Matteo Kenobi

Hoth Echo Base

indexed.gif

Ok I know this isn't exactly new and its probably been done to death but this is my first Diorama and/or MOD (however you classify it, I'm still new to this and don't know all the terms) so I would really like some professional criticism on it.

DSC00301.jpg

The left side, containing a bunker, a turret, and a scout tower where upcoming enemies can be seen in the distance. Naturally the Hoth rebel base set has been taken, the walls of it stripped and replaced with the smoother and thicker walls as you see here.

DSC00303.jpg

The right said containing a smaller turret and a bunker identical to the other side. There is also a satellite dish (i dont belive it can be fully seen in this photo) in the top right hand corner

DSC00306.jpg

The door itself with the groove where a snowspeeder can easily fly out of.

DSC00331.jpg

Here you'll see the interior where you'll find 2 Snowspeeders, 1 A wing, 1 X wing, and 3 rebel speeder transports, no room for the falcon, but maybe if i expand on this one day i can get that in there!

Complete Photobucket Gallery: http://s213.photobucket.com/albums/cc117/M...3/Lego/?start=0

Ok I hope i did this right, if there is any further information or pictures from certain angles I would gladly post whatever needs to, some of the photos are a little blurry and if you want me to retake them i would be happy to. Let me know what you think!

This is really an impressive diorama Matteo. Excellent job! The Empire Strikes Back has always been my favorite of the Star Wars films, mainly because of Hoth. I've always wanted to create a Hoth Rebel Base and/or Battle Scene, and you really made a nice one here. I like how you enclosed all of it with the white wall and also how you incorporated the white mountain baseplate. My only constructive criticism is the size of the newer X-Wing, which you can't help. I think the first X-Wing (7142) would look better in the hangar bay and not take up so much space. Considering the size of the new ship; however, you managed to build a base that accomodates it well.

I also like the entrance and the use of the smooth tiles to close it tightly.

Overall, a very nice creation, and I'm sure the actual scene looks much better than the pictures.

EDIT: This makes me want to break out my AT-AT, AT-ST, and some snowtroopers to attack it!

This is really an impressive diorama Matteo. Excellent job! The Empire Strikes Back has always been my favorite of the Star Wars films, mainly because of Hoth. I've always wanted to create a Hoth Rebel Base and/or Battle Scene, and you really made a nice one here. I like how you enclosed all of it with the white wall and also how you incorporated the white mountain baseplate. My only constructive criticism is the size of the newer X-Wing, which you can't help. I think the first X-Wing (7142) would look better in the hangar bay and not take up so much space. Considering the size of the new ship; however, you managed to build a base that accomodates it well.

I also like the entrance and the use of the smooth tiles to close it tightly.

Overall, a very nice creation, and I'm sure the actual scene looks much better than the pictures.

EDIT: This makes me want to break out my AT-AT, AT-ST, and some snowtroopers to attack it!

Haha Wow thanks alot, I'm certainly relived to hear that it doesn't completely suck! Haha yeah the Empire Strikes Back has always been my favorite as well =] It to was a personal goal of mine and I am very happy to see it accomplished. However I do wish it could be wider but i think that would be somewhat of a pain to do right now. Huh that X wing's wing span is much smaller making it much better for this base, I may just do a little research and if i can get it cheaply I might just do that!

The gaps annoyed me, and I found it worked just as well =]

Oh yes it does, I have some sets surrounding this and was at a really odd angle taking these pictures.

Thanks again for the great compliments and I'm glad you liked it!

Haha I may just have to do that myself :wink:

Nice diorama, Excellent details, The Empire Strikes Back is my favorite Star Wars movie so I like all things Hoth, Are you going to add to it? Maybe some At At attacking?

Simply Sweet

Thanks for sharing. :thumbup::thumbup:

Edited by bullet8542

This is a really good modification/MOC.The interior where you managed to fit all the ships is really good.I agree that you should make it a bit bigger to fit in the falcon cause its there in the movie. :thumbup: One thing though,you may want to make the hole where the ships fly out bigger.Because I dont think a X-wing can go through that.But besides that excellent work! :cry_happy:

Hi Matteo, and welcome to EB!

Yes this diorama has been done many times by now.

But since it is one of the greatest scenes in the whole SW, you can never get tired of seeing different peoples different views of it.

Stop beeing so negative to yourself before even starting.

I think this is a good start of a diorama. It doesn´t mean you ever have to extend it. But if you do, it is a good start.

The only critics I got to you is:

If you are aware of that pics are abit bad before posting them, and you say you gladly will redo any of them,

do it immediately instead. You got a digital camera, take 20 pics if nessesary. If it turns out, that they are no good?

Take another 20. And experiment abit with lights and so on.

I have no idea how old you are, or what quantity of bricks you got. But making this diorama bigger, will need alot more bricks.

It doesn´t have to be bigger really. It is abit crowdy in there, but it is more then ok.

Hope you had alot of fun doing it, and that if you keep it together, still will have. there is always a thousands of details that can be added,

or removed.

I am so envy that you got arround to do this, cause I to have wanted to build something simular in a long time now.

Hoth On!

-Ras-

An impressive scenery indeed, with a lot of features and very playable as well. Nicely done! :classic:

Well done Matteo :thumbup: - it looks sweet!

I'll repeat what the others have said, it's been done before but you can never get to many versions of it. Your's really cool.

I also like that the rebels have a satellite dish to watch HBO etc from :tongue:!

The only drawback is that when that X-wing needs to swing into action it will have some problems getting out the base without a big shoehorn :laugh:!

Looking forward to the expanded one!

CopMike

Well done Matteo - it looks sweat!

:laugh: (It's been edited since then)

(Nice use of the Alpha Team base plate for the inner sanctums. It really suits the feel of the movie!)

