Sign in to follow this  
coghilla

Modular MOC - 16 Lake St

Firstly this has nothing to do with any Friends sets/theme. This model is a lego interpretation of an actual building located near me, in fact the name of the model is the real property address.

I'm never great with the tiny details nor do I do interiors. for me that's a on day job.

The full flickr set is here (incl some real building photos): https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7omPxh

The building has several materials used in the external cladding, rendered brick, exposed brick, sheet metal, and includes a curved roof.

I used the anatomy of a lego minifig for the mural piece. The area this building is called legoland by real estate agents. Funny how i love the architecture in the place

Instagram teaser shots:

16157760368_063b80a5e9_c.jpgIMG_9556 by coghilla, on Flickr

16343606841_fee23a0433_c.jpgIMG_9562 by coghilla, on Flickr

16157212898_4357a36251_c.jpgBrick events Bundaberg by coghilla, on Flickr

16343607091_2a2a4821d4_c.jpgIMG_9348 by coghilla, on Flickr

I design my builds first on paper:

15725431823_2f3a2003cc_c.jpgIMG_9621 by coghilla, on Flickr

rear shot of the building (not enough brick for to finish it.

15725432573_3b8d500cf2_c.jpgIMG_9612 by coghilla, on Flickr

Curved roof detail

16159485577_05c6258713_c.jpgIMG_9588 by coghilla, on Flickr

How it arrived at Brick events:

16344475492_93f1c451ae_c.jpgIMG_9584 by coghilla, on Flickr

with a few pieces in the box

16157301878_657c684676_c.jpgBrick events Bundaberg by coghilla, on Flickr

the trip home was a bit worse.

16157989900_a10cecfd0b_c.jpgIMG_9740 by coghilla, on Flickr

16159471627_6b824373bb_c.jpgIMG_9741 by coghilla, on Flickr

Edited by coghilla

Looks fantastic and very true to the real thing! I like the use of the grill bricks for the sheet metal and the clever technique for the curved roof.

Pretty nice! The way you held the roof together is cool, and the facade with the canopies is just snazzy.

That is one crazy looking block, It's called Legoland for a good enough reason, I see. I like that Da Vinci mural you made.

The curved roof is excellent! and the entire MOC looks like the source building. I like how you've 'shown your work' alongside images of the MOC.

And finally I think anyone who has displayed works in public will recognise the excess damage in transit on the return trip home.

Great work, cogahilla! I always enjoy seeing modulars that represent "modern" design and I think yours does a nice job capturing the real life building's key design elements and materials. I couldnt help but check out the building on google street view and it looks like the street and neighborhood is full of great looking "modern main street" style buildings that could provide inspiration for years of lego modular MOCs - if you do more, i would love to see them! Anyway, thanks for sharing cogahilla

Love it!

Very original facade, and the curved roof is inspired.

Maybe the drawing needs a bit of work :wink:

Keep clicking those bricks together!

Thanks everyone. This building was a pleasure to built because of "i can see the real thing". I did the front facade first and when i went to do the side and Google street view didn't clearly show it I conducted a site visit. LOL.

Thanks for the kudos everyone on the roof. It was a challenge. I couldn't find any example pics to cheat off, so i played with various options. The one i used was the best to achieve the curve of the roof required.

At the show all the other exhibitors were also impressed and although they had seen a couple of pics, all conveyed "its better seeing it in the flesh"

Great work, cogahilla! I always enjoy seeing modulars that represent "modern" design and I think yours does a nice job capturing the real life building's key design elements and materials. I couldnt help but check out the building on google street view and it looks like the street and neighborhood is full of great looking "modern main street" style buildings that could provide inspiration for years of lego modular MOCs - if you do more, i would love to see them! Anyway, thanks for sharing cogahilla

yes there are many buildings here for a whole modern street scene. In fact I did plan to built the entire joint townhouse development (16,18,20) but settled on 16 & 20, with 20 having slightly changed colours). I prefer modern buildings, over older styling, unusual for someone with an architectural background (I'm an architectural draftsmans by training, but now work on airports). Probably because old her is 40yrs old not 100+. I have a few other project in the pipeline, again based on real buildings.

The curved roof is excellent! and the entire MOC looks like the source building. I like how you've 'shown your work' alongside images of the MOC.

And finally I think anyone who has displayed works in public will recognise the excess damage in transit on the return trip home.

I like to drawup the building first to ensure I can get the sense of scale right. At the show I used my tablet on a slideshow showing the real pics, it was a good move as patrons were able to appreciate the various building techniques used. My street scene at home looks like an earthquake has struck with many buildings in various stages of damage.

That is one crazy looking block, It's called Legoland for a good enough reason, I see. I like that Da Vinci mural you made.

Hopefully at some point I'll be able to made the mural out of parts instead of a print. Yeah when i showed a friend the model she immediately commented Varsity Lakes (the actual suburb)

Great looking frontage 'cogahilla'......planning to rebuild it with floors and interior ?

Brick On 'cogahilla' ! :grin:

I'd like to but floor plates are in extremely short supply.

Thanks all again.

This is beautiful, and an excellent representation of the real building. Love the modern look to it, and love how you did the roof.