Alfadas

Would you like the Vikings theme to return?

Just as the title says, would you like the vikings back? If yes, in what form? Like the last time with horned helmets and dragons and catapults? Or more realistic? I want them to be more realistic, with different helmets, different shield designs, of course the viking long ship, maybe a long house. And of course a lot of vikings, viking woman, kids, and more historical accurate stuff.

I also don't mind the vikings comeback with the dragons and snakes and wolves, as long as they return! I love vikings! :grin:

What is your opinion?

Yes, please! I would love to have some Vikings and their ships. I'm not too concerned with historical accuracy thus dragons would be great too. With the belief that Smaug will be molded, I was already hoping the TLG would use it somewhere else. It has been awhile since vikings have sailed the lego seas.

I missed the Vikings theme due to my dark ages. I wouldn't mind seeing them return. I'm still partial to the regular medieval castle sets though. But something different wouldn't hurt. A long house would be cool, I love structures. But when you think of Vikings you think of ships. Plenty of those would be best.

I would like to see this theme return-perhaps with a brick-build longship, a longhouse and more realistic vikings.

And perhaps each set could include a leaflet about vikings.

One thing that should be the same as the older theme, though, are the price-to-piece's :sweet:

I prefer moulded creatures to brick-built ones, so was never super fond of the Vikings monsters. That said, I do have the Nidhogg dragon from set 7017 in my display collection.

I also thought that the Viking helmets sat too high on the minifig heads. They were designed that way to accommodate the horns but I would have preferred a smaller horn and attaching pin, similar to how plumes connect with helmets in the Castle line.

To answer the OP, a return to a fantasy version of the Vikings would be cool. But a new line based on Greek mythology would be even cooler.

LEGO had a viking theme ? :O

Could someone please link to which sets we are talking about ?

I would love to se a viking theme for sure.

A guy at Copenhagen LEGOworld had made quite a diorama of Asterix in the fanzone there. I would love something similar for sure. :)

LEGO had a viking theme ? :O

Could someone please link to which sets we are talking about ?

Well, it was only 7 sets :cry_sad: , I got them all, they were the sets that really gotten me into Lego. Here is the brickset link.

I remember it. It was 2005, summer. We (Mom, dad, sis and me) went to Legoland Billund for the first time. Vikings everywhere. I got the three small sets there, and the others followed quickly afterwards. Hours, no weeks of non-stop shooting the catapults, destroying the fortress, building it again, knocking vikings of their feet, kill the dragons (Nidhogg got beheaded so often, the head won't fit sturdy anymore). Great times that were. I was only 10 or 11 years old at that time.

I would love another Viking line with new helmets, and using the shields like the one in the CMF line, rather than the sticker on the black wheel piece they did before. Maybe they could even reuse the Warg mold from the Hobbit as large wolves, and as others have said, Smaugs mold. I would definitely get into viking sets again, since I like their torso/weapon pieces better for using as regular castle soldiers etc.

The Viking line was my favourite by far - I bought 3 copies of the viking castle (until now :grin:) and all other sets at least one time. They are full with useful parts and also offer some nice colours on the dragons.

Speaking for myself, I like how unrealistic and steretypical they made the Viking minifigs and I also love those "comical" helmets. Even if the helmets are unrealistic, the minifigs are very well recognisable, way more than if they just had "normal" (without horns) helmets.

In the end, I still think LEGO is a "toy", so not everything has to be historically accurate :wink:.

Well, it was only 7 sets :cry_sad: , I got them all, they were the sets that really gotten me into Lego. Here is the brickset link.

I remember it. It was 2005, summer. We (Mom, dad, sis and me) went to Legoland Billund for the first time. Vikings everywhere. I got the three small sets there, and the others followed quickly afterwards. Hours, no weeks of non-stop shooting the catapults, destroying the fortress, building it again, knocking vikings of their feet, kill the dragons (Nidhogg got beheaded so often, the head won't fit sturdy anymore). Great times that were. I was only 10 or 11 years old at that time.

