Sign in to follow this  
Rapseflaps

Is it too late to get into Pirates?

Well?  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Is it too late to get into Pirates?

• Aye
    • Nay

In 2010, I got back into LEGO.

As a kid, I had a sizable town and I stuck with that theme for most of my childhood (until branching out into space LEGO later on, mostly because I thought all the trans-colored dishes and antennas looked cool).

Anyway, I never really got into any of the Pirates stuff.

I've spent a lot of money over the past year on a lot of City stuff. I pretty much have everything I'd want that's currently on the market. However, I do regularly find myself eyeing the Pirates sets, which look like a ton of great and charming fun.

Now I know you guys might be a bit biased in this, but with Pirates not being renewed for 2010, is there still any point in getting into Pirates? With little to no opportunity for expansion (outside of digging up older sets) and a fading productline, is there still sense in collecting some of the Pirates sets as a sidedish to my main theme (City)?

I'd like to hear what you guys think.

It is never too late.

First off, look at all the wonderful Pirate MOCs - You can use any kind of LEGO to create Pirate MOCs

Second of all: Most of the 2009 sets are still in many stores, and will probably become cheaper closer to August when all the new sets are set to launch.

But lastly: The classic sets, especially those from 1989-1993 are awesome, and the 1989 sets even mark a turning point for LEGO because the Pirates line introduced new faces :)

It is great fun to build the classic sets and see the many new bricks that also were introduced. Have you checked out all our reviews? They should give you a good idea of it all

PLUS: the theme WILL return, no doubt

Edited by Lorentzen

LEGO has mentioned that Pirates isn't really gone for good. You might have to wait a few years, but Pirate LEGO should return eventually. :pir-classic:

It`s never to late to get into LEGO Pirates! :pir-sweet: You can buy many Cassic Pirate sets on Ebay or Bricklink, and still buy many of the 2009-2010 sets today in many stores. As stated before, LEGO Pirates isn`t gone for good yet, it`s just taking a little break. :pir-classic:

-

General Redwater

Edited by General Redwater

How could it ever be too late to get into Lego Pirates? It is the best theme ever! Think about it this way, if you are already interested the sets are only going to get harder to find in the future. Plus if you have some pirates then you can get into all the great CP contests.

What a question! It's never too late to get into Pirates and soon I'll post a cheap e-Bay finds thread again.

Also, LEGO Pirates WILL return, its just a matter of time :pir-wub: .

It is never to late to get into Pirates! I had my first ever Pirates set this time last year, i had Town as a kid, and i ended up giving all my Lego away about ten years ago...

Anyway, this probably rests upon if you are a Set Collector, or prefer to MOC. If you like to collect and display sets, then the 2009 line is relativley sparse. You could easily pick up all those sets if you searched for them, then perhaps look into getting hold of the 90's sets. So as a Set Collector you will soon collect the Theme Run, but as you say, expansion will be limited.

Or it you prefer to MOC, then you will easily obtain a nice selection of Minifig's and Pirate Specific Pieces from buying a few sets, and heading towards BrickLink. Obviously either way make your choice quickly, possibly you may pick up end of line clearance bargains, but i am sure there are many Pirate Deprived Fans who will clear those shelves as soon as they sense the Final Reduction...

I have to say Lego Pirates are great fun, they are so full of character. I dont think you would be dissapointed if you decide to branch out into Pirates, the sets are all excellent, and if you like to try to MOC then you will have great fun messing about with them.

Ah whoops, I appear to have cast that single Aye vote but I misread the question. Sorry. :pir-blush:

Anyway I find that I am in the same situation. I have peeked into this forum every now and then and am slowly finding myself drawn in. Recently it has become too much and I've given in. Now I'm on a quest to grab as many classic/new pirates sets as possible, I hate you all! :pir_mad:

So yes it isn't too late and I'm sure that Pirates will be back like an annoying rash. :pir-grin:

Ah whoops, I appear to have cast that single Aye vote but I misread the question. Sorry. :pir-blush:

Would me like to fix it for yer laddie?

Well, since your asking in the pirate foum where simply everyone loves this theme it's not surprising that they'll try to convince you to get into pirates!

:pir-classic:

Actually I think the old sets from 1989 to 1995 are mostly great and among the best sets Lego ever released so it can't be wrong getting them.

The new sets are just average and sometimes worse, however the minifigs and some accesoires are very great.

A notable exception to this is the Imperial Flagship which is rather good ship for a set!

So if your into MOCing, it isn't worth buying the sets, just get the parts drom Bricklink or smaller impuls sets (Cannon Battle is a best buy!)

