Sign in to follow this  
Zorro

Bayonets at Dawn

4485813339_405b5b4eb9_o.jpg

Bayonets at Dawn

Armies are on the war-path - from Blenheim to Bunker Hill to Balaclava, Leipzig to Lissa, Wagram to Waterloo, powder is readied, and sabres polished. And it's war - and a very unhealthy trade!

Your task is to build a battle scene, based on an actual battle, as realistically as possible. The battle should have taken place between 1450 and 1880, including Spanish Conquest in the Americas and American Civil War (but hence excluding the Boer War). Pre-1450 battles in the Americas (eg. Mayan, Inca) are also allowed, as they fit the general genre, but not medieval battles of the same era (eg. knights on horseback). All "factions" are allowed. Naturally, fantasy elements are not permissible. Any queries, just ask.

Need inspiration? Check out the MOC Indexes - in particular the Land-based MOCs - a wealth of ideas and techniques to explore.

1. The contest will run from NOW (posting time of this message!) until May 31 2010!
  2. You may continually modify and update your entry right up until the deadline
  3. One entry per member; only new MOCs
  4. You must include a short description or link to evidence of the actual battle; paintings, Wikipedia etc.
  5. Full customization is allowed, including decals, string, sails, 3rd party customs (e.g. Brickarms, Brickforge). Cutting and painting are permissible, but as the contest is judged by public vote, these may not be popular. We suggest visiting The Great Pirate Torso Library and the Sail Library Resource.
  6. No clone brands or digital entries
  7. No size or minifig limit
  8. Post 6 pictures (maximum size 800x600). You can link to an external gallery, where there are no image limitations. See these tutorials for help with resizing images and deeplinking.
  9. Important: Each entry will be posted in its own thread, like you would with a normal MOC. All entry threads are to be created in the LEGO Pirates MOCs Forum. The thread title should be the title of the ENTRY. The description of the entry thread should be "Bayonets at Dawn Contest Entry".
  10. Judging will take place by a public vote. Each person can pick their top 3 entries. This will happen by posting, not by voting in a poll.

First prize for the winner is this extensive Armybuilder's Package which will be shipped world wide and free of charge to the contest winner:

Note: Brickarms kindly donated 20 bayonets and clips and 6 rapiers to expand our Armybuilder's Package even more!

gallery_3951_85_70091.jpg

gallery_3951_85_8539.jpg

gallery_3951_85_28532.jpg

gallery_3951_85_21250.jpg

Armybuilder's Package contains:

•50 shakos (no print)

•10 tricorne hats

•2 bicorne hats

•30 red epaulettes

•30 blue epaulettes

•10 yellow epaulettes

•10 brown epaulettes

•30 cutlass

•5 pistols

•20 muskets

•10 revolvers

•20 Brickarms bayonets and clips

•6 Brickarms rapiers

Second prize is a collection of 5 brand new 8396 Soldier's Arsenal sets! Of course these will be also be shipped world wide free of charge to the second place winner!

Thanks to the kindness of Brickarms, these are also outfitted with 5 extra Brickarms bayonets and clips!

gallery_3951_85_27296.jpg

And as usual, we will also have some nice tags for the winners of this contest!

Now start building, and much luck and fun to everyone from the entire Classic-Pirates and Eurobricks Staff!

Those are GREAT prizes! And it's a very nice contest. I'm sure I'm going to participate :pir-classic:

EDIT: I suppose that sea-battles are also allowed? And small battles like skirmishes(As long as they are a bit famous)?

Edited by Admiral Croissant

Sea battles are allowed! Including custom sails, flags etc.

It doesn't matter how many soldiers are in there, we don't expect every participant has a regiment of 100+ soldiers at hand. :pir-tongue:

Good luck all! :pir-sweet:

I have 2 3 questions

1. Since this is the "Pirates" forum, I assume that Japanese Samurai type battles are out of the question, even if they fall under the time zone?

3. Vig.s are allowed right?

2. Will huge I-Have-allot-of-free-time-and-money MOCs, and vignettes compete on the same field?

If the answer to any of these questions is either yes or no, I may enter!

~Yeaaa

Loving it!