Thanks a lot.

Your walk down memorylane really reminds me of the christmas i got the yellow castle. My dad was not that happy though since it was the first time i actually wanted to build a whole set for myself, and i kept him up till 6am or something.

These sets are looking quite good.

We should definately have some more Viking set from LEGO.

Ive seen the series Vikings, but im pretty sure its to violent to hope for LEGO picking it up as a licensed theme. But they do have insanely historical correct setups in that serie. And its also very very good. :)

I really liked the Viking theme. It was the first theme that got me to buy sets again as an adolescent. I think it's too bad the Vikings only had 7 sets and didn't last that long. If they would return, I'd have no issue with them being as they were. Sure, they weren't historically correct, but the stereotypicalness of them is what made them so much fun. Perhaps they could try to put some more variation in the headgear. Helmets with horns, coupled with somewhat more realistic helmets without horns. Having them fighting mythological creatures was also very neat. If they relaunch Vikings again, maybe LEGO could add in some giants, too?

I do believe that its even possible to do a mixed fantasy world mixing Chima ninjago and Vikings. If LEGO evolves on the LEGO movie concept, everything is possible.

In Danish news today their marketing manager said that The LEGO movie wasnt much about marketing LEGO but more about celebrating creativeness, and that Warner Bross had the biggest advantage on the whole of the actuall income. Warner bross should have been working on the movie for some 5 years and LEGO had used a lot of manhours putting them on the right course, but the actuall outcome and intake in profitt was never what really made LEGO start making the movie anyways. And i actually belive him. :laugh:

This was all a part of what TLG´s yearly profit came out with which was 6.7 Billion dkr i think .... Which is about 1.3 billion us dollars. 0.8 Billion euros.

The next LEGO movie will arrive in 2017 and the can definately do whatever they want with their univers. Building on The LEGO movie nothnig is impossible and i can defiantely see a viking theme as a possibility. A great imagenary univers can make everything happen and indeed make everything Awesome !

If LEGO plays their cards rigt they have a bright future for sure.

Edited by LEGO Family

I'm surprised we didn't see a Vikings theme this year, with the hype over How to Train Your Dragon 2. Seems like a great opportunity missed by TLG.

I'd love for Vikings to return! Mitgardia needs its Vikings! :grin:

Given that the very realistic Vikings tv series on the History Channel is beginning its second season, Lego should strike with a theme while the iron is hot.

Edited by gedren_y

I missed Vikings when it came out. The announcement of the Lord of the Rings sets brought me back. But eBay was my friend and I got 7016, 7020, and the Chess set for reasonable prices.

I would love any Vikings theme to come back. It would be a great improvement over the current Castle theme. While more realistic helmets and less cartoonish prints would be preferred, I would gladly accept the classic look.

I missed the Vikings theme due to my dark ages. I wouldn't mind seeing them return. I'm still partial to the regular medieval castle sets though. But something different wouldn't hurt. A long house would be cool, I love structures. But when you think of Vikings you think of ships. Plenty of those would be best.

As did I ! :( But now the bricklink prices are too high for me. I would also love for some more Pirates to come out...

I'll be "that one guy" then, and say the following: the Vikings line didn't fancy me the least bit, and I have no interest at all in it coming back if it's to replace a medieval castle line.

If I am correct, the viking line didn't replace a castle line. The vikings were at the same time as the knight's kingdom ll. Maybe if TLG decides to make a new viking line, it will replace the current one.

Just one more to say, I missed this and this is the first I've heard of it, but I would definitely love to see it come back.

Yes, please bring them back - I enjoyed the "Vikings versus Monster" theme from the original, but would much prefer the second approach being advocated for - the villages and life.

I've really enjoyed the Banner Saga videogames. Beautiful animation with a viking theme - Would love to see that much love for the genre/history returned in brick form.

I would love to becaues i was in the dark ages when this series released and never bought any set. They look cool with some lovely parts.