On a scale of 1 to 5  

57 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• 1 - Poor
    • 2 - Below Average
    • 3 - Average
    • 4 - Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding

We I haven't seen a review of this set yet so I thought I'd go ahead and produce one, though I haven't done one in quite a while so I'll no doubt be a tad rusty so apologies in advance!

Set Name: Undercover Cruiser

Set Number: 5983

Number of Pieces: 317

Figures:2

Released: 2010

List Price: £24.99 (GBP) .

5983 Peeron.com

5983 Bricklink Catalog

So the Space police have decided to go undercover, to me it looks quite like a q-ship. I noticed some complaints about its lack of undercoverness when the first images came out so lets see if its any better in real life.

Lets us begin with the box.

5983-01.jpg

The ships in attack mode.

5983-02.jpg

Here you get to see the conversion

Now lets have a look inside the box, not as much Danish fresh air as Star Wars sets but still quite a lot.

5983-03.jpg

The contents of the box.

5983-04.jpg

A quick look at the instruction booklet.

5983-05.jpg

Time to have a look at the sticker sheet.

Time to delve into the first bag, bag 1.

5983-06.jpg

The Minifigs

Only two, I do feel the Space Police sets are a tad on the stingy side when it comes to Minifigs. That said I do like the space police officer the new helmet is very nice as we discovered in January. Jawson has cropped up a lot now in this wave of space police and I'd quite like to see another alien rather than him in every summer set.

5983-07.jpg

Front.

5983-08.jpg

Side.

Bag 1 Model.

It's not the most amazing ship ever produced by TLG and you do get the feeling that it's only there to add play value to the Undercover Cruiser but it's better than I would have expected. While it does have two blasters and two flick missiles, it does make me wonder who well armed ships are in the Space police world if this can easily take on a cargo ship. I mean I couldn't see it taking a Blacktron Marauder could you?

5983-09.jpg

Side.

5983-10.jpg

Overhead view.

Time for bag two.

5983-11.jpg

5983-12.jpg

Part way through the bag build

So with the the model part way completed we can have a look at the ship in action mode, I think to a certain degree this looks like a completed set, and if it was it would be alight but nothing very special.

5983-13.jpg

Side view.

5983-14.jpg

Overhead view

On to bad three.

The third bag containes just the engine block for the ship we've already built so just two quick pictures, one of the police side the other of the cargo ship side.

5983-15.jpg

5983-16.jpg

Police view

5983-17.jpg

Cargo ship view.

So time to put it all together and see what it looks like, I have to say I'm impressed considering that a number of the early space police set didn't close properly and weren't the best designs ever the fact that this changes so well between police and cargo ships shows how far we've come.

First a look at the ship in police combat mode it's well armed, it does seem to have more weapons than the Galactic enforcer had.

5983-18.jpg

Police side

5983-19.jpg

Police overhead

Now lets look at the ship in cargo mode, it looks like a rather boring and unimportant cargo ship the transformation while not amazing is impressive you wouldn't know it was about to shoot you if you decided to attack it.

5983-20.jpg

Cargo ship above.

5983-21.jpg

Cargo ship front

5983-22.jpg

Cargo ship side.

The Rating System

Figures: 6/10 (Not a bad selection, but I feel Jawson is to overused)

Parts 7/10 (A limited selection of parts.)

Fun Fun Fun 8/10 (I like the conversion, though it's not well balanced for swooshing)

Design 10/10 (Can’t fault Lego on the design on the main ship)

Price 7/10 (£24,99, I was expecting more and I'm more than happy to pay this for this set.)

Grand Total 38/50 (Seems a bit low to be, maybe its more than the sum of its parts.)

Conclusions

When the set first appeared, I like many people wasn't that impressed, it hardly looked like an undercover ship it was covered in Space Police logos and so on. Yet now I've got it in my hand I can see why its called that and that TLG did a great job on brining the concept to life while I think q-ship would be a far better description of it rather than its name. The secondary vehicle isn't that impressive and personally I;'d rather they'd junked that and lowered the price point, but we can't have everything. Overall I think it's a good set and it's something different rather than the same sort of space police sets we've been seeing over the years just with a different twist on the,

5983-23.jpg

Edited by WhiteFang
Edited title from Revoew to Review

Nice revoew! ( :tongue: )

I never really had an interest in this set. The minifigures aren't unique and the ship is kinda weird-looking.

Edited by just2good

I agree about the alien, he's annoying. :sceptic: I don't think I'll get this, I'm saving for other things.

Why is it only Space sets have arrows to tell you what to do when your brain falls out?

Excellent, thanks for reviewing this set Cardinal Brick, I've been waiting for a chance to get a better look at it.

Incidentally, where in the UK did you buy this set from? Was it from a Lego brand store or another retailer? I'm trying to confirm whether or not SP3 is still a Lego exclusive or not. I've been told by staff at Lego.com that they should be available at Argos etc.

Edited by KurttKrueger

Thanks for the review 'Cardinal Brick' - interesting design - I prefer the cargo ship look than the police ship look though !

The alien ship - a bit well he must have 'balls' so to speak to take this one on with that tiny craft !

Funny how Lego are try to do transforming sets now, this one in SP3 and one comming up in Atlantis !

I'm a conformist! everyone ! :sweet:

Thanks for this fantastic review! It's an okayish set, definitely not one of the best in the theme, but still rather spiffing.

The cockpit looks a bit rubbish though, but I suppose it would have been difficult to get a better cockpit and still have a smooth transformation. Oh well, can't have everything.

I too would like to know where you got this set. Since the sets have only just surfaced on S@H, and with SP3 being confined to Lego stores and Online, then it's logical to assume you got this from a Lego store?

SP3 is my favourite theme, and living in the UK has made it very difficult for me to aquire the sets - I can't shop online and live miles away from any Lego store of any description, so I hope you somehow found this somewhere like, say Argos or Toys R' US

Anyway, despite making a tad depressed at my slim chances of owning this set, this is still a good review.

Will/Rocketbilly

I like this set, but not as much as the other SPIII sets. I think the changing feature is great :thumbup:

Thanks for this fantastic review! It's an okayish set, definitely not one of the best in the theme, but still rather spiffing.

The cockpit looks a bit rubbish though, but I suppose it would have been difficult to get a better cockpit and still have a smooth transformation. Oh well, can't have everything.

I too would like to know where you got this set. Since the sets have only just surfaced on S@H, and with SP3 being confined to Lego stores and Online, then it's logical to assume you got this from a Lego store?

SP3 is my favourite theme, and living in the UK has made it very difficult for me to aquire the sets - I can't shop online and live miles away from any Lego store of any description, so I hope you somehow found this somewhere like, say Argos or Toys R' US

Anyway, despite making a tad depressed at my slim chances of owning this set, this is still a good review.

Will/Rocketbilly

If it helps, I've been assured by two different Lego shop@home staff that SP3 is no longer a Lego.com exclusive, and should be showing up in other retailers fairly soon.

Heres hoping Argos and TRU have them.

Thanks for this review!

This set gets points from me for trying something unique within the SPIII line. Instead of just giving us another ship with a new record amount of flick-fire missiles attached, TLC gave us an interesting ship with transforming capabilities. While the Galactic Enforcer could be split into smaller pieces which could then be mixed and matched, this Undercover Cruiser takes a new approach for providing 'multiple models' from the same kit. Undercover cops are something we are all aware of in real life, so it's neat to see them acknowledged in the SP universe as well. For those who are interested in the Lunar Limo, the Undercover Cruise is a perfect complimentary set.

I can't help but get the feeling that the ship has no prison containment pod, but is extremely well armed as to simply blow baddies away instead of catching them. :tongue:

I considered picking this set up as it was on sale for 20% off, but instead opted to go for more creator houses which were also on sale. I plan on grabbing the Police HQ in the near future, and I may have to get this set to go along with it.

If it helps, I've been assured by two different Lego shop@home staff that SP3 is no longer a Lego.com exclusive, and should be showing up in other retailers fairly soon.

Heres hoping Argos and TRU have them.

Thankyou!

That is promising news indeed! I wonder then, if that really is the case, we'll be getting some of the older SP3 sets too, or just these new releases? I mean I can't really see TRU just stocking three pretty expensive sets. Having said that, I'd rather have just the three than no sets at all any day, I just think it would be nice to be able to pick up a Raid VPR or even Squidman Escape.

Will/Rocketbilly

Nice review and great job on the pictures!

I'm not sure about the set...the design is a bit unorthodox and sort of reminds me of the podracers from The Phantom Menace, haha. I might get it if it's on sale or something, hmmm.