Shame it still may be a "Shiny Brick-Clear Camera" straight win contest, But I guess it's better than nothing! :pir_laugh2:

That's a pretty cool competition with pretty cool prizes. Who's sponsoring those prizes, if I may ask?

Am I allowed to do the showdown at the O.K. Corral? It took place in 1881, and was a western shootout. I guess it doesn't really fit with the contest theme, right?

That's a pretty cool competition with pretty cool prizes. Who's sponsoring those prizes, if I may ask?

The first prize is sponsored by our generous Zorro.

The second prize is as usual on Eurobricks/Classic-Pirates.com sponsored by the Sicilian mafia with whom we have good relations :pir-tongue:

Nice prizes! I might join.....................but do we sighn up somewhere, so we don`t choose each other`s battle?

Edited by General Redwater

This sounds like a very good reason for me to get myself started on that Poltava MOC I've been planning to build for over a year :pir-blush:

Or maybe I'll make some other battle, I'm not sure.

But one thing is sure, it will contain Swedish Caroleans :pir-grin:

Those are some pretty great prizes.

and I have been getting into pirates lately.

Hmmmm :pir-hmpf_bad:

My army's not very big (only a couple of sets from the 2009 line :imperialguard_commander1: )

But maybe I'll enter maybe.......

awesomebrick

Only one question:

Is it have to post 6 pictures or wll 1 be enought?

1 is enough, but as it will be a public voting at the end, only one picture usually doesn't describe all the nice aspects of your entry. :pir-classic:

Nice prizes! I might join.....................but do we sighn up somewhere, so we don`t choose each other`s battle?

You don't have to signup somewhere, you enter the contest by submitting an entry. :pir-classic:

There is a chance several participants pick the same battle to 'recreate', but there is a very small chance the end results will be exactly the same.

This sounds like a very good reason for me to get myself started on that Poltava MOC I've been planning to build for over a year :pir-blush:

Or maybe I'll make some other battle, I'm not sure.

But one thing is sure, it will contain Swedish Caroleans :pir-grin:

You can always build the sinking Vasa. :pir-tongue:

Not sure if there were Caroleans in that time though. :pir_laugh2:

Do the pictures have to be perfect? I ask this because my camera isn`t that good.

Edited by General Redwater

You can always build the sinking Vasa. :pir-tongue:

Not sure if there were Caroleans in that time though. :pir_laugh2:

There weren't, Vasa sunk in 1628 and the Carolean army were established in the 1680's. And since Vasa just sunk because of a breeze I don't believe that counts as a battle :pir-tongue: !

It's funny though, that the historical events that we swedes know about almost only is the defeats and failures. Ask any regular swede to name a historical event and it's most likely the Battle of Lützen 1632 (when our king Gustavus Adolphus was killed), Battle of Poltava 1709 (when the Carolean army was defeated), the Treaty of Fredrikshamn 1809 (when we lost Finland to Russia) or some other major fiasco. We sure love self-pitying! :pir_laugh2:

Are samurai and othe battles that were fought inJapan in that time frame be permissable? they did use muskets :pir-tongue:

Finally a contest that's my speciality :pir-skull:

Both prices would be very useful to my armies :pir-classic:

I'll be entering with a part of the battle of Waterloo, although I'll have to think about what part to portray.

Gaetano

Do the pictures have to be perfect? I ask this because my camera isn`t that good.

Thats one of the problems with standard Lego contests. If someone has a High-Def Digital Camera, lots of gadgets and macro shot, And a nice white background with super shiny polished bricks. They make their entry stick out and they win the Tournament hands down, Not that their entry isn't bad, But review nearly every contest on this forum. I bet its a clear photoed entry. :pir_laugh2:

Arrr!! How do you expect people like me with only a few redcoats and like one bluecoat to enter? :pir_laugh2::pir-tongue:

I'll try anyway, those prizes are attractive but I'm pretty sure I wont make it... :pir-hmpf_bad:

I need to do my research, this looks like a great contest. But I have a question, do the soldiers have to be 100% accurate. I want to make a battle with france, but I only have redcoats.

It shouldn't matter. France doesn't have an Army! :pir_laugh2:

"Here's something interesting for you Nicolas, an army! You won't recognize it, you don't have one in France!" - Hugh Dennis - Mock the Week