Sign in to follow this  
Asilla

MOC - how to ?

I have seen some very nice MOC and would like to try it myself.

I was wondering how do you get that many bricks in one or two colors, mine

is all mixed and VERY colorful, not so nice for MOC projeckts ;) :sceptic:

How many kg Lego do you have ?

I have seen some very nice MOC and would like to try it myself.

I was wondering how do you get that many bricks in one or two colors, mine

is all mixed and VERY colorful, not so nice for MOC projeckts ;) :sceptic:

How many kg Lego do you have ?

I think every AFOL has his/her own method. A lot of us really do put a lot of money on it. But it also requires you to buy the sets that have the colors you want and do not be afraid of buying two or more ... But I think that once you have a sizeable collection, you will have enough bricks of some few colors, and it is easier then to make MoCs in those colors rather than first think of the color and then look for pieces instead of doing the opposite :)

Of course, you should also know how to get bricks without buying sets. There are many ways like bricklink and also trading counts. But most importantly, you should read this : http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=21898&st=0 :)

As of me, I was in your position some months ago until I researched about my country's second hand market and learned where to find and get random bulks of pieces for very cheap.

Edited by vexorian

:classic: Great answer vexorian. Asilla you live in Denmark, the home of LEGO, so a visit to Legoland should yield access to loads of sets and even loose bulk bricks too in Pick-a-brick and broken down sets. So a visit there could be most beneficial.

eBay and Bricklink should give you access to shops in your area of Europe, or you may even want to order from shops overseas as well to get particular parts etc. Look up catalog items to discover the part numbers of each set, this will make it easier to figure out what parts you need etc.

Medieval Market Village

Inventory for MMV

I envy you looking at Lego for the first time is so much fun, if a little overwhelming.

If you have a favourite theme you want to build in let us know and that will make it easier to figure out what you want to build.

Cheers

ISC.

Just like what vexorian said, each AFOL has his/her own way of creating their MOCs.

As for me, this is how I do my MOCs:

1. Come up with an idea, then try to visualize it and finalize what you really want.

2. Get some reference picture/s to serve as a guide, particularly if you're trying to recreate a certain structure, vehicle, or scene.

3. Search for existing LEGO sets which might be similar to what you want to create. You could find some much-needed help and inspiration in the downloadable instructions in the LEGO online customer service site.

4. Make a plan. Identify the parts that you need and how many of each do you need. You don't need to be exact, an estimate will do.

5. If you have the parts that you need from your existing sets, then you're good to go. But if not, or you don't want to scrap your official sets, then Bricklink is your bestfriend.

6. Finalize your purchase of parts, then you just have to wait to arrive to you.

7. Once your parts have arrived, you're ready to build your MOC.

8. The best part of all, enjoy the building/MOCing!

This is how I do my MOCs, it's a rather structured and scientific way, but that's the best way for me. This might or might not work for you, so you just have to find a method where you're most comfortable working.

Well, we hope to see one of your MOCs soon. default_classic.gif

Thanks for the answers.

Sunday I bought 10 kg mixed and dirty Lego, so now I have something to start with, it included 1,5 kg gray mixed bricks.

I'll try to find out how to build a caste of some kind, there was only one minifig in the hole lot and he had only 1 arm.