a 1x1 Brick in the same colour (it might not look good, but this is only my personal opinion). As it's harder to make a one-Brick wide Profile Brick (Single Gro.), having a three-Brick version is the best option for now (unless LEGO can still manage to make the one-Brick version, then in that case I'd suggest to have both versions added).

EDIT: According to my latest observations, both the one-Brick wide version and the three-Brick wide version can actually have two different designs on the face with vertical lines between the horizontal lines, so that might be the reason why LEGO didn't make them. Therefore, my suggestion will now include all the different variations.

22. Brick 1x2 W. 1 Knob/2 Knobs. If you refer back to the sixteenth item in the previous post, I've already talked about Bricks With Knobs. This time, I recommend having a Brick 1x2 W. 1 Knob where the knob is placed in the middle of the Brick, just like the position of the hole in Technic Brick 1x2, ø4.9, and another version of this Brick with two knobs back-to-back in the middle (Brick 1x2 W. 2 Knobs) should also be added.

That's all I can think of this time. Please continue to contribute your ideas, and thank you for everyone's attention!

Edited by suenkachun

23. a new lightsaber handle for Kylo Ren. After seeing pictures of the Lego version, I'm mixed on the new lightsaber blade piece. They could've added a new lightsaber handle so it would be movie accurate.

To add to 19, while you can get away with using two 1x3 pieces, a single 2x3 would be nicer.

Also, for 21, I don't think a 1x3 is necessary (although i wouldn't complain); if they were just going to do 1 new profile brick, it HAS to be 1x1, and to make it work arbitrarily, one side needs to match the left of a 1x2 profile brick, an adjacent side needs to match the right, and the other two sides need the straight horizontal line like the back of the 1x2. That would make it work anywhere you are using profile bricks, and even corners (although another one that swaps the profile sides would be necessary).

Here are three more suggestions I thought of today.

24. More colours for the 3x3 Plate to make it more common. Currently, it's only available in three colours (Dark Stone Grey, Medium Stone Grey and Light Purple) as seen in LDD.

25. More colours for the Plate 3x3, Cross to make it more common. Currently, it's only available in three different colours (Black, Dark Orange and Medium Lavender) as seen in LDD.

26. More colours for the Flat Tile 1x1, Round, as it's still not available in some of the most common colours, such as Red, Bright Yellow, Dark Green and Black

P.S., I totally agree with a 2x3 Flat Tile as mentioned above. For the Profile Brick, perhaps it'll be easier to make a 1x1 with two versions, and possibly a corner version as well. Also, another important point about this type of Bricks is there should be more colours to make it more common.

Edited by suenkachun

Apparently, one of the Bricks in my wanted list is already available, so that's one Brick down!

20. Plate 2x2 Round W 1 Knob.

This Brick is currently not found in LDD, so I thought it didn't exist. However, I just saw it on Brickset.

18674: Plate Round W. 1 Knob (link)

Also, for 14. Two new Round Brick 1x1 (Part 3062), half of my request is actually available.

75535: Tube ø7,84 2M is in fact a Round Brick with two wider ends, but it doesn't match the height of two Round Bricks 1x1, so you might have to work something out.

Hopefully, we'll soon see other Bricks in my list added!

A bobble hat.

Also all the new sci fi cockpit windscreens in trans-yellow.

Columbus

Edited by Columbus019