Siegfried

User changing of Display Names for Knights+ (no longer available)

We've been considering this for a while and at last we've decided to be daring and allow one change of Display Names by members every 366 days for all ranks Knights and above. We might regret this... and if we do we'll just turn it off again. :tongue: So for members who have been around for a while and have regrets about their choice they can now change/tweak it. I know what it's like to pick a name and regret it a week later! :laugh: But do remember; choose wisely! Don't pick something that you're going to feel silly with next month.

So how is it done?

Go to your profile page, click Edit my Profile (top right corner), change to the Settings tab, the press Change Display Name.

Do note that it often remembers recent name changes whether you or staff did it. Thus if we changed your name last week you'll have to wait a year. :wink: Also, remember that you are only changing your display name. If your sign-in name is the same, it will not change, so you will still sign in using the same name you had previously, not the new one. Only staff can change your login name.

EDIT: The current board version no longer allows members to perform user name changes themselves -- changes must be requested from a member of Staff via PM.

Edited by Fugazi
Clarification

Cool feature! It's nice to be given some form of controlled freedom (even if limited for once a year). But nah, I'm gonna stick with my current one, just to be consistent with all usernames I use throughout the net. :classic:

Oh and BTW, Why 366 days? Isn't a year 365.25 days? :tongue:

Edited by KielDaMan

Cool feature guys!

So does this one change also include a change back to your original user name? So say if I was to join in smurf or muppet mania and changed my name, will I be stuck with that stupid name that only relates to a few days of silliness or will I get to change you guys be ever so kind as to change my name back to my usual?

Edited by Roncanator

So does this one change also include a change back to your original user name? So say if I was to join in smurf or muppet mania and changed my name, will I be stuck with that stupid name that only relates to a few days of silliness or will I get to change you guys be ever so kind as to change my name back to my usual?

No we wouldn't; once change is one change. We might expand this in the future but for the moment we're just allowing this so members who would normally ask staff to change their name can do it themselves. We're doing this to save time, not to create more work.

It does seem a bit unfair I know, but please look at the positives of this change rather than the negatives. :wink:

Oh and BTW, Why 366 days? Isn't a year 365.25 days? :tongue:

Because we wanted once a year but the board only supports days. People will just have to be strong and survive an extra 18 hours with Bertcantor. :wink:

Sorry if I'll sound a bit rude, but I don't actually understand people wanting to change names regularly. Why not be contented with your name? Besides, you're the one who thought of and made your name in the first place right, so why change it? Thinking of a username should be done responsibly, even if it's just in an online forum. :classic:

And correct me if I'm wrong, I think there wouldn't be many Knights and above who would change their names, as I assume these people, who have earned their statures here in EB, were mature enough to pick usernames that they knew they'll be satisfied with the rest of their stay here.

But still, this is a good feature to have especially to extreme cases where one badly needs to change their names.

Edited by KielDaMan

Wait... I'm not knight+ (yet) but I have a question: is a display name the thing underneath your icon? (ex: weighted companion walrus) :wacko:

Edited by Flare

Wait... I'm not knight+ (yet) but I have a question: is a display name the thing underneath your icon? (ex: weighted companion walrus) :wacko:

No, the display name are the usernames (like yours - Flare). Those words below the avis is a title, which is not a right, but a privilege (or a joke?) given my the mods to selected members.

Sorry if I'll sound a bit rude, but I don't actually understand people wanting to change names regularly.

Well regularly isn't the intention. I for example joined EB not planning on posting much, used a name I was phasing out, and regretted it when I ended up posting much more regular than expected.

But as a FYI, we get enough requests for name changes from Knights and above; it isn't a rare occasion.

Yes, KielDaMan is correct.

Wow, I can't believe this day finally came. there are always requests for this.

I ersonally think it's not needed but you guys are always generous.

Ironically I won't be using this. I choose wisely.default_laugh_new.gif I am Big Cam.

Same here. Cool feature, but I won't be using it. If it was two changes I might consider a temporary name like for Halloween month, but since I would have to wait until Halloween 2011 to change it back... Besides, I can't think of any other good names right now. :laugh:

Nice feature for people that aren't happy with their names, but I won't be using it anytime soon :sweet:

Dangit. :sceptic: I Wanted to capitalize my username but it wouldn't let me but then it counted as a change whenever nothing was even changed so I can't try again.

Dangit. :sceptic: I Wanted to capitalize my username but it wouldn't let me but then it counted as a change whenever nothing was even changed so I can't try again.

Only 366 days until attempt number 2.

I hope not everyone now change his name. It took me a month I was used to the idea Sinner changed his name in Siegfried. :grin:

I self choose already a simple short name with no numbers, Lego, StarWars or starwars related terms in it, so people will not thinking twice when they see my name "who was that guy again?"

I just became a Knight, but I won't be using this. I like being a ninja! :cry_happy:

You sure you don't want to add, I don't know, some proper spacing, capitalization, and punctuation? :laugh:

Goody, now the rest of us can join in future theme month changing! :thumbup:

So long as you're willing to stay changed for the next year or so.

I guess it would sure show commitment! :tongue:

:laugh: Then if you changed your name for Halloween, by the time you could change it back, it'd be time for Halloween again. :laugh:

Though for now, I think I'll add some much needed capital letters. :blush:

I took care of both of you myself.

As a general rule, if someone wants to change their name by adding much needed capital letters, you can still PM the staff and we'll probably do it without it costing you the yearly change, just don't be annoying about it and try to request anything else at the same time or you'll get a creative name change courtesy of our imaginations. :laugh:

Damn. Now I have to press the Shift key when I want to refer to ComputerBug or Professor Flitwick. :grin:

Nice feature but I don't think I'm using it. I made sure my name was good when I joined. Also I don't want to be stuck with something I don't like for a year. Thanks for including this feature! Even thought it's not helpful to me it is to many others! :sweet:

I took care of both of you myself.

As a general rule, if someone wants to change their name by adding much needed capital letters, you can still PM the staff and we'll probably do it without it costing you the yearly change, just don't be annoying about it and try to request anything else at the same time or you'll get a creative name change courtesy of our imaginations. :laugh:

Always looking out for us. :blush:

Damn. Now I have to press the Shift key when I want to refer to ComputerBug or Professor Flitwick. :grin:

Or you could just practice bad grammar and random misspellings like I always do from my phone.

Kidding, I'm getting better.

You sure you don't want to add, I don't know, some proper spacing, capitalization, and punctuation? :laugh:

So long as you're willing to stay changed for the next year or so.

No, I am fine. :tongue: