Jump to content


850423 LEGO Minifigure Display w/ Space Figure set


28 replies to this topic

#1 just2good

just2good

  • Celebrity Pants Wetter


    Posts: 4825
    Joined: 05-January 09
    Member: 4916
    Country: USA (Florida)

Posted 25 May 2012 - 10:47 PM

Posted Image
I spotted a wierd set during my LEGO store trip. I'm not sure if it has ever been posted before. It comes with a blue Classic Space figure, and the expression is this face.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edit by Rufus:

Posted Image
Official Shop@Home picture

Shop@Home Link

Edited by Rufus, 02 June 2012 - 10:40 AM.
Indexed. S@H Info


#2 The Fezter

The Fezter

    Posts: 30
    Joined: 08-February 12
    Member: 25908
    Country: United Kingdom

Posted 25 May 2012 - 10:53 PM

Yeah they're brand new for June, obviously some places haver released early. I think it's a replacement for the yellow box that holds 15 figures.
Lego Shop Employee

#3 purpleparadox

purpleparadox

    Posts: 1610
    Joined: 20-February 12
    Member: 26763
    Country: Canada

Posted 25 May 2012 - 11:04 PM

Interesting...love the classic space man, any prices?

Posted Image


#4 CM4Sci

CM4Sci

    Posts: 2603
    Joined: 18-December 11
    Member: 23274
    Country: Minnesota, USA

Posted 25 May 2012 - 11:06 PM

Neat!

-Sci

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image   Posted Image


#5 johnnyvgoode

johnnyvgoode

    Posts: 1131
    Joined: 07-August 11
    Member: 19563
    Country: Costa Rica

Posted 25 May 2012 - 11:09 PM

No dust protection?  :sceptic:

And the spaceman... I'd have preferred it to have the classic face (although I already have the original guys with the old helmets, it would still be more accurate and faithful to classic space).

#6 GeluNumber1

GeluNumber1

    Posts: 123
    Joined: 18-December 11
    Member: 23290

Posted 26 May 2012 - 03:10 AM

Looks like a cool set. One question: is the helmet a classic space helmet, or the version that can hold a visor?
Confide in me
I'm your heart after all
Trust me to be true
I am a logic seeking group of electrons

#7 Sid Sidious

Sid Sidious

    Posts: 534
    Joined: 08-October 11
    Member: 20847
    Country: United States

Posted 26 May 2012 - 03:40 AM

View PostGeluNumber1, on 26 May 2012 - 03:10 AM, said:

Looks like a cool set. One question: is the helmet a classic space helmet, or the version that can hold a visor?
They destroyed the molds for the classic space helmet years ago.  This one can hold a visor.

#8 johnnyvgoode

johnnyvgoode

    Posts: 1131
    Joined: 07-August 11
    Member: 19563
    Country: Costa Rica

Posted 26 May 2012 - 03:48 AM

View PostSid Sidious, on 26 May 2012 - 03:40 AM, said:

They destroyed the molds for the classic space helmet years ago.  This one can hold a visor.

Are you sure? I thought they were just not willing to use the old molds.

#9 Graysmith

Graysmith

    Posts: 345
    Joined: 18-January 12
    Member: 24460

Posted 26 May 2012 - 01:15 PM

Those bastardized not-really-Classic Space astronauts make me sad every time I see them.

#10 TheLegoDr

TheLegoDr

  • Yellow Panel Expert


    Posts: 3948
    Joined: 18-July 11
    Member: 19128
    Country: USA

Posted 26 May 2012 - 06:05 PM

I liked the yellow case that holds 16 figures. I wish I would have bought more! They are nowhere to be found near me these days.

The classic space is a neat concept, but I agree on having a classic smiley would be better. And I do like those classic helmets. The good ol' days.
Posted Image   Posted Image  Posted Image   Posted Image   Posted Image  Posted Image

flickr
See my collection

#11 SpacySmoke

SpacySmoke

    Posts: 75
    Joined: 22-December 10
    Member: 14822
    Country: United States

Posted 27 May 2012 - 12:39 AM

View Postpurpleparadox, on 25 May 2012 - 11:04 PM, said:

Interesting...love the classic space man, any prices?

$9.99 in the US.
SpacySmoke a.k.a. Mista-Carrot
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Support my Food Truck on Lego Ideas or visit my Flickr page!

