cagri

Changes In Colours

LEGO Design Lab says:

Changes of color 131 and 148:

We are constantly trying to make our processes and visual color expressions more efficient and effective, and in this work we have identified a need for improvement with our colors 131 Silver and 148 Dark Metal. Both colors are only used on specific LEGO elements, and the colors have been updated several times through the years. In this case we looked for an updated visual design expression and at the same time the possibility to reduce cost, as we never were 100% satisfied. The improvement in the visual expression is only slightly changed, but we have decreased the cost in the color process. We wish to transit from the old, to the new colors as smooth as possible – as the difference in visual expression is only slightly improved. But as we never uses these colors in big surfaces, and only in details or effects, we think that the transit would course minimal fuzz.

New color – 111 goes out:

In our development of new themes and products, we also find it very useful to implement new colors as well as elements. On the same time, we keep a tight governance over our LEGO color palette, and manage a specific total of old contra new colors in the palette. In this case we decided that the coming color (name and number not official yet), should replace the existing color 111.

This transit will not take place until in the 2011 products.

Those who are confused by color ids may want to check this link:

http://www.peeron.com/inv/colors

131 - Pearl Light Gray

148 - Pearl Dark Gray

111 - Trans Black

I had noticed a slight change in 131 in my 7079 Drawbridge Defense, the sword didn't look like old pearl light gray. I'm not sure if this thing didn't take effect already? By the way I think it will be a huge mistake to change transblack, it will create havoc. We have been collecting windshields in transblack for years and now they won't mathc with coming windshileds. Is this a good idea? Am I mistaken with 111 code as transblack?

I agree, getting rid of trans-black would be a mistake. I wonder what the reasoning is, did it just suddenly become a problem?

I'd be interested to know if there was any official announcement about the change made to dark red in 2008. The new, duller colour is vastly more consistent but has lost that rich, almost glowing quality that marked the previous iteration. Needless to say, the two don't match very well in MOCs, although I can understand that Lego is more interested in current and future customers than holding onto an erratic colour.

Does Lego normally announce these changes? I've never seen this kind of topic before.

In other news, 'minimal fuzz' is my new catchphrase :tongue:

I agree, getting rid of trans-black would be a mistake. I wonder what the reasoning is, did it just suddenly become a problem?

Reading between the lines with the silver issue, cost seems to be the driving factor. Surprise surprise!

Thanks Cagri for posting this!

Does Lego normally announce these changes? I've never seen this kind of topic before.

I don't know if they normally do this, but this time they shared it with the Ambassadors.

I'd be interested to know if there was any official announcement about the change made to dark red in 2008. The new, duller colour is vastly more consistent but has lost that rich, almost glowing quality that marked the previous iteration. Needless to say, the two don't match very well in MOCs, although I can understand that Lego is more interested in current and future customers than holding onto an erratic colour.

Did they change something to the dark red? I'm building a MOC with a lot of Dark Red and I'm having problems finding bricks with consistent colors. Some dark red looks totally different than other dark red and it's giving me a headache. How on earth can I still buy dark red bricks on BL and expect to get the same color?

Bonaparte:

I notice two distinct dark reds that both came in my Café Corner in 2006. One is brighter, and the other is duller. The brighter one matches newer pieces I've got since and has the mottled texture on roof pieces. The darker one has smooth faces on roof pieces. (That CC also had two tans - one more translucenty - and two browns, again one more translucent/bright). I like the newer pieces in white in particular - before even new white could look a bit off-white. Now there is a pearly quality that while not always perfect (e.g. got some slightly off-white in my Soldiers Fort) does make for brighter pieces - hopefully these won't succumb to the old yellowing problem.

If I get more space, I will be separating out my old and new Lego pieces - not so much for colour differentiation as such (the variation is usually very slight in MOCs) but so that if I rebuild old sets, they will be using genuine old pieces - not new "bright" colours (i.e. not just talking about bley or new brown). In general I prefer the newer pieces though - easier to build with too even if not necessarily always as precise fitting.

Edited by brickzone

Well, I think it'll be a huge mistake to change trans-black as well, but I guess we'll just have to wait to see what happens.

Did they change something to the dark red? I'm building a MOC with a lot of Dark Red and I'm having problems finding bricks with consistent colors. Some dark red looks totally different than other dark red and it's giving me a headache. How on earth can I still buy dark red bricks on BL and expect to get the same color?

I'm having the same problem, it's very tough to get them all the same.

I'm not to worried about the pearl greys changing. I hardly have them in sets and TLG's plans might make them more appealing to me. AS for trans-black that's a big mistake. Most of the windscreens are trans-balck. The new ones will look awful with the old ones. Trans-clear would look awful on some SW ships. :sadnew: I hope TLG cancels these plans or the new color is very similar or I'll be one :angry: AFOL.

At least they are telling us this in advance. As people have said, color changes have occurred several times in the last five or six years without any announcement (and sometimes unintentionally), some of which were noticed by fans more than others.

The first two are rather specialized and will only affect a few parts, but trans-black would be a huge change. That's probably the single most common transparent color today, especially for larger parts.

How on earth can I still buy dark red bricks on BL and expect to get the same color?

This is what really bothers me about these color changes. Most of them are not actually considered separate colors on BL or Peeron. Determining what exactly a given BL seller is carrying can be tricky these days, as you have to look at the rest of his selection and make educated guesses on what time period his pieces came from. For large bulk orders, I tend to stick to a couple of specific sellers since I know what they have.

Edited by CP5670

But I like transblack!

Oh well, I hope they replace it with a good colour because most of my ships look their best with a transblack canopy. Maybe more clear and colourless will be produced (I am not too fond of transblue) to replace it.

Thanks for the news, Cagri. :classic: I'm fine with them adjusting these colors, as long as they still hold their pearly shine. And I'm glad it's pearl grey and dark grey, since I like metallic a lot better.

I really hate to see trans-black go, though. It's really useful for a lot of things, better than trans-clear in some cases. Like Peppermint M, I'd rather that they got rid of trans-light blue instead. Except for lightsaber blades.

There was? I haven't noticed... I'll have to compare my dark red pieces...

Also, here's a great color reference on LUGNET that I've found useful in the past. I learned the difference between medium blue and regular blue from this! :laugh:

Frankly people who care about this need to get out more. They are minor colors and it's not like they are getting rid of them, they are modifying them.

It's not like they are going "Old Blue" will now become Nu Blu" or something equally stupid.

Frankly people who care about this need to get out more. They are minor colors and it's not like they are getting rid of them, they are modifying them.

It's not like they are going "Old Blue" will now become Nu Blu" or something equally stupid.

Wouldn't call trans-black a minor color. Sure, it's pretty much a "windscreens only" color. But I think it's the most common color on windscreens today. And it seems like they're making a major change on that color as well. Considering they're talking in terms of "replacing" rather than "modifying".

Transblack - or trans brown as TLC always called it - is one of the most important colour for SW nerds. Wonder what we get instead.

But if it gets darker, I am all in.

Transblack is indeed a major colour. I would like to point out that this is not a final decision, just a thing in development. We'll see how they'll react to our comments.

Reading between the lines with the silver issue, cost seems to be the driving factor. Surprise surprise!

Why didd they even bring it into existence first place if cost so much to make it? :wacko:

Well, it's great to hear that the pearl light grey color is changing, since most pieces with that color look like they're made of cheap plastic. I don't think that pearl dark grey needs changing, though, as it looks really good for things like super battle droids and cannons. I also hate how all pearl colors have huge swirls.

I don't think that trans-black needs to be replaced. It looks great, and works really well as a "tinted" windshield.

I wonder what the replacement color will look like?

Well, I don´t really care about the pearl light gray ones, as they are mostly not needed in major quantities, like for example white or gray.

About the windscreen, they are pretty cheap on BL, so if I´ll need some in the future I´ll just order from there. :wink: Just hoping prices won´t skyrocket, but they probably won´t, as there are lots of them. They´re not exactly what you call 'rare'. :tongue:

It's not about price. When new windshield designs come, they'll be in new trans-clear so it won't match with your previous ones. Like the old gray-new gray thing...

But I would like to point out for a second time that this is not a final decision, it's just a thing in the works. Things may not change in the end. Don't get so excited or upset :)

But I would like to point out for a second time that this is not a final decision, it's just a thing in the works. Things may not change in the end. Don't get so excited or upset :)

I hope they don't. I'd be rather annoyed if the Transblack changed. It's my preferred colour.

As others have said, pearl is not an issue.

I don't think this was mentioned yet but purple has gone through a drastic change. I compared the purple on Gasgano's pod with the piece from ambush in cario and the podracer purple was practically pink compared to the piece from ambush in cario. :hmpf_bad:

I don't think this was mentioned yet but purple has gone through a drastic change. I compared the purple on Gasgano's pod with the piece from ambush in cario and the podracer purple was practically pink compared to the piece from ambush in cario. :hmpf_bad:

could you take a quick comparison shot for us computerbug? I would love to see it

could you take a quick comparison shot for us computerbug? I would love to see it

4110872026_4932053267_o.jpg

Sorry about the blurriness.

These are two different purples, I don't think it just went over a change. Its been different for a while, last time I saw the lighter purple was Professor Quirell from harry potter.

Thanks computerbug :thumbup: . Yea you are right the pod racer colour is really different to the Indy colour. I think I prefer the newer one