Nice review, Cardinal Brick! :thumbup: I was considering this set before, but I was turned away from it when I saw one Shop at Home reviewer's complaints of instability.

-Blue connector pin doesn't keep ship in flight mode 1. (easily fixed with black connector pin)

-Doesn't stand up straight in hover mode. (back wings can prop it up, but it stays tilted a little)

Shop at Home link

Did you experience similar problems? :sceptic:

-Toa Of Justice

Thanks for the review cardinal brick! 2 thumbs up for creativity. And for those wondering, yes TRU has the new wave available. I wonder whats with the transformation of vehicles lately, in atlantis and sp3; I think someone mentioned that already. We need those atlantis reviews people!

Nice review. Great Job! I think it is a pretty model, and I hope I can get one soon too.

My only concern is boxes should be smaller, so not to be so empty... :hmpf_bad:

Thanks for the comments everyone, it's nice to hear what other people think aswell.

Incidentally, where in the UK did you buy this set from? Was it from a Lego brand store or another retailer? I'm trying to confirm whether or not SP3 is still a Lego exclusive or not. I've been told by staff at Lego.com that they should be available at Argos etc.

Lego Brand store in Bluewater which despite it being half term (how I don't miss working half term in a museum) doesn't look like it's been raided by locusts for once. Apart from that sadly I don't know where it'll be

Nice review, Cardinal Brick! :thumbup: I was considering this set before, but I was turned away from it when I saw one Shop at Home reviewer's complaints of instability.

Did you experience similar problems? :sceptic:

No problems like that, I didn't think that the blue pin would work but it works fine on mine and when you transform it the wings and command center (ok a bit ott I know) click and lock in so the only bit that isn't rigid is that back. Hope that helps

PS I gave it quite a good shake!

Thanks for the nice review, I was hesitating about picking up this set and this helped me make up my mind.

It would have been nicer to see another alien instead of Jawson, but the transformation feature is cool! :thumbup:

Thanks for this nice review, Cardinal Brick!

I didn't know about the conversion option untill a couple of days ago, so it's nice to see it in detail in your review. I think it is a quite innovative element in recent space sets and maybe TLG could include more such features (without exagerating) in future ones.

No problems like that, I didn't think that the blue pin would work but it works fine on mine and when you transform it the wings and command center (ok a bit ott I know) click and lock in so the only bit that isn't rigid is that back. Hope that helps

Thank you for the review. This set is the most awaited set for me from SP III 2010 collection. It's clearly the most futuristic and unconventional SP III spaceship. The transformation feature is also something different from the usual split function of many Lego spaceships.

However I still didn't understand exactly -when in SP mode- if it can stand on its engine module or it will fall on its back... this is crucial because as an adult collector I would have it displayed and I'd like to know if it can stand with the fuselage in the air and parallel to the ground. I guess that also children after swooshing it around they would want to have it properly landed. Can someone give me a responsible answer to this, please? :blush:

PS I gave it quite a good shake!

Thanks for answering my question, Cardinal Brick. :classic: That's good to know. Perhaps that reviewer I pointed out earlier built the model wrong or had a defective/missing part. When you say that the back isn't rigid, is that in police or cargo mode? Also, in which direction does the back part flex?

-Toa Of Justice

Nice review. I think I'll pick this up when it comes to NZ. Not so sure about that cone/nose piece in front of the ship tho. Might just leave it out in my build.

However I still didn't understand exactly -when in SP mode- if it can stand on its engine module or it will fall on its back... this is crucial because as an adult collector I would have it displayed and I'd like to know if it can stand with the fuselage in the air and parallel to the ground. I guess that also children after swooshing it around they would want to have it properly landed. Can someone give me a responsible answer to this, please? :blush:

It doesn't, it falls over backwards. Looks ridiculous fallen over. UNLESS... you fold the back part down like a motorbike kick-stand. This is not in any picture I've seen, as all of them have the back folded up in line with the cockpit part. It looks fine bent down for display or landed, but I would have it up when in flight for play. You could put some clear perspex under the back to hold it up if you really wanted, though.

I bought this set the moment I (finally) saw it in a shop. When I first saw photos, (that didn't show the undercover mode) I wasn't looking forward to it. As soon as the transformation was revealed a month or two ago I was very keen on it. I really like this set, and I'm GLAD it only has Jawson, and not another new alien. Bad guys need henchmen, they can't all be different and exclusive. Plus it brings down his price on Bricklink! It's expensive for what it is, but it's a fun set to build, look at & play with.