#12 Blondie-Wan

Blondie-Wan

  • Honest as Abe


    Posts: 1734
    Joined: 17-April 09
    Member: 5831
    Country: USA

Posted 27 May 2012 - 02:05 AM

Wow, this is nifty. I do of course understand about the different helmet; they simply don't make the old design any longer (as I understand it, it was determined to be a bit too fragile, breaking at the chin strap too easily - we AFOLs may have enormous affection for it, but by TLG's standards it's apparently now considered to not meet their quality standards).

It does seem a bit odd (the construction, that is), but I guess the idea is that one would buy as many of these as one wants to be able to build a modular display unit for one's minifigures, sizable to whatever number of minifigures one wishes to display. I wonder whether anyone will actually buy huge numbers of this set and build huge display units.

#13 johnnyvgoode

johnnyvgoode

    Posts: 1131
    Joined: 07-August 11
    Member: 19563
    Country: Costa Rica

Posted 27 May 2012 - 02:17 AM

Wow, it would take about $280 bucks to put all current CMFs in one case each! I don't find this very rentable on the large scale.  :look:

Edited by johnnyvgoode, 27 May 2012 - 02:18 AM.


#14 Ricecracker

Ricecracker

  • Stormed Out


    Posts: 4654
    Joined: 25-November 07
    Member: 2221
    Country: Canada

Posted 27 May 2012 - 02:46 AM

View Postpurpleparadox, on 25 May 2012 - 11:04 PM, said:

Interesting...love the classic space man, any prices?
$11.99 CAD.

#15 purpleparadox

purpleparadox

    Posts: 1610
    Joined: 20-February 12
    Member: 26763
    Country: Canada

Posted 27 May 2012 - 04:03 AM

View PostRicecracker, on 27 May 2012 - 02:46 AM, said:

$11.99 CAD.
Awesome, thanks.

Posted Image


#16 MAH4546

MAH4546

    Posts: 151
    Joined: 01-March 07
    Member: 1413

Posted 27 May 2012 - 04:53 AM

View PostTheLegoDr, on 26 May 2012 - 06:05 PM, said:

I liked the yellow case that holds 16 figures. I wish I would have bought more! They are nowhere to be found near me these days.

The classic space is a neat concept, but I agree on having a classic smiley would be better. And I do like those classic helmets. The good ol' days.

Those cases a widely available at TRU, and now come in black, too.

#17 mrklaw

mrklaw

    Posts: 354
    Joined: 04-November 10
    Member: 14078

Posted 27 May 2012 - 08:39 AM

View Postjohnnyvgoode, on 27 May 2012 - 02:17 AM, said:

Wow, it would take about $280 bucks to put all current CMFs in one case each! I don't find this very rentable on the large scale.  :look:

And you'd have a lot or spacemen. Almost think it would have been better to have rotations of this with different minifigs, or even package it along with a bagged CMF eg from series 8

#18 Blondie-Wan

Blondie-Wan

  • Honest as Abe


    Posts: 1734
    Joined: 17-April 09
    Member: 5831
    Country: USA

Posted 27 May 2012 - 03:00 PM

View Postmrklaw, on 27 May 2012 - 08:39 AM, said:

And you'd have a lot or spacemen. Almost think it would have been better to have rotations of this with different minifigs, or even package it along with a bagged CMF eg from series 8

Hey, for some of us the Classic Spacemen are awesome, even with the newer helmets. I'd definitely like one more shot at getting a few blue spacers, so for me this is great.

#19 johnnyvgoode

johnnyvgoode

    Posts: 1131
    Joined: 07-August 11
    Member: 19563
    Country: Costa Rica

Posted 27 May 2012 - 05:45 PM

View Postmrklaw, on 27 May 2012 - 08:39 AM, said:

And you'd have a lot or spacemen. Almost think it would have been better to have rotations of this with different minifigs, or even package it along with a bagged CMF eg from series 8

Different choices of figs could be interesting. I for one would like to have all 5 color variations of the new classic spacemen, even though I own the original ones.

#20 Oky

Oky

  • RA Anniversary Baker and a Quidditcher


    Posts: 8771
    Joined: 02-October 07
    Member: 2028
    Country: USA

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:23 PM

I like the idea behind this. I never liked the idea of spending money on something Lego related that isn't really Lego, such as minifig display cases, so a display case made out of Lego makes much more sense to me. Can anyone confirm that these are not glued? It says it's a 89-piece building toy on the front, and the pieces in the built model don't seem as perfectly attached as they usually are on glued models, but the odd fact that it comes pre-assembled makes me suspicious. :sceptic:

View PostMAH4546, on 27 May 2012 - 04:53 AM, said:

Those cases a widely available at TRU, and now come in black, too.
I think he's talking about the official one, not the TRU ones, although that one is still available too, at least online. :shrug_confused:

#21 TheLegoDr

TheLegoDr

  • Yellow Panel Expert


    Posts: 3948
    Joined: 18-July 11
    Member: 19128
    Country: USA

Posted 29 May 2012 - 11:42 PM

I was actually talking about these. The official one looks nice, but only holds 15 instead of 16 which is really silly on TLG's part. The case I linked to was widely available last fall and then they disappeared. I would never pay almost double from a 3rd Party Reseller. And I couldn't find them at TRU which is only a slight mark-up compared to the people at Amazon marketplace. Oh well..

The single display stand might be nice, but it does seem pricey to get enough of them to actually use.
Posted Image   Posted Image  Posted Image   Posted Image   Posted Image  Posted Image

flickr
See my collection

#22 BrixKix

BrixKix

    Posts: 34
    Joined: 07-August 11
    Member: 19570

Posted 30 May 2012 - 03:49 AM

The use of a single display is very nice as well as quite useful, but the lack of a dust protector lessens there value to me. Never the less I might pick one up, because they could serve many worth while purposes.  :classic:

#23 Blondie-Wan

Blondie-Wan

  • Honest as Abe


    Posts: 1734
    Joined: 17-April 09
    Member: 5831
    Country: USA

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:56 AM

View PostOky, on 29 May 2012 - 10:23 PM, said:

I like the idea behind this. I never liked the idea of spending money on something Lego related that isn't really Lego, such as minifig display cases, so a display case made out of Lego makes much more sense to me. Can anyone confirm that these are not glued? It says it's a 89-piece building toy on the front, and the pieces in the built model don't seem as perfectly attached as they usually are on glued models, but the odd fact that it comes pre-assembled makes me suspicious. :sceptic:

Where are you getting the info that it's preassembled - do you just mean the portion of it we see through the package window? If that's it, I suspect it's just that small portion of the set that comes pre-assembled, and the rest of it is in the usual bags of bricks floating around in the box.

It reminds me of some old-style packages, when certain elements in a set would be showcased by showing them in little form-fitted depressions in a clear plastic tray over the rest of the contents. Sometimes those would include preassembled minifigures and perhaps other submodels, but the parts weren't glued. I'd guess this is like those.

#24 toycardriver

toycardriver

    Posts: 51
    Joined: 15-July 11
    Member: 19046

Posted 31 May 2012 - 02:15 PM

One of the cases is pre assembled in the package. The rest are in a bag in the box,  with the clear elements in their own special bag.

#25 ETAV8R

ETAV8R

    Posts: 298
    Joined: 08-May 11
    Member: 17717

Posted 31 May 2012 - 03:26 PM

View PostBlondie-Wan, on 27 May 2012 - 03:00 PM, said:

Hey, for some of us the Classic Spacemen are awesome, even with the newer helmets. I'd definitely like one more shot at getting a few blue spacers, so for me this is great.
This is pretty cool and since I don't own a blue Classic Spaceman I'd pick this up if I see it in store.


View PostTheLegoDr, on 29 May 2012 - 11:42 PM, said:

I was actually talking about these. The official one looks nice, but only holds 15 instead of 16 which is really silly on TLG's part. The case I linked to was widely available last fall and then they disappeared. I would never pay almost double from a 3rd Party Reseller. And I couldn't find them at TRU which is only a slight mark-up compared to the people at Amazon marketplace. Oh well..

The single display stand might be nice, but it does seem pricey to get enough of them to actually use.
I picked up one of these in black at TRU and was surprised it was only about 22USD. I would get more in black if they show up. Great way to display minifigs and keep em clean at the same time.



Reply to this topic



  


1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users