Sign in to follow this  
exotrator

The Pirates of San Pedro

indexed.gif Vig. 47d

Here's my Large entry....

1785, San Pedro, Cuba.

Captain Bartholomew Thorne, the most notorious pirate in the caribbean, plans to build a fleet large enough to control the caribbean. But to do this, he'll need a base of operations. He figures the best place to build this stronghold is San Pedro, a small Spanish colony.

He sends his best men in to sneak into and take control of the fort, while the rest of his crew wreaks havoc on the village below... :jollyroger:

3070788661_f53e934380_o.jpg

3071625052_3805a24884_o.jpg

3071625426_e051b90a72_o.jpg

3071625718_fba7d7a536_o.jpg

3071624746_2ec14aebb6_o.jpg

3071625936_e06e5d84c9_o.jpg

Some more pics here...

I'd just like to thank Mister oo7 for his help, support, encouragement. I'd also like to thank my friend Chris who let me borrow his blue bricks. :pir-classic:

This is also my first pirate MOC, so don't be too harsh! :pir-tongue:

Thanks for looking! ~ Exo

Edited by SlyOwl

That's just a beautiful entry Exotrator. :pir-cry_happy:

There are so many things that are great, so I'll take it in sections.

The Village

Simply put, the buildings are perfect in my opinion. I have never seen such nice roofs in a MOC, the colors are simply gorgeous, especially the dark orange.

The plants climbing up the walls add a lot both in contrast and in design, and the battle in the village is well done. I like the combination of tan and dark tan for the sand.

The Water

Lovely SNOT water. :pir-classic: Your little waves really add a lot and look great, although it might have looked nice to include them on the left side as well.

The bridge that crosses over to the fort is perfect with all of the little detailing and curves.

The Fort

This is a wonderful fort. It has so many subtle details like the cannon holes in the wall and the great dark green leaves growing up the side.

My favorite part of it has to be the bell. The arch over it is stunning. There's lots of exciting action going on in the whole entry.

Lastly, great work with tiling all of the base, it really takes your entry to the next level.

===========================================================

There's really nothing wrong with your entry, but here are a few suggestions that could make it even better.

A few improvement ideas:

1) The rocks around the fort look great, but I feel that they are a bit boxy, as they are in a perfect square. I think it would look much better if they were more uneven.

2) Your waves look great, but it would be nice if you made them on the left side of the water as well.

====================================================================

Your entry is just brilliant, and is certainly one of my favorite large ones. Next time though, you might want to post it a few days ahead of the deadline just in case. :pir-tongue:

Fantastic work and good luck! :shark:

My opinion:

I think this is one of the best entries yet! I am truly happy you are still allowed to contest in the PTV 'game'.

Your fortress is just plain fantastic, and your beach looks marvelous as well.

The bell is original as well, it has only been used in a very limited ammount of MOCS and perhaps in no singel PTV entries at all!

Possible improvements:

1) I don't know the big paddles of that little boat look good, I think smaller standard paddles look better. Are they LEGO btw?

2) Use larger pictures (800x600 = max), that way everyone can have a better look at everything!

3) Add more details to the water, like more waves and perhaps some rocks in the water.

1) I don't know the big paddles of that little boat look good, I think smaller standard paddles look better. Are they LEGO btw?

I believe they are from a Viking set, amongst others.

Ah yes, here: Bricklink part entry.

very nice entry ^^ that's cool that you were allowed to post it "a little late", I wish you good luck for the contest^^

I love your fort!

Excellent work exotrator!! The tiles on the roof of the building look awesome. Nice action scene going on in the village too. From your flickr link I see there is much detail going on inside the buildings too! Lots of nice touches all over. WOW!!

I don't have any scathing criticism to help you make this better. However I will mention that this is by far my favourite Large entry by far (yes better than Nadroj) I wasn't surprised to here that a great MOCer like oo7 helped out on this project.

I love the roofing colours, I will have to track down some orange 1 x1s now. The water looks good and the sloping walls of the fort are nicely constructed. The yellow bell looks very striking too.

Cheers and good luck.

This is fantastic, I love them, and I like very much of the roofs and the colors combination, my congratulations exotrator, great job, but I have a question, you entry in the contest, I ask this because this post begins are 1:04 AM of 1st of December, and the contest finish in 30th of November. :pir-sceptic:

This is fantastic, I love them, and I like very much of the roofs and the colors combination, my congratulations exotrator, great job, but I have a question, you entry in the contest, I ask this because this post begins are 1:04 AM of 1st of December, and the contest finish in 30th of November. :pir-sceptic:

There was some confusion with the timezones, so we allowed entries to be posted for an extra 24h. But by now that time is over and the contest is closed for good.

This is a perfectly sound job, and even the color of water - dark blue and light blue - even this carefully! :jollyroger: In truth, surprising the same plausibility - for example inclined stone wall, as well as plants on them, algae, as I understand it, as well as white foam. So it is surprising and the amount of detail! :pir-oh: Just no words. This is ideal. :thumbup:

Hey nice work! I like the water hitting the rocks making the white caps on the water. Nice touch. The castle has a great look with the angled walls. I'm not sure what to suggest but I like the overall look and appearance. Lot's of great pillaging action! Keep up the good work & good luck. :pir-sweet:

*Stunned*

Great entry! A fantastic creation with loads of details and interesting techniques. I truely like the bell with the arch over it. The shacks in the village looks so realistic with that roofs. I saw your 12 pound cannons in another thread and they look great too. This is absolutely one of the best entries I've seen so far, not bad for your first entry :pir_laugh2:

Good luck on the contest!

Brilliant work.

Every so many fantastic details. A great entry into PTV.

I know it's made of this.

And this

But I don't know the actual technique how to combine them into a bell.

Hope that might help! :pir-blush:

Its actually one of these.

The only way I could think is using Bluetack or glue.

Unless theres a small wedge to clip it on too, However it will have a bit of strain and may snap.

Its actually one of these.

The only way I could think is using Bluetack or glue.

Unless theres a small wedge to clip it on too, However it will have a bit of strain and may snap.

No glue or anything is used. There was a topic posted showing how it is done but i can't seem to find it.

But it's a 1x1 brick with studs on 5 sides with a rubberband around it in the dome and the plate attached to that.

Hope that helps?

No glue or anything is used. There was a topic posted showing how it is done but i can't seem to find it.

But it's a 1x1 brick with studs on 5 sides with a rubberband around it in the dome and the plate attached to that.

Hope that helps?

The topic is here.And here's Dano's pictures

2555778651_1be75a52dc_o.jpg

I discovered a minifig head will also work:

3359596049_39485fb6ac.jpg

Instead of a brick with rubber band, a head with normal male hair and Technic half pin also works.

My eye fixed on the bell immediately, very good how you made it (with the arch), I also like the roofs, and their colours. The fire looks great as well, you even made the roof in fire colour and in black for a small part, great details! As some other people have said before, the high rock-mountain thing is a bit too smooth, but for the rest it's just great :pir-classic: