Locutis

MOC Modular Building: Schoolhouse? Apartment building? WIP!

Hi everyone!

Having a day of (literally) nothing needing to get done, I decided to take advantage of the time and build myself a new modular building. I've incorporated some design inspiration from the Fire Brigade set. As a matter of fact, this building is made exclusively of parts from the Fire Brigade (save for the masonry [brick] bricks).

So far this is only one floor. I'm not sure how high I will make it, but this is what I have for the time being:

8155293573_bd4a949755_c.jpg

8155324462_a9c72f133e_c.jpg

8155325220_547bd6523f_c.jpg

8155325970_6555baeac9_c.jpg

8155296547_2ba56f31ec_c.jpg

8155297523_67497bf96e_c.jpg

8155298195_5b39b54239_c.jpg

8155298955_fde25dac49_c.jpg

8155299797_20a214b801_c.jpg

There is no interior. I don't do interiors.

Locutis

Great MOC, 'Locutis'! You really used the brick-bricks well! :thumbup:

I can't wait to see the final project! :classic:

Looks great so far. Love the colour combination.

I think the windows at the front are fine for a school. Not so sure about the ones at the back though for a school, unless they they are for the boys and girls bathrooms (respectively, of course)?

The striping motif definitely makes it seem like an educational institution of some form. A college or university would be a perfect fit.

I do think it looks a little top heavy - the front windows are too far down the wall. I'd add another row of 2×2 windows across the top to make it more open. A bit of order in the back would necessary too, especially the continuation of the nougat (medium dark flesh) stripe.

The masonry bricks really do make a nice feature here, good work and I'm looking forward to seeing more progress.

Very nice start :thumbup: :thumbup:

I can't wait to see the rest of the modular :wink:

Great start. I don't mind the masonry bricks, but I'm not as fond of them as most people. In this situation, it adds some nice texturing to the building so it doesn't look too plain, but I feel overwhelmed with all of the masonry.

With that said, I really like the windows and the double doors. I like the two arches at the front. That really stands out to me. The stripe works really well also. I like the outer pillars on the side and middle with the windows kind of indented in.

I think this definitely looks more academia of some sort.

Keep up the good work. I can't wait to see how this progresses.

So far so good, I like this first floor, maybe will you change style for the upper level, as some city building usually do! I'll be awaiting ofr progress.

Great start, like the stripes of brick colors you've incorportated, it does look like a school so far!

Edit: It also could pass for a library. . .

Edited by Kai NRG

I thank everyone for the feedback. Do you think there is overuse of the masonry [brick] bricks above the windows, for example? Should that just be plain lego? Or does this amount of [brick] brick look good? I do have a WHOLE bunch of [brick] bricks that I've bought that I want to use in a creative way, but I don't want to make it look overused. I'm thinking of redoing the building slightly, and using the [brick] bricks for the columns mainly.

What is everyone's opinion? I'll build another for comparison side-by-side if I get 2 hours of freedom.

Thanks for all of your input, it's really appreciated. This is one of the first buildings I've decided to [MOC] build since getting back into Lego.

Locutis

my first reaction was library. So I'm going to stick with that.

Good looking building. I think there are definitely too many brick bricks though. Like someone mentioned earlier, the white windows need to be a little taller. As for the masonry bricks, maybe when you get to the light bley section you can switch to regular bricks for most of it, but still use the masonry bricks for the columns.

Good colour choices. I would perhaps increase the height of the windows or maybe add something decorative above the current ones. The fire brigade has feature im talking about. It may balance out the brick bricks in bley. As for what the building should be im still undecided! :)

I think it's fine with the amount of masonry brick you have so far, but I'd try not to include so many of them in the next level. I see the masonry bricks as some sort of 'stone work' which is common in some buildings, that have higher floors without it (more like a clean looking front). But it's up to you. :classic:

I like the brick bricks, the overall effect reminds me of a number of older buildings I've seen in the townships round about where I live. My vote is for a library btw.