If you're more into collecting sets, get the IFS and maybe a few older sets like the BSB, Imperial Trading Post, Eldorado Fortress or Skull Island

just my thoughts...

Never too late to get into pirates, although I'll say it's quite limited as of this time unfortunately. Sadly, the pirates line isn't as perverse as starwars or the castle line. I will be so damn relieved when the starwars rubbish will stop. The contract for starwars runs out in 2011, and I hope that Lego doesn't renew it.

It's never too late in my opinion. There will always be somebody finding a lost collection and shoving it up on eBay.

Plus there's always the chance an AFOL may decide to give it all up. I for one, in the current economic climate, look at my drawer of South Essex, over 200 of them, and thinking of selling them on Bricklink to get some extra money...

Then I go back to doing overtime as they'll grasp those shako's off of me if I really hid skidrow.

-Sir Norman "So hands off." Ray.

seems like you have already made your mind up and just want some justification :pir-blush:

I would say it depends what you do/ want to do with your lego. What do you do with your city collection ?

it sounds strange you saying you dont want to collect sets from a line that wont be continued. I dont see that its continuation would make any difference, or if anything it would be the other way (ie collect them now as you might not get a chance in the future).

Well, since your asking in the pirate foum where simply everyone loves this theme it's not surprising that they'll try to convince you to get into pirates!

Three have said aye, which actually is nay in this case.

None of the ayesayers have voiced their opinion which is unfortunate because it would be interesting to have an opposing view.

Frankly it depends on whether you want to be a red coat or blue coat. If you want to be a red coat, then it's way too late. If you want to be a blue coat, well then, welcome to the crew! :pir-tongue: (actually the question is, shouldn't both groups join forces to defeat the ninjas amassing in the history forum? :pir-oh3: )

Of course it's not too late, You can go pirate whenever you like!

~Insectoid Aristocrat

I myself just got into Pirates theme, grab them now or regret when they're gone!

I think there still is room for expansion.

We just have send our wishes to the Lego company and there still seem to be plenty of things that haven't been made yet in the pirate theme.

So I just want them back, and I think many people here will agree with me because this isn't the pirates forum for nothing :pir-classic:

I would even make one step beyond: get yourself one of the 1989 sets. 6270 Forbidden Island if you like pirates, or the legendary 6276 Eldorado Fortress.

They are superior to the new sets. If you want your figs to look similiar and wish to have some new sets (cause you want NEW sets for a good price, you prefer them or cause you want to army-build), go for the Imperial Flagship.

Anyway: try out one big and beautiful set and then see for yourself. I can assure you that even if you cannot / don't want to combine it with your town, you will have loads of fun playing with the set, or just looking at it. Yes they are that wonderful.

I am not that super-positive cause this is the pirates forum, I would advise the same to anyone who tells me he always wanted to have castle or space or whatever. (In that cases I would say get an old set or the MMV/ Space Police Central)

Variety, it's all about that! Life's too short to stick to one thing.

I don't think it's to late. Like most have mentioned BrickLink is a great way to get cheap minifigures. The minifigures are all you really need in my opinion to get back or into any theme. That's my opinion though. :pir-tongue:

Its never too late to get into any theme of LEGO. But if you start to collect them you should really try to get at least a couple of the classics :pir-classic:

like the BSB or any from the first line.

It's too late!! We're all doomed because LEGO is cancelling BIONICLE!!! NOOOOOO!! Oh wait, this is Pirates :).

Nah, never too late. Even for DUPLO <laughs>. Personally, I got into Pirates in 2009 because of the Flagship but mostly I love Space. Pirates are great, but be prepared because the old Pirates sets are ultra-expensive on Bricklink and the new ones aren't as good.

Castle goes really well with Pirates.

No, of course it's not! :pir-classic:

But I would strongly recommend not only buying sets of the new line, the real piratic jewels are the classic pirate sets! Especially the old redcoat sets or the classic ships (Skull's Eye Schooner, Black Seas Barracuda) are *ahem* unmatched. Go, Imperial Trading Post, go! :pir-tongue:

What I'm trying to say is: Get into pirates, you landlubbarrr! It's never to late, arrr!

And there are really many, I repeat: many old pirate sets for you to dig up, so you won't get tired that fast :)

Edited by funkybrick

It's never too late, but every day you wait, it gets more expensive.

Of course like Erdy said, Pirates will be back.

For now, you can probably get the 2009/2010 sets at cloe to retail, if you want to start to stock up.

The older stuff like all classic lego carries a hefty pricetag.

Watch for Zorro's ebay threads, he finds some good deals.