[LDD MOC] Telosian Speeder

10 replies to this topic

#1 Bobsy

Bobsy

Member: 30040

Posted 26 August 2012 - 08:27 AM

Posted Image

This is born out of three goals. First, my neverending quest to put two seats in a 6-wide setting (failed again, this is 8-wide, and wider still with the engine blocks). Second, I honestly think Lego is missing a trick by not making enough speeders - they're smaller than ships, but just as swooshable (failed again, this is about as big as an A-Wing). Third, petty jealousy with the amount of quality designs Bob de Quatre is coming out with (failed in general. You don't want to know how awful the previous day's design was).

Anyway. It's a speeder. I actually began wanting to make it the Star Wars equivalent of a pick-up truck, with room for cargo at the back, but in the end it looked a lot sleeker and faster than I was anticipating. I call it Telosian because of the orange and white colourscheme sort of matching the Telos station in KOTOR 2. Except I think that was built by Ithorians. Well anyway. Speeder. Bam.

Posted Image
Telosian Speeder by bobsy26, on Flickr

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Cuusoo Medieval Travelling Theatre!
Lend your support here!
Eurobricks discussion here!

#2 Super Brick Collector

Super Brick Collector

Member: 14107

Posted 26 August 2012 - 09:23 AM

I like it. And your right TLG need to release some speeders. They are slacking in that department.
"I'll show the world what it is to be a true Lego collector"

#3 Bobsy

Bobsy

Posted 26 August 2012 - 10:13 AM

View PostSuper Brick Collector, on 26 August 2012 - 09:23 AM, said:

I like it. And your right TLG need to release some speeders. They are slacking in that department.

Take Cad Bane's Speeder for example. It's really good looking, has storage space, good minifigs... but the cost! We could almost buy our own ship for that! The key thing for speeders is for them to be smaller, more affordable than all the spaceships. It also helps define the progression of Star Wars minifig-scale vehicles using size, from speeder bike through regular speeder, fighter, shuttle, frieghter to small capital ship. They could have happily reduced Cad Bane's speeder in size by about 20% and made a really decent affordable set.

</grump>
Posted Image
Lend your support here!

#4 DFOL

DFOL

Member: 10119

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:31 AM

I really like the design and color scheme of this pick-up speeder! Everthing seems to come together very nicely except for the rear end, which stands out in color and doesn't seem to flow with the design as well as the rest. I don't know if that was the intent? It almost looks like it was designed as a seperate piece that is supposed to be detacheable, but looking at the pictures i don't think it is.

On a seperate note, i must say i'm a big fan of how the 8-wide setting turned out! Even though the seating area is still 6-wide, the extra space around it just makes the vehicle appear less cramped. And in terms of size it still compares well to starfighters and other vehicles, so it works very nicely i think!

My compliments for another well designed speeder Bobsy! I'm already looking forward to seeing your next one! :thumbup:
Dutch Fan Of LEGO

#5 Bob De Quatre

Bob De Quatre

• Meanwhile in tumbleweed town...

Member: 29683

Posted 26 August 2012 - 01:04 PM

REally nice speeder.  :thumbup:
Maybe if the storage was higher, it'll look more like a pick-up?

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide

#6 Bobsy

Bobsy

Posted 26 August 2012 - 01:58 PM

View PostBob De Quatre, on 26 August 2012 - 01:04 PM, said:

REally nice speeder.  :thumbup:
Maybe if the storage was higher, it'll look more like a pick-up?

Oh, I gave up on that idea pretty early on. The engines were the parts that made the design come together (that moment when it finally starts to really work) and with them it could only have the more sporty look.
Posted Image
Lend your support here!

#7 Wedge09

Wedge09

Member: 29763

Posted 26 August 2012 - 08:23 PM

Nice work  :thumbup: :thumbup:

My gallery on Flickr, My gallery on Brickshelf as WedgeNT, My (tiny) collection & don't forget to visit my new blog Life in a Brick

Posted ImagePosted Image

Alexander Vandangant, 99-year-old male Elf Hunter in Sandy's HeroicaRPG

and proud member of Avalonia

Wedge09, proud member of the Rebel Alliance in Shadows of Nar Eurbrikka

Weyrdág, in Sandy's Cruel Angel’s Thesis ~ Downfall of Heroes

Come to ridiscover the Guilds of Historica

P.S: M¥ n4m3$ 1$ W3Ð9309

#8 Bobsy

Bobsy

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:49 PM

I decided to finally render this in Povray while I was at work, and coming home just eight and a half hours after starting it going... it had only reached 51%. Thankfully, that 51% included the lion's share of the windscreen, so the rest actually rendered pretty quickly.

I made a couple of small changes. On recommendations, I switched the colours around on the cargo section so they're in line with the rest of the speeder. Then I put a crate in there. Because, you know, crate.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Lend your support here!

#9 DFOL

DFOL

Member: 10119

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:33 PM

Looking good there Bobsy! I like the improvements you made, switching the colors on the cargo section definately makes it appear more an integral part of the speeder. And you can never go wrong with adding a random crate! :laugh:
Dutch Fan Of LEGO

#10 Bilbo Baggins

Bilbo Baggins

Member: 28477

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:24 AM

It looks awesome :sweet: It looks awesome in orange.

#11 glenbricker

glenbricker

Member: 31941

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:09 PM

This looks really fantastic Bobsy!

You certainly seem to have a diverse range of subjects!

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users