Some obs: this and Gold Heist are the biggest SP (1, 2 & 3) ships/vehicles without a prison pod. I don't see it as a negative, after all, the Galactic Enforcer makes up for it with 4!

The mini Jawson ship is much more "solid" than the previous SP3 sets' secondary craft - some of them are little more than flying carpets with handles, this one could be sold separately as a cheap set.

One of my disappointments about SP3 in general is that it's difficult to get bunches of the same vehicle without having to put up with all the extra stuff that comes in that set. (eg if you want 5 of those jetski looking hoverbike things, you get 5 Squidmans too ... you want 3 of the police ships from hyperspeed pursuit, you get stuck with 3 of the BHG ships and 6 Skull "Twin" minifigs too ... however if you want 4 Rebel Hunters, you simply buy 4 Rebel Hunters.) But this set you could buy a few of, you could have a handful of undercover ships in convoy, and you could have a handful of the smaller ship too without having to make up some silly story about why.

Not as many as last years' sets had, but I'm still not keen on putting stickers on a set.

A MUST HAVE for SPACE, SPACE POLICE or SPACE POLICE III fans/collectors. You young fellas, save your money now and buy it cheap in 10 or 20 years time off ebay like I've done with most of my lego, haha, because this set is expensive for what it is.

It doesn't, it falls over backwards. Looks ridiculous fallen over. UNLESS... you fold the back part down like a motorbike kick-stand. This is not in any picture I've seen, as all of them have the back folded up in line with the cockpit part. It looks fine bent down for display or landed, but I would have it up when in flight for play. You could put some clear perspex under the back to hold it up if you really wanted, though.

Thank you for the detailed answer, Artanis I. It goes without saying that I'm a bit disappointed, I think it would look really cool if it could actually stay on its engine module. Maybe it looks ok on it's wings, if they can fold this way, as you describe... But I'd like a suspended look more... I could probably modify the front to make it heavier (though that would be difficult without destroying the nice design and the folding function, or I could mount it on a baseplate, then it might be able to stand. Transparent bricks could be also a solution, but you cannot entire avoid the prop look... :sceptic:

A MUST HAVE for SPACE, SPACE POLICE or SPACE POLICE III fans/collectors. You young fellas, save your money now and buy it cheap in 10 or 20 years time off ebay like I've done with most of my lego, haha, because this set is expensive for what it is.

I checked the price in LEGO Shop and for most European countries the price is €29.99, exactly same with the Container Heist, but it has more pieces (317 to 282) and a very nice design and function, so honestly speaking it doesn't seem very expensive to me. I mean... hey, with over 300 pcs, in the old Space days, this would be considered a rather large set and nowadays it sells like a below average model :classic:

Thank you for the detailed answer, Artanis I. It goes without saying that I'm a bit disappointed, I think it would look really cool if it could actually stay on its engine module. Maybe it looks ok on it's wings, if they can fold this way, as you describe... But I'd like a suspended look more... I could probably modify the front to make it heavier (though that would be difficult without destroying the nice design and the folding function, or I could mount it on a baseplate, then it might be able to stand. Transparent bricks could be also a solution, but you cannot entire avoid the prop look... :sceptic:

I have an idea for you. Would you consider making a special landing stand (like the one for the 2006 B-wing Fighter) for displaying your Undercover Cruiser? It may look like a prop, but if it's built right, it would look like part of the set.

-Toa Of Justice

I have an idea for you. Would you consider making a special landing stand (like the one for the 2006 B-wing Fighter) for displaying your Undercover Cruiser? It may look like a prop, but if it's built right, it would look like part of the set.

-Toa Of Justice

Hmm... not a bad idea... not bad at all... Funilly enough, although I have only a handful of 2000's Lego sets, I do own this B-Wing fighter. It was the very first I bought as an adult after a 17 year break :laugh:

But it would take some skill and inspiration to make a landing stand that looks good and doesn't interfere with the design of the main ship. And I don't have so many modern bricks, as most of my Legos are vintage Space from the 80's :sceptic:

Anyway, I may give it a try. I first have to purchase the set. I checked all European countries available in LEGO shop and Germany is one of the 2-3 countries only where the set is not available yet! :angry: