Finally we have some new pictures of the Technic flagship for year 2012. It is time to open a new topic and discuss some of them here.

6808554253_7010f17c4f_z.jpg

The box.

6808554651_cf370c56b6.jpg

Crawler.

6808554943_bfa5db360c.jpg

6808554545_51b391f698_z.jpg

And a video:

Edited by Povratnik

I have been watching the video, and noticed this panel. Is it maybe new Technic Panel Plate 1 x 3 x 11?

6808554385_fc3d1edb9e_b.jpg

I don't like the color of it,but i look forward to getting it. :sweet:

Edited by Alasdair Ryan

Agree.. I would have rather seen the entire vehicle with the Orange/Black Combo..

Edited by Paul Boratko

seeing the white panels in the back makes me wish lego had more of the other panels in white :c there is definitely torque in this model for once lego has made a rc that can actualy go up a slopes an inclines those axles are really large. One thing i'm really curious about is how the steering motors work cause when i tried giving one of my models 4w steer it crab walked when steering.

I have been watching the video, and noticed this panel. Is it maybe new Technic Panel Plate 1 x 3 x 11?

That looks like the one(in yellow) that showed up in the prototype pictures of the unimog...

It look like the same as what was on one of the protype Uni mogs

From the video, this moves and steers much better than I expected(my expectations based off of the current power functions motors performance).... I am sure that I may be alone here(or maybe not) but I absolutely hate stickers... Especially when they are used to define one color running into another color...

mmm, I can't help but looking at this set seeing it as a bunch of beams and panels with just a few (indeed interesting) new PF-options.

But I remember that, as a kid, RC-cars bored me after about 5 mins, and the building process doesn't seem quite appealing too. So this one I'm gonna pass...

I absolutely hate stickers

I do partly share your opinion,i used to add the stickers but thay end up cracking,and over time i break the models for parts.

Going back on track i do look forward to geting this set.:sweet:(Have i said that already ? :blush:)

I do partly share your opinion,i used to add the stickers but thay end up cracking,and over time i break the models for parts.

Going back on track i do look forward to geting this set.:sweet:(Have i said that already ? :blush:)

I just showed the video to my wife who just arrived home from work and she is very excited to getting this set... I am also looking forward to chasing our Pug dog around the house with it... :thumbup:

It look like the same as what was on one of the protype Uni mogs

I beleive that it is still a 5 x 11. The bottom holes have pins going into the bumper.

Wonder what a sheep dog will think about it?:blush:

LOL... I don't know, but my dog is already nervous enough as it is... She is afraid of plastic soda bottles, leaves, and magazines...

One motor in the center must control the steering for both the front and rear wheels in order to avoid misalignment between 2 separate motors...

I beleive that it is still a 5 x 11. The bottom holes have pins going into the bumper.

I think you are right... :thumbup:

I can't speak for the rest of you, but I am absolutely amazed by the performance of that crawler.. default_thumbup.gif

Don't get me wrong though.. the9398 is nothing compared to what AFOL's have built, but for LEGO, this is an enormous step in the right direction. Personally, I couldn't care less about the colors of the truck (yes, they do look kind of bad), but the fact that they have built a motorized offroader that runs at a relatively quick speed and has such incredible agility is marvelous!!! I am pleasantly surprised by this, and I do credit most of the crawler's performance to the "portal hubs" which allow phenomenal after-steering gear-reduction!

Our suspicions of a new motor are confirmed?? What are those dimensions? 3 wide, 5 long, and 3-4 height?? default_wubnew.gif I can't wait to see more of those motors..

I don't know about the set though. In an alternate universe where my wallet was overflowing maybe I would buy it, but considering I already have most of the parts (except for those of unique color scheme) and 8 of the wheels (I still want those black rims though), I don't think it would be a good investment for me..

Yes, I think there is a white sticker across the bottom that makes it look like 3 x 11, but it is actually 5 x 11. That is too bad, because we know they developed a 3 x 11 part past the prototype stage (it was a real molded part, not a rapid prototype) for the Unimog, and I think it would be a good part.

I like the black wheels, and I like the opportunity to get more orange and white parts. I'm interested to know if they used the same wheel hubs or something different. The existing parts have trouble with high torque loads (like trial trucks) and I don't think LEGO would release anything that broke that often, so I wonder if there are new parts between the motors and the wheels.

I knew it, I noticed and posted about this piece! It first appeared on the first prototype of the Unimog (8110).

It looks like a 5x11 panel with a sticker to me as well. You can see the bottom holes that oppose the tops ones 5 units down. I wish we had the 3x11 panel also and in all of the good colors.

From the video, this moves and steers much better than I expected(my expectations based off of the current power functions motors performance).... I am sure that I may be alone here(or maybe not) but I absolutely hate stickers... Especially when they are used to define one color running into another color...

True, I hate stickers also. But no stickers on this crawler would make this thing look ugly because the stickers on the doors show the transition to white.

And a question, does anybody see the battery box for this thing?!

the new motor in the axle looks really weird. Otherwise i am also very impressed by the performance. i am really lookin forward to this set.

tim

The Lego guy from the video talks about "two powerful motors to manage the trail".

I wonder if there are only two motors or is there a third one for steering? I guess they have two motors just for driving and the third one to steer that beast.

I take it back it actually looks quiet good in the video,I'm impressed how it drives too,this is a great leap forward for technic I think! It's there first proper rc wheeled vehicle too :) I wonder would it be able for power puller wheels?

Can someone confirm them tires or are they new size?

I didn't see this thread until I replied to the other one, so I'll just copy my comment here:

Those new motors are pretty interesting, although a bit larger than I had hoped. Nice to see the steering has return-to-center. Looking at the motors used for steering, it looks like the servo motor is separate from the return to center mechanism. It looks like the two pieces fit together with a few pins.

The suspension is interesting. I don't see any panhard bar, but I guess the 6L links on each side, combined with the torque tubes, keep the axles centered. It seems like this design would create some binding, particularly when the axle is at full droop on one side and completely compressed on the other. I guess it must work ok if the designers approved it.

The color scheme is a bit crazy, but I'm liking those white 11x3 panels as well. I've been waiting a while for those, and they would be great for an upcoming moc.

I'm looking forward to new news about the drive motor.

The tire sidewalls (visible on the original post) say 94.8 x 44R, so these are the already-available 54120 "Tire 94.8 x 44 R Balloon" (used on the 8297 Off Roader).

54120.jpg

Is it possible that the colors on this 9398 4x4 Crawler prototype model is camouflaged, like automakers sometimes do with their future models? Perhaps certain colors are not yet available for the 9397, so TLG substituted other colors. The set won't be released for 6 more months, so if TLG gets negative feedback about the orange/black/white color scheme, there's time to change it. Perhaps TLG reads this Eurobricks Technic Forum and other AFOL websites. TLG, are you listening? :classic:

2010-Cadillac-BRX-001.jpg

The tire sidewalls (visible on the original post) say 94.8 x 44R, so these are the already-available 54120 "Tire 94.8 x 44 R Balloon" (used on the 8297 Off Roader).

54120.jpg

Is it possible that the colors on this 9398 4x4 Crawler prototype model is camouflaged, like automakers sometimes do with their future models? Perhaps certain colors are not yet available for the 9397, so TLG substituted other colors. The set won't be released for 6 more months, so if TLG gets negative feedback about the orange/black/white color scheme, there's time to change it. Perhaps TLG reads this Eurobricks Technic Forum and other AFOL websites. TLG, are you listening? :classic:

i highly doubt that it's camoflauged. i mean, it has stickers and everything. but, i would indeed prefer it in black and orange. ah well, it's something i could do easily.