(I also like the way there is plenty of space for minifigs to move and it's not too blocked up)

Edited by The Rancor

Are you going to add to it? Maybe some At At attacking?

Well if it turns out that we do get Taun Tauns next summer I will probobly add a cage and expand much more with it. Well unfortunately I don't have an AT-AT and the motorized one isn't really on the top of my list right now. So sorry unless i can get a cheap AT AT you probobly wont be seeing a battle scene.

I agree that you should make it a bit bigger to fit in the falcon cause its there in the movie. One thing though, you may want to make the hole where the ships fly out bigger. Because I dont think a X-wing can go through that.But besides that excellent work!

Well yes I have thought about making the interior much bigger, actually I was just thinking about that the other day :classic: I was thinking about getting two large grey baseplates and putting them next to the grey baseplate in the back of the interior, thus expanding it quite a bit, fitting in room for the falcon and giving it much more room. Of course that would cost another $30 for white bricks of Pick A Brick and $25 for the two grey baseplates. I don't know if I wan't to spend that much again but it's always something to consider. Yes I know, the hole is the gate from the set itself, so the only thing that will fit through is a snow speeder or smaller. Certainly to small for a falcon or x wing. I don't know how I would expand the hole but I may look into that.

The only critics I got to you is:

If you are aware of that pics are abit bad before posting them, and you say you gladly will redo any of them,

do it immediately instead. You got a digital camera, take 20 pics if nessesary. If it turns out, that they are no good?

Take another 20. And experiment abit with lights and so on.

I have no idea how old you are, or what quantity of bricks you got. But making this diorama bigger, will need alot more bricks.

It doesn´t have to be bigger really. It is abit crowdy in there, but it is more then ok.

Hope you had alot of fun doing it, and that if you keep it together, still will have. there is always a thousands of details that can be added,

or removed.

I am so envy that you got arround to do this, cause I to have wanted to build something simular in a long time now.

Hoth On!

First of all thanks alot =] Yeah I had alot of fun doing this, and it was a great project to work on.

I think I will try and get some better pictures in there, I'll take them soon and hopefully I can get them in tonight if not tommarow morning, I'll move some stuff around so I can really get a prime spot and I'll play with the lighting a bit more.

Well I'm 14, so a few years away from getting a job =[ My brick supply isn't very strong, in fact building this pretty much wiped almost all of my white colored bricks out. Ordering some more from Pick a brick wouldnt be to big of a job and could be done. If I come across some extra cash before the 09 line comes out this will be on my mind first thing of course. :wink:

I also like that the rebels have a satellite dish to watch HBO etc from!

Haha what else are they going to do while they wait for the Empire to attack? :tongue:

Nice use of the Alpha Team base plate for the inner sanctums. It really suits the feel of the movie!

Haha thanks, i feel the same way =] That was one of my older sets I had, it didn't last long and when it fell to peices, well the baseplate didn't =] So I'm glad I came across it again and it works great =]

Thanks everyone for all your wonderful comments, glad you all liked it! Hopefully I can get some better pictures up so you can see a few details I have tweaked since I first posted it! Thanks again!!! :sweet:

Edited by Matteo Kenobi

Good job, Matteo Kenobi! I really like this, and how it feels more like a military bunker than just a cave covered in snow. The sniper outpost is neat, as well as all of the vehicles inside. Would you mind showing us the section behind the vehicles? :sweet:

Good job, Matteo Kenobi! I really like this, and how it feels more like a military bunker than just a cave covered in snow. The sniper outpost is neat, as well as all of the vehicles inside. Would you mind showing us the section behind the vehicles? :sweet:

Why of course I wouldn't =] I actually just finished doing some pics while playing with lighting (front lights off, back lights on, flash on = better quality on my camera =]) and I have a photobucket gallery up so here you go and enjoy =] Note that I haven't sorted through them all yet so if there are a few blurry stragglers sorry.

http://s213.photobucket.com/albums/cc117/M...Lego/?start=all

Edited by Matteo Kenobi

Nice work here.

I'll be sure to add this to the index tomorrow.

Now I have to sleep :hmpf_bad:

Nice MOC Matteo I like the way you expanded on the set and improved it massively(is that even a word?) the snowboards are a fun addition but i'd rather use a snowspeeder to go against an AT-AT :tongue: .

Edited by foxy

Looks awesome, You should add some attacking imperials, it would only take 1 baseplat to add the at-at and an at-st, and a few snowtroopers.

Nice work here.

I'll be sure to add this to the index tomorrow.

Now I have to sleep :hmpf_bad:

Haha great thanks KimT =]

Nice MOC Matteo I like the way you expanded on the set and improved it massively(is that even a word?) the snowboards are a fun addition but i'd rather use a snowspeeder to go against an AT-AT :tongue: .

Thanks alot =] Yeah I like it muchh better this way =] Haha yeah but all work and no play makes Han and Chewie dull boys :tongue:

Looks awesome, You should add some attacking imperials, it would only take 1 baseplat to add the at-at and an at-st, and a few snowtroopers.

That would be very cool but unfortunately, no AT-AT :sad: The motorized one as cool as it is is'nt on the top of my list, and unless I can get an old one for under like $75 that probobly won't happen :cry_sad:

Glad everyone likes it so far :grin:

indexed.gif

I've added it to the MOD, MOC and Diorama index.

Thanks for sharing your work.

Could you take some more pics? Some of them are a bit discoloured and doesn't serve your fine Diorama very well.

Also that thing looks huge and I'd love to see more pics from different angels.

:thumbup:

I like it. It is a very good expansion on what I felt to be an overpriced and lacklustre set. I like how you were able to fit all of the ships in there(except the falcon).I'm also fairly fond of that 3-dimensional icy baseplate in the back.Very nice MOD/MOC.