Cecilie

Fountain of Youth

I'm not exactly a regular poster in the Pirates forum, but after seeing the new PotC movie I've become slightly obsessed with the PotC movies, and it has brought back a lot of fond memories of playing with LEGO pirates as a child. I had been wanting to create a PotC MOC when I discovered this contest, so couldn't resist. I have chosen a scene from the end of the new movie, when they find the Fountain of Youth. It is based on only one viewing of the movie, so the movie accuracy might not be exactly perfect... Now, enough chit chat, pictures!

Jack finds the fountain:

5912775395_35e6d507df_z.jpg

Barbossa comes along:

5912775425_c301e8e936_z.jpg

Blackbeard: "You brought him!"

5912775407_3624f73659_z.jpg

Barbossa: "I'm not afraid of you this far from your ship"

And an overhead shot:

5912775383_8210d12192_z.jpg

Oh, and if I were to be so lucky as to win, I'd prefer the Mill.

It couldn't be much worse than the official LEGO version in terms of movie-recemblance, but yours is far superior in that way.

Perhaps you could make the rock of the fountain a bit more edgy as the surface it rather flat now which makes it look a bit like a fake rock.

But outside of that you did a very good job. The lighting is nice and I also like the trees.

Good luck in the contest :thumbup:

Very recognizable, some more detail on the central rock would be nice though. I like how you did those stairs, it's a detail but I like it. Good job.

As said, it can't be worse than the official one. Anyways the MOC is really nice and clean and I too miss some detail on the fontain. I think some imitation of moss could be included - some green bricks or the small leave pieces. Also I think it's a bit tall. it's been a while since I've seen the movie, but as I remember it, it was just a bit taller than human beings. Now waiting for the POTC wave 2 of LEGO, so you can enhance the MOC with some Spaniards!

Another fantastic entry for a fantastic contest! Granted I have never seen the move, but this seems to be really cool! I like the ripples in the water around Jack but I think that you should add them to Barbosa and Blackbeard when they battle. I also like the skeletons but I think that you should add some more bones around in the water ( if that's movie accurate). The lighting and black backdrop really give it that ominous feel.

That's a very nice entry! I think the trees are my favourite part. Expect it to be blogged soon.

[bloggedcp][/bloggedcp]

PS. I see that some contestants are really pushing the 32x32 rule to the limits. :pir-classic:

Great job, I like how through the different pics the scene progresses. You did a very nice job on the MOC and this is one of my favs for the contest so far!

Thanks guys for the nice comments :pir_kiss:.

Yes yes, the fountain is flat and a bit too tall. My main focus for the fountain itself was to get the shape right the way I remembered it, and my first attempt was actually even taller. Because it's only one stud wide, it's hard to add texture and have it be at least remotely solid, but I could probably have added a bit of texture with some headlight bricks. However, I actually like how it turned out, I think the smooth surface of it makes it stand out from the rocky background, and I think it's ok for the fountain to look like the rock has been polished (although a little moss wouldn't have been out of place).

I like the ripples in the water around Jack but I think that you should add them to Barbosa and Blackbeard when they battle. I also like the skeletons but I think that you should add some more bones around in the water ( if that's movie accurate).

Probably could have had som ripples around Barbossa and Blackbeard yes, but was it not forbidden to move bricks around for the different shots? And I don't remember there being bones in or around the water, but then I have only seen the movie once...

That's a very nice entry! I think the trees are my favourite part. Expect it to be blogged soon.

Wow, thanks :pir-laugh:

A very nice entry you've got there, I haven't even seen the movie yet (shame, shame) but the scene looks pretty neat, and it gives a better view on this "Fountain of Youth" then the LEGO version does.

Good luck!

I like your model very much, and the best elements in it are trees! And the shapes of coastline by the water! I think you could only improve the rocks a bit - the "rock wall" is too flat, and also you could enrich it by making it 2-coloured, dark and light gray.

I think comparing this with the Lego original set is senseless, hardly any Lego sets are better than AFOLs' MOCs, either because of unlimited quantity of parts in MOCs (unlike the original sets) or simply greater talent!

Adding some more branches "towards camera" would be a good idea, if you havan't ran out of your leaves :pir-blush:

Good luck!

Edited by Toltomeja

Great Fountain of Youth, Cecilie and way better than LEGO's attempt in the official set. :thumbup: LEGO's fountain doesn't even look close to the one in the film and to yours. You certainly got the shape right, but it's indeed a bit too big but I don't think that's a problem at all. I especially like the pathway between the trees, the trees themselves and the waterfall. The rocks are a bit too flat, perhaps a bit more greenery could look nice. A bit more bones and a little bit of plants would make the ground look less clean. I also like the colours and the lightning, there's a nice atmosphere with that amount of dark green. Nice job and good luck!

Great Looking moc, you really captured Jack's pose aswell! one comment tho, in the movie I think your tree should be overgrown pillars

also the reason for the way legos fountain of youth look is that they werent given A final image of the fountain(or just not in time) here is a concept image of a fountain of youth from the official artbook, this one looks like the one lego made:fountainconcept.jpg

Nice mood and lighting. The subtle colors and ambient light make it look like it's set on a moonlit night.