Sign in to follow this  
Commodore WagnerStarr

LDD HMS Victory (Ship of the Line) Suggestions needed WIP

Hi all!

I am working on The HMS Victory in Lego Digital Designer and I have ran into a slight problem. The Bow/ Bowsprit. I'm trying to make this model to scale with the (Real/models) of the HMS Victory. On the actually ship it looks as if the bowsprit goes out until about the second deck and starts to curve. So far with no luck, I have tried to create a Lego Bowsprit with the same design. Does anyone have ideas on how I can create a bowsprit that's (on scale) and has the design of the bowsprit of the HMS Victory. post-125888-0-43906200-1404955607_thumb.png

You could use some curved sloped bricks using SNOT, such as this piece, this piece, or this piece after the 1x2 inverted slopes. I'm using that technique on my current ship I'm working on, and it looks pretty good IMO. Good luck!

Hi,

quite an ambitious project you've got here. I think I spot prefab hull elements, one tip first: get rid of them! A first rate ship of the line on prefabs will end up looking at least very high, see for example Vengeur.

Ok, now to your problem, at first you should consider that going for a minifig illusion scale model, your ship will be distorted, at least in length and width. Because of this you cannot use the same inclination for the beakhead as you see on pictures of the real Victory (or any scale model), it has to be shorter and more adapted to the type of hull you're using.

That being said, here are two examples (LXF-file) I used on Sans Pareil (which I build with HMS Victory as an example) and a recent version of Impérial, one snotted, the other a mix.

But if I were you I'd build up the bow first, only then deal with the beakhead/bowsprit, shaping it according to what looks best in relation to the ship as a whole, not trying to apply a fixed angle.

Another thing, keep in mind that a pattern of two studs gun port, two studs spacing might make your broadside look too crowded, a standard for minifig illusion scale models is to use four studs for spacing.

And your entry ports seem to be too big, they should not take more space than the equivalent of one gun port (plus the ornamentation).

Hope this doesn't sound discouraging, it certainly is only meant to help you with this enormous undertaking.

Best of luck, brick on and hope to see more soon.

Regards